• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

We need to break up big tech

ygolo

My termites win
It's the monopsony that needs to be broken more so than the monopoly:

Maybe these companies have been over-hiring for decades, not just the two years of the pandemic. Or maybe the productivity gains from technology and process have allowed much more effiency.

How can they keep laying off people and still function, if we're at pandemic levels, if something like this we're not the case?

If it were mostly technology and process, where are all the new capabilities and other jobs that come with improvements? Are they on the horizon? Is "prompt engineer" really going to make up losses in "software engineer" for example?

I think the dark secret is that the jobs that are coming up are low skill jobs (the equivalent of data entry) to train AIs.

The other dark secret is that executives and capital (mis) allocators can't see problems anymore. Most systems are glitchy as hell and only work for the muckitymucks (because those are the only people for whom there are incentives for this stuff to work for)

ygolo

My termites win
Technofeudalism, cloud serfs, and so on...
Food for thought

The capture of commons (the internet, and content freely provided by users) and extracting rents (through addiction, attention, making the algorithms happy when creating content) does seem to have more in common with feudalism than capitalism.