• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How do people have the patience to write ridculously long posts?

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
this isn't a criticsm but rater a legit inquiry. I mean nothing against you people who do this, I just want to know where the patience to write a 5 paragraph well written coherent post comes from. I can maybe do a paragraph then it turns to gobbly gook or forget where I'm going with my thought so i have to make something up or just stop.

I put it down to litterary ambitions or/and insanity

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I have a couple long-winded posts floating around here somewhere, mostly because I want to make sure that I'm understood, which means being thorough.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
I just like to write. If I write something really long, that means I'm feeling either very inspired or very angry/indignant.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Confidence is more of a factor to me than patience in long posts. Writing a lot comes naturally to me, but do I feel sure that all of those points are justifiable when I'm done? I write and delete stuff too much.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Confidence is more of a factor to me than patience in long posts. Writing a lot comes naturally to me, but do I feel sure that all of those points are justifiable when I'm done? I write and delete stuff too much.

i usually delete stuff because i realize it's probably not worth saying or i don't want the other person to throw a tantrum. because all i said was they're wrong

i was going to argue with you, but yeah i probably don't have a lot of confidence, but i don't see what that has to do with writing long posts.

KitchenFly

I have ADDH, and I am a type nine so I am lest in touch with the ability to relate and don't trust that others will understand so I explain more than needed as if the other can not fill in the blanks for them selves like understand for them selves what I am saying like need to understand the mechanical that supports the structure, like ..? Well..maybe you get it.

I'll trust just this once, only because the word ridiculous and patience were involved within the question. And because I don't want people thinking the son of God is patiently ridiculous, while getting his message across.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Aspergers

I didn't go through all 5 pages of this thread. Would feel disappointed if no one said that earlier.

MILD Asperger (I am using the word mild here) is not always a bad thing. Some of the people most consider gifted have it.

It is a gift and curse.

However, as asperger people can't decide (does not have control over) on which area they would want to use 'this' they end up using it on areas that does not yield useful results.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
I have this uh, problem, where either my posts tend to be really short or really long. If its long, oftentimes it consists of me attepting to fill in holes-clarify meaning- just make sure that what I think I need to say... I say.

Problem is, much of the time this works against itself. What I write becomes muddled... To muddled for anyone to discern the meaning I was trying to show without really squinting to see it through all the bullshit.

Oh and sometimes... I can just get carried away with it. Sometimes Im not trying to clarify... Im just trying to develop. And I find that easier to do if I actively can do it- if I can just connect brain to something external... Then maybe I can make it grow. Idea after idea, and its so exciting sometimes... It can just carry itself. They can just carry themselves. But not always, sometimes its stressful. And... There is this fear. Now, sometimes I can have a bunch of little thought fragments jumping out at me, and I have to continuously catch them- and its like I am a person in a cartoon trying to cath 45 things in my 2 arms... And just yeah. Isnt always pretty the result of that. But I dont want to lose them, those fragments. I might never get them back, and they might be important. I might be able to build something, one of them might be a missing link to something... So sometimes... I just force them to exist. Because I cant have them fading. Its so sad to see them fade, feels like a waste. I just have to hope they build something- that having them all makes something greater... And it isnt just a disappointing pile of nothing.

So yeah. I can be wordy.

And another part of that... Is I refuse to edit. I refuse to reread my posts before I post them. Because with me... Im a hidden perfectionist. And with that comes quite a bit of this sort of black and white thinking- or actually it more just demands strategies of black and white sometimes. If I edit a post- I will never stop. And I will hate it the whole time. And I probably wouldnt post it. So I can't. The material has to be sort of raw. Either all- endless editing- or nothing-endless posts. Endless posts- like this one... Are less upsetting because I dont have to review them.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Having spent some 4-8 hours/day reading or writing for the past 20 years or so, I've developed a preference for medium lenght to long texts.

Let me illustrate with an example. A reporter is sent to interview an artist. The reporter can't just do twenty repetitions of asking one question, having it answered, published, having readers read it, comment, and suggest for a new question to ask. This would take weeks, although no-one would be bothered to finish the whole process.

Instead the reporter asks 20 questions he thinks the people would like answered, and he asks them in one meeting. This kind of question/answer format is practical, it makes better use of the time available. It's more intensive, but it's the golden standard (best practice) for many people.

Sil

This is a test.
this isn't a criticsm but rater a legit inquiry. I mean nothing against you people who do this, I just want to know where the patience to write a 5 paragraph well written coherent post comes from. I can maybe do a paragraph then it turns to gobbly gook or forget where I'm going with my thought so i have to make something up or just stop.

I'm with you-- I have no idea how people do it. I write two paragraphs and feel as if I've rambled.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I admire people who can do this consistently. I can do it and do do it but it always requires a great deal of effort and thought to say something well.

Galaxy Gazer

Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I usually end up in a similar situation to the one you described, but when I'm passionate about something, I can go on for hours.

I call this "neutral venting" because it's a way to express my thoughts to other people without interruptions, distractions, or worrying that people won't care. A quiet, reserved INTP can finally express her thoughts on that one topic she likes so much.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Simple. Copy-pasta.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can barely NOT write a long post :D

Dyslexxie

Dope& diamonds.
More like, how do people have the patience to read them? I get easily frustrated by walls of text unless the person's writing style flows well.

This is because I instinctively summarize and connect ideas, so my posts tends to be short and very ordered. Not a detail person.
Agreed. I don't really do the long post thing, unless it's something that requires through explanation, but even then...sometimes it takes me forever to even answer messages and quotes just because I can't force myself to sit down and type.

LavenderSoda

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well, I never claimed to have a life.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Many here say that they write long posts so that they're understood.

But I tend to stay concise so that I'm understood.

In my experience, a long post gives way too many 'jumping off points.' One stray statement or analogy could easily become the focus of the conversation. I'd rather answer questions or have dialogues as they come -- those offshoots are still firmly connected to the actual message.

(this would make me the worst P)

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
4word+ sentences are totally for nerds, when I want to ask "where's the toilet" I say each word separately, go run around the building and come back to say the next word in the sequence. Our exchange will be so much better and spontaneous. If I just blurted out loud "where's the toilet" I might come across like a literary type or some other nerd. So yeah, the best way is to pause between each word, give the other person a chance to reply, in order to encourage as much of interaction as possible.

NOT.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
4word+ sentences are totally for nerds, when I want to ask "where's the toilet" I say each word separately, go run around the building and come back to say the next word in the sequence. Our exchange will be so much better and spontaneous. If I just blurted out loud "where's the toilet" I might come across like a literary type or some other nerd. So yeah, the best way is to pause between each word, give the other person a chance to reply, in order to encourage as much of interaction as possible.

NOT.