• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

“Can we really change others? What does this mean, “Trying to change another persons subjective opinion is likened to changing or altering both the ha

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
“Can we really change others? What does this mean, “Trying to change another persons subjective opinion is likened to changing or altering both the hardware and software of their brains.”

Will you take this vow with me to make this a better and saner world? I will learn the dynamics of the unconscious. I will learn to identify my triggers and take personal responsibility for my own thoughts, feelings, speech, writing and actions.

I will endeavor to refrain from projecting my inner reality unto others in a negative, and subjective way. Thus I will help in alleviating the chaos of this world. In my own limited way, I will be making this a better world for our children and for future generations.

A friend wrote, (1). “You can’t change anyones belief system, not even children.” and
(2). “You also can’t project your belief system onto your children.”

I have an anology. The brain and our genetics is like the hard drive of a computer. In psychology the work of Dr. David Keirsey shows that our
1. Temperament
2. Intelligence
3. Personality Traits are largely predetermined. They are the domain of which Myers Briggs type a person is. In his research of four decades long, he shows their are many differences between the SP, SJ, NT and NF.

In addition the work of Biological Anthropology’s Dr. Helen Fisher show that their are brain neurochemistry and sexual hormone levels differences in the four Myers Briggs types.

38% of the population are SP’s. They have higher dopamine levels than the other types.

38% of the populace are SJ’s who have higher serotonin levels.

12% of the population are NF’s who have higher levels of estrogen. Estrogen has been correlated to the gift of empathy.,

12% of the population are NT’s who have higher testosterone.

Added to this are the different home environments of children growing up. Taken together a child’s early development plus the entirety of their life lessons represent the software of a computer.

Trying to change another persons subjective opinion, or viewpoint would be tantamount to altering both the hardware and software of an entirely different and unique human being.

What people don’t realize is that even though we live in one external reality, in actuality every person lives in an entirely different phenomenological or inner universe.

We as human beings project our inner universe erroneously unto other people and situations. Our unconscious values, beliefs and norms are made up of our societal, parental and peer expectations we learned.

We need to stop projecting our reality unto other human beings. Doing so would lead to greater peace and understanding in our world. We should discipline ourselves to understand these dynamics.

Those that continue to project their negative subjective opinions unto others are just spreading the pollution of their unhealed inner self. Those that do this do not show they are psychologically, emotionally or spiritually mature.

If a person is triggered they are unconsciously projecting their own unconscious conflicts, unresolved issues, and emotional baggage due to their psychic wound being triggered.” LightSun

Source: Why Him? Why Her?, Helen Fisher, 2009.

Source: Please Understand Me: Character & Temperament Types, David Keirsey, 1984.