• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Openness needed for AI Safety, the battle for the future of AI

ygolo

My termites win
For the smaller groups, communities, and individuals who would not want cronyism to take root in a technology that could be "more transformative than electricity":

ygolo

My termites win
Note, unlike the future of life AI open letter which excluded most people in understanding what was said, stating things in a weird sci-fi language, the language of this open letter is clear and inclusive.

As signatories to this letter, we are a diverse group — scientists, policymakers, engineers, activists, entrepreneurs, educators and journalists. We represent different, and sometimes divergent, perspectives, including different views on how open source AI should be managed and released.

Anyone can be an activist.

I've already signed.

If you aren't already an expert (very few of us are), I think the paths to learning and growing skills outside of large institutions (and increasingly only large, unelected corporations) need to be kept open.

ygolo

My termites win
Think about Amazon's, Microsoft's, and Google's capture of cloud(mainframe 2.0), Apple's and Google's capture of mobile, and Facebook's and Google's capture of advertising technology (what social media and search really are).

Imagine if Microsoft (OpenAI), Google, and Amazon (Anthropic, Titan) capture all foundation model building from now through the future, and NVIDIA captures all hardware from now through all the future.

The lobbying and Sci-Fi doomerism seems to have led to successful rent seeking by Big Tech of the government and almost total regulatory capture (again) by Big Tech.

ygolo

My termites win

I've known this for a while, but it's good people are talking about it.