• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Case for returning to Command Line Interfaces en masse

ygolo

My termites win
I am not saying GUIs are bad, per se. But for complex things, having the command line option is much more productive.

Whenever I need to do something on modern software, I find myself searching for steps on how to do it, and invariably I find something that is akin to:
GUI selection Level 1 > GUI selection Level 2 > GUI selection Level 3

They often come with pictures of where to click each option. Also, almost invariably, those pictures won't match my GUI. There is something different. Maybe the operating systems are different. Maybe the aspect ratio on my monitor is different--reconfiguring the GUI in unintuitive ways. Maybe the source of how to do it is out of date. Maybe the software I have is. Some combination of version mismatch makes it so I have to hunt all over the GUI system to find where my option for accessing is different.

Consider an alternate scenario where you find where the command line input is and you just type in "Word_1 Word_2 Word_3" with exactly the same meanings as the GUI options would have. This ability still exists in some software and was very common in most software for a while. What happened to that? Searching for answers on the internet is more common and easier than ever. Why create this artificial time-waster by removing the option for a command line interface to your software?

Imagine the amount of time saved by the person creating the source information and for the person using the looked up information for doing all sorts of things.

Rant about using videos for explanations

Another rant on the decline of software

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is something I appreciate about Linux. Anything can be done from the command line. Modern Linux distros also offer a GUI option for most things, but it is easily avoided. GUI's came hand in hand with multitasking, but they certainly were not required. There was a product called Desqview by Quarterdeck that allowed multitasking in a command-line, or at least non-graphical environment. It was quickly pushed out by graphical approaches.