• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Halloween Kills

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I mean, did you not think the fire department was going to notice and try to put that out?

(Anyone else notice the Halloween III reference? Silver shamrock….)

Tomb1

in spite of current demand for horror flicks if this one does even twenty five percent on opening weekend of what the 2018 one did i'll be impressed

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Halloween has never been a good franchise. The first film will always be a classic suspense film. I don’t consider it a real slasher. Perhaps a proto-slasher. Its effectiveness was in setting the atmosphere and building tension rather than in shocking with the gore and the brutality of the kills. It is interesting how the sequels had to be adapted to react to and top the then popular slasher style (which the original ironically helped to launch or at least influenced heavily). Halloween II (1981) is the only decent sequel but it’s a perfect exhibit in the case to be made for why this premise never worked great as a franchise. It relied too much on trying to add backstory and connections not present in the original film (Laurie is Myers’ sister rather than a random victim, his motivation was suddenly to murder his surviving relatives). This needless exposition diluted the mystery and aura surrounding “the shape”. It diluted the original film’s effectiveness, despite being a cool continuation of that story.

Halloween III is perhaps the most interesting and effective “sequel”, because it discarded the Myers storyline and attempted to tell a different story. It’s connection to the previous two films is very loose (it isn’t even set in a shared cinematic universe) lay in a shared language of visual mood and music (composed by John Carpenter. Despite the Myers theme being absent, it sounds like it is cut from the same cloth as the original score). It is more a spiritual sequel than anything else.

The 2018 Halloween was a valiant attempt to discard the lore and silly backstory established by the previous sequels (which it sought to overwrite). Yet it still makes many of the same mistakes and the filmmakers can’t seem to escape the temptation to overexplain and add needless expository elements and connections. The newest sequel looks promising, but it also looks like it’s going to largely tread old and familiar ground.

The slasher genre can only be done in so many forms. It becomes old hat fast. Occasionally we get a unique spin on it with a film like Happy Death Day, but even that one succeeded less on originality and more on mashing up the slasher formula with another old idea (Groundhog Day)

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The new movie, even moreso than the 2018 Requel, was really just a Jason movie pretending to be a Michael Myers movie. I realize a lot of people will find Jason and Myers indistinguishible, but if you go back to the source (the first Halloween film) Myers is actually very cautious and methodical (and to a lesser extent in Halloween II). He is nothing like that in the newest film. Jason was always the brutal force of nature, Michael was the careful, calculated stalker. I think Blumhouse has wanted to get a hold of the rights for Jason and Friday the 13th for years, but with all the lawsuit issues holding up any possibility of a new film, they went after the next best thing with Halloween.

But Like almost every other Halloween sequel before, it's just another Jason lite film. I liked it, but the whole time I was watching, I felt like the tone and style was way more in line with Jason movies. The whole regenerative, super strength thing didn't really come into play in the original Halloween. That was sequel bullshit added in later movies that were only filmed to capitalize on the success of other slasher films. It's ironic that Myers was one of the proto slashers of cinema, and yet he ended up becoming a clone of his own cinematic clones. The Blumhouse team tries to have it both ways--they want to recapture the essence of the original, and they somewhat achieved that in the 2018 requel, but they completely pissed that away and just turned Myers back into another boring Super Slasher in this one. Key example with the problem with this film is the scene where Myers takes on multiple firefighters. What kind of John Wick action movie bullshit was that? It's not scary. That whole sequence with the fire in the house could've been made very creepy and tense, but no, we need to fetishize Myers as a super badass slasher with some post-Matrix styled fight choreography.

It largely coasts on nostalgia for the classic slasher film era and boring "super hero slasher" tropes that were barely scary in the 80s. It hit the lowest bar possible, but that seems to be enough based on audience scores.

The constant need to remind us "40 years" and "evil dies tonight" got old really fast. I'd like to play a drinking game and take a shot every time we hear a character say "40 years ago tonight..." or "evil dies tonight". Most people watching know about the original, yet every bit of dialogue seemed written to remind us as much as possible of the lore and legend of the first film. I did, however, like the 1978 flashback scenes, much moreso than the dialogue that kept reminding us of 1978. Show, don't tell...always a good approach.

Last edited:

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I guess I'm just desensitized to the slasher sub genre, but I have seen other slashers in more recent years manage to actually be scary or offer a fresh take on the genre. Why can't any Michael Myers films manage to do that? Seriously, does anyone remember a Myers movie being scary? Last time I was scared by this franchise was when I stayed up late to watch the 1981 Halloween II on cable circa age 10.

Myers works best if you treat him like Jaws, or that Javier Bardem character in No Country For Old Men. Random stealth attacks will always be more scary than highly choreographed fight scenes with Myers doing action hero feats.

Blumhouse is really good at style, and sometimes at actual story and scares, but this movie is a good example of how hit or miss their overall catalog can be. They need to stick with original ideas, because that's when we've gotten their best products (i.e. Get Out and the Happy Death Day series)

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
After having watched the 2018 Halloween and Halloween Kills this past weekend, I thought of something else that irritates me about the writing in these newest films (well, really about the series overall, but it's especially glaring in the newest 2 films).

In the 2018 film, we are shown that the classic Shatner mask holds some sort of mystical pull for Myers. They never really explain why this would be the case. This timeline omits every other sequel from the continuity, which means it's now just a mask he wore once during some killings 40 years ago. In the original Halloween, it is literally just something he stole from a store shelf out of convenience. In Halloween 2018, the podcast host character visits the asylum and holds the mask up to Myers. We are shown and told that the mask is "calling" to him. No explanation for why that might be the case. If anything, I'd think the clown mask he wore as a 6 year old during his first kill might've held more importance to Myers, though I suppose it would've been a sillier scene and movie if that had been the mask that "called to him" and which he eventually reclaimed. Then, in Halloween Kills, the Karen character manages to yank it off and run away with it, Myers pursuing her to reclaim it. Again, why is he so attached to that particular mask? Never once explained, but hey, who cares, it's iconic and we're just supposed to buy this schlocky, awkwardly conveyed conceit that it's somehow become a part of him.

I think the writer and director wanted to acknowledge the real world significance of the mask in popular culture, but doing so within the context of a fictional universe that has now decided to ignore most of the last 40 years of Myers lore is just lazy writing. It's fan service and nothing more.

The films that came after the original Halloween have always been schlocky slasher flicks, yet they take themselves way too seriously. At least the Jason and Freddy movies more or less knew what they were and didn't usually try to come off as anything more than popcorn horror fare. Hearing Jamie Lee Curtis matter-of-factly refer to Halloween Kills as "a masterpiece" is fucking comedy gold.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Also, why do they always move Myers to different facilities right around Halloween? This has happened in multiple sequels now. You would think they would have learned their lesson by 2018--oh yeah that's right, the other sequels didn't happen.

I never thought I'd say this, but I think the original continuity of I, II, IV-VI might be my favorite now. I would choose the continuity with H20, but Resurrection is just such an abyssmal film that it drags its predecessors down like a lead weight. I'll reserve final judgment on the newest continuity for after I see Halloween Ends next year.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It is interesting how Halloween II (1981) may have influenced the direction of every subsequent Halloween sequel (except III) more than the original. Even in the films that ignore Halloween II, the influence is hard to deny.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
I guess I'm just desensitized to the slasher sub genre, but I have seen other slashers in more recent years manage to actually be scary or offer a fresh take on the genre. Why can't any Michael Myers films manage to do that? Seriously, does anyone remember a Myers movie being scary? Last time I was scared by this franchise was when I stayed up late to watch the 1981 Halloween II on cable circa age 10.

Myers works best if you treat him like Jaws, or that Javier Bardem character in No Country For Old Men. Random stealth attacks will always be more scary than highly choreographed fight scenes with Myers doing action hero feats.

Blumhouse is really good at style, and sometimes at actual story and scares, but this movie is a good example of how hit or miss their overall catalog can be. They need to stick with original ideas, because that's when we've gotten their best products (i.e. Get Out and the Happy Death Day series)

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Suspense should take priority over surprise in this type of film, since we more or less have a basic idea of what the outcome will be, thus making any surprise predictable and unexciting

this film failed to create any real sense of suspense for me.