• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ask an INTP anything?

yasin

Most Senior Member
1) As an engineer do you find logic or experience to be more important?
2) If hard science can only explain a small fraction of our world. (Any true scientist will agree with this statement) What frameworks can we use to understand or better yet live in and thrive in the rest of the world?

- - - Updated - - -

1) Batman is your favorite. Moving on.
2) Do you come to a conclusion and support it with logic, even if the conclusion is flawed?
3) Do you judge yourself as much as you judge others?

1) haha:D. But i would have NEVERosed batman

2) NEVER!!! I use the logic to come to the right conclusion, not to prove the conclusion right

3) yes, i hate injustice and unjust people

Pls pls pls, more questions:)

andresimon

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
1)
Don't really have one.

2)
I am rational by heart. I rationally understand the process of rationalising and when I do rationalise, I am aware I am eliciting to do and see it as an error. I believe the human mind cannot be truly rational, but we should strive to be rational.

3)
Yes I have studied various cognitive biases/fallacies and find them fascinating. It does not bother me when I catch them, in fact, I feel the opposite. People should be aware the mind is biased and often uses faulty mental shortcuts, and should be critical to all thought, including their own. It is good when you identify such errors, because it means you are aware of them and are able to rethink.

4)
That's a tough one. I'm not really that hard on others per se, but take a cynical outlook to the external world. I am hard on myself in the sense that I feel as though I lack a lot of the 'extroverted competence' most other people have. I am hard on others because I feel most people lack critical thinking, believe bullshit, are overly authoritarian; most other people lack the 'introverted competence' I have.

1) Do you admit your mistakes easily? What about in an argument?
2) Do people motivations interest you a lot? Too much at times?

andresimon

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP

2) NEVER!!! I use the logic to come to the right conclusion, not to prove the conclusion right

1) Are you over confident in your conclusions? Do you admit mistakes easily?
2) Do you care about your image? If so how much?
3) Do you try and get away with things at times? Do you feel intelligent for being able to do so?
4) Do you care about people's intentions, are motives important to you? Do you spend a lot of time thinking about and talking about other peoples motives?

andresimon

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP

#1 Do you have a hard time focusing on new tasks?
#2 Does your mind race at nights?
#3 Do you have sleep problems? How do you solve them?
#4 Do you consider yourself weird and awkward?

andresimon

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
CONSOLIDATED QUESTIONS

#1 When other people speak, do you naturally break it down or try and align with the big picture? Are you more into poking holes or synthesizing (on average).
#2 Are you dumbfounded by how others can't see it the way you see it?
#3 Are you a good technical writer?
#4 Which do you try and understand FIRST, details or big picture? You kind of answered this but exams are not a good example. You probably use big picture logic to make connections and find answers. Problem solving vs how you process information regularly.
#5 Do you avoid conflict?
#6 When you mess up does it bother you A LOT?
#7 When you make a mistake do you own it or do you argue just to argue at times?

Do you see the different parts of the system as cogs in a big machine?
Are you overconfident at times in your solutions? Does this hurt you in some ways?
Do you lack discipline and follow through when it comes to developing new skills?
Do you get bored of things after you have "figured" them out?

3) Do you try and get away with things at times? Do you feel intelligent for being able to do so?
4) Do you care about people's intentions, are motives important to you? Do you spend a lot of time thinking about and talking about other peoples motives?

1) Do you admit your mistakes easily? What about in an argument?
2) Do people motivations interest you a lot? Too much at times?

yasin

Most Senior Member

1) very overconfident, i know i'm right. But yes, i accept my mistakes very easily, if i have any

2) explain image a bit elaborately

3) give an example

4) no, i dont think or talk about other people's motives or intentions. Because i usually know what their motives are

Answer my confusions

More questions, pls:)

andresimon

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
1) very overconfident, i know i'm right. But yes, i accept my mistakes very easily, if i have any

2) explain image a bit elaborately

3) give an example

4) no, i dont think or talk about other people's motives or intentions. Because i usually know what their motives are

Answer my confusions

More questions, pls:)

1) In what situations do you find yourself wrong, often?
2) Do you care about how others see you?
3) Do you find it funny or mischievous to get away with things you know you shouldn't be doing?
4) Do you value theories or practical actions?

yasin

Most Senior Member

1) depends, what kind of tasks?

2) not usually, i get a lot of time to think the whole day

3) no, i dont have ANY sleep problem. I keep 3 alarms to wake up in the morning, used to keep 5, still failed to wake up often

4) yes, i'm much different from others. But it makes me happy to know that i'm different

rmrf

Ok more questions.

How about...

#1 When other people speak, do you naturally break it down or try and align with the big picture? Are you more into poking holes or synthesizing (on average).
#2 Are you dumbfounded by how others can't see it the way you see it?
#3 Are you a good technical writer?
#4 Which do you try and understand FIRST, details or big picture? You kind of answered this but exams are not a good example. You probably use big picture logic to make connections and find answers. Problem solving vs how you process information regularly.
#5 Do you avoid conflict?
#6 When you mess up does it bother you A LOT?
#7 When you make a mistake do you own it or do you argue just to argue at times?

1)
I try to go with the big picture, and synthesising. One of the ways of construction towards the big picture is identifying contradictions, what fits and what doesn't. I'd say I'm more into fixing holes than poking them

2)
Yes for the most part.

3)
Yes, love technical writing

4) It's a quite tricky abstract question. I think I try to construct a big picture model first, like a 'hypothesis' and then understand details with respect to their agreement with the model. I tend to begin to try linking things to larger models fairly early on. When I make mistakes, it's usually from overlooking a small detail. I can be quite precise and objective with examining specific things, always cautious to be empirical and objective, and not be quick to jump to conclusions or to automatically make assumed leaps.

5) I avoid engaging conflict, I have quite low assertiveness, but on some level I am drawn towards conflict

6) Generally yes. Even a inconsequential faux pas can be replayed in my head

7) I internally own it, but will argue if I feel like I am been attacked for it. I've been described as 'defensive'

Do you value people who can lie and get away with it?
Dishonesty is an undesirable characteristic and I don't like people who lie a lot. Often a good liar is just as delusional as they are dishonest, they are able to project sincerity because on some level they have convinced themselves, it is a tool that gives them a sense of power over reality, a way to avoid dealing with hard truths. As Cersei Lannister puts it "The truth can be what ever you make it". Truth needs objectivity and evidence.

Even though in the real world such dishonesty is unjustifiable, in the realm of fantasy, I am attracted to the mastermind hacker/social engineer, the person who can use their mental abilities to control others and get what they want through ingenious cunningness

yasin

Most Senior Member
3) Do you find it funny or mischievous to get away with things you know you shouldn't be doing?

1) i dont often find myself wrong

2) i dont care, specially in terms of ideology. But yes, i am very worried about my physical appearance (not my clothes, my face)

3) mischievous

4) what do u mean by practical actions?

More questions, plss.....

I wish to answer more questions, pls
Ask more

rmrf

1) As an engineer do you find logic or experience to be more important?
2) If hard science can only explain a small fraction of our world. (Any true scientist will agree with this statement) What frameworks can we use to understand or better yet live in and thrive in the rest of the world?

1) Both are very important. Probably experience, as you can't do much with logic alone, it needs to be applied to something. Experience requires logic to make sense of it.

2) Language and intuition. Introspection. Subjective Reality is a set of 'objects' synthesised in your consciousness, a set of rules and schema, objects can be expressed as a word. Understand that what you see is often what you are paying attention to. Everyone views reality in a slightly unique way. Objective reality is always perceived through the lens of subjective experience. Electrons have always been a part of physical reality, but a few hundred years ago, they weren't a part of reality to anyone. Grow your vocabulary, what cannot be modelled by science, can still be described by language

rmrf

Do you see the different parts of the system as cogs in a big machine?
More or less.

Are you overconfident at times in your solutions? Does this hurt you in some ways?
Not over confident, I'm usually a bit self-critical, but sometimes I overlook alternative ways of solving a problem.

Do you lack discipline and follow through when it comes to developing new skills?
Very much so. I can be quite lethargic, procrastinating, with a sluggish work ethic

Do you get bored of things after you have "figured" them out?
Kind of. Learning a new system has an exponential growth to how enjoyable it is, in the early stages. You learn the foundations, then that opens up more things to learn. After a point, it begins to plateau and something new takes over.

Yes for all 4. My sleep problems are delayed sleep phase in nature, I'm most active at nights, difficult to wake in the morning. Haven't really been able to solve that.

andresimon

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
More or less.

Not over confident, I'm usually a bit self-critical, but sometimes I overlook alternative ways of solving a problem.

Very much so. I can be quite lethargic, procrastinating, with a sluggish work ethic

Kind of. Learning a new system has an exponential growth to how enjoyable it is, in the early stages. You learn the foundations, then that opens up more things to learn. After a point, it begins to plateau and something new takes over.

Yes for all 4. My sleep problems are delayed sleep phase in nature, I'm most active at nights, difficult to wake in the morning. Haven't really been able to solve that.

What cognitive functions do you most want to develop? What do you think you are missing?
Are you more theory bound or does your framework of the world include the limitations of knowledge?
What do you think about a probabilistic view of reality?
What do you think about an empirical approach to knowledge?
Do you think just as language at times can explain what science cannot - That also their are phenomena that exists but we have no words for?
Does language shape how we see the world?
How much of our thinking is path dependent based on paradigms both past and present?
Can do you free yourself from that?
Are religions attempts to explain reality?
What religion does the best job at doing so?
Do you believe words are models?
Do different domains require a different approach?

yasin

Most Senior Member

Ask more, plsssss

- - - Updated - - -

First time doing any sort of AmA, seems like fun.

What ever comes to mind, go for it

Ask me anything

rmrf

What cognitive functions do you most want to develop? What do you think you are missing?
Are you more theory bound or does your framework of the world include the limitations of knowledge?
What do you think about a probabilistic view of reality?
What do you think about an empirical approach to knowledge?
Do you think just as language at times can explain what science cannot - That also their are phenomena that exists but we have no words for?
Does language shape how we see the world?
How much of our thinking is path dependent based on paradigms both past and present?
Can do you free yourself from that?
Are religions attempts to explain reality?
What religion does the best job at doing so?
Do you believe words are models?
Do different domains require a different approach?

1) Would like to have greater Extroverted Feeling as I would like to feel more connected to others and a greater amount of extroverted sensing (which is undefined for INTP)

2) My framework of reality is theory bound, for the most part at least. I accept the limitations of present knowledge (and perhaps knowledge itself), but we can't do much with what we do not know, so I don't believe in blind speculation or an arbitrary filling in of the gaps.

3) My view of reality is fairly probabilistic in nature. I find the idea of Bayesian epistemology very fascinating and plan on learning more about it.

4) Knowledge requires more than empiricism. You can see what is happening without knowing what is going on. Knowledge is building empirical based models that provide predictive capability of reality.

5) I take this as an almost a priori truth, of course phenomena exists that we have no words for. Whenever a new phenomena is discovered, it is added to our scientific vocabulary. For example, there was no words for 'Photoelectric effect', 'DNA Replication', 'Meiosis' a few centuries ago, although such phenomena had always been present. Likewise, there is internal phenomena that cannot be expressed in words such as those various fleeting ethereal oddities of consciousness - the strange de ja vu like stuff. Also the experiences people can have while on psychedelics transcend language but are still phenomena of human consciousness.

6) Language hugely shapes how we see the world. For example, a colour is a spectra of light, cultures have words for specific spectra of light, e.g 620-700nm light is called 'red' in english. Some cultures have more colours than English, some have less. in some languages, green is considered a shade of yellow. In Chinese, there is a 'colour' that spans both blue and green (青). I talked to a friend of mine whose partner is doing studies in Discourse analysis, her view was that reality all comes down to words.

7) A very large part of our thinking is influenced by paradigms.

8) Paradigms aren't completely bad. Why free yourself from them completely, be critical of them

9) Kind of. Spirituality and belief in God are attempts to explain life and reality, but I think there is more to organised religions than God, I see them as instruments of power and control

10) None of them do a good job, because they lack predictive capability about reality. The 'best' ones would be the ones which are the least dogmatic because even if they don't help at explaining reality, they at least won't hinder it. So from that, I'd say Buddhism

11) That's a hard one, I'll need to think more about it

12) Yes, but this is not always the case.

rmrf

Some questions for [MENTION=24669]yasin[/MENTION] as you seem very keen.

1: What subjects are your top interests?
2: What would you like to learn more about?
3: What are your hobbies, how do you have fun?
4: What are the best and worst things about humanity?
5: Are you an optimist or pessimist?
6: Do you see yourself more as square and serious or rebellious and free spirited?
7: What do you hope to accomplish this year?
8: What types of people annoy you the most?
9: What types of people inspire you the most?
10: When did you first hear about personality typing?
11: What about it interested you?

andresimon

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
1) Would like to have greater Extroverted Feeling as I would like to feel more connected to others and a greater amount of extroverted sensing (which is undefined for INTP)

2) My framework of reality is theory bound, for the most part at least. I accept the limitations of present knowledge (and perhaps knowledge itself), but we can't do much with what we do not know, so I don't believe in blind speculation or an arbitrary filling in of the gaps.

3) My view of reality is fairly probabilistic in nature. I find the idea of Bayesian epistemology very fascinating and plan on learning more about it.

4) Knowledge requires more than empiricism. You can see what is happening without knowing what is going on. Knowledge is building empirical based models that provide predictive capability of reality.

5) I take this as an almost a priori truth, of course phenomena exists that we have no words for. Whenever a new phenomena is discovered, it is added to our scientific vocabulary. For example, there was no words for 'Photoelectric effect', 'DNA Replication', 'Meiosis' a few centuries ago, although such phenomena had always been present. Likewise, there is internal phenomena that cannot be expressed in words such as those various fleeting ethereal oddities of consciousness - the strange de ja vu like stuff. Also the experiences people can have while on psychedelics transcend language but are still phenomena of human consciousness.

6) Language hugely shapes how we see the world. For example, a colour is a spectra of light, cultures have words for specific spectra of light, e.g 620-700nm light is called 'red' in english. Some cultures have more colours than English, some have less. in some languages, green is considered a shade of yellow. In Chinese, there is a 'colour' that spans both blue and green (青). I talked to a friend of mine whose partner is doing studies in Discourse analysis, her view was that reality all comes down to words.

7) A very large part of our thinking is influenced by paradigms.

8) Paradigms aren't completely bad. Why free yourself from them completely, be critical of them

9) Kind of. Spirituality and belief in God are attempts to explain life and reality, but I think there is more to organised religions than God, I see them as instruments of power and control

10) None of them do a good job, because they lack predictive capability about reality. The 'best' ones would be the ones which are the least dogmatic because even if they don't help at explaining reality, they at least won't hinder it. So from that, I'd say Buddhism

11) That's a hard one, I'll need to think more about it

12) Yes, but this is not always the case.

1. Does a bird have to understand flying in order to fly?
2. Must you understand something in order to make it useful to you?
3. Could rapid testing and tinkering produce better results than prediction?
4. How much of knowledge is subtractive vs additive? (What we know to NOT be true vs what we know to be true - We cannot say what got is but we can safely say what god is not.)
5. Is science used as an instrument of control? If yes, more or less than religion?

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Don't know if this was already asked, but do you ever consider a different type for yourself? How did your typing come to be?

yasin

Most Senior Member
Some questions for [MENTION=24669]yasin[/MENTION] as you seem very keen.

1: What subjects are your top interests?
2: What would you like to learn more about?
3: What are your hobbies, how do you have fun?
4: What are the best and worst things about humanity?
5: Are you an optimist or pessimist?
6: Do you see yourself more as square and serious or rebellious and free spirited?
7: What do you hope to accomplish this year?
8: What types of people annoy you the most?
9: What types of people inspire you the most?
10: When did you first hear about personality typing?
11: What about it interested you?

1) physics, psychology, religion, god, i'm a bit distracted from physics and psychology toward god and religion since about a year
2) almost nothing. But yes, there's a secret wish to learn more about a secret thing
3) i actually dont have any specific hobby
4) dont know
5) extremely optimist
6) rebellious and free spirited
7) a secret thing
8) ENTJ, ENTP, ESTJ
9) INTP/INTJ
10) I searched in google, "psychology test" and found it
11) i said before, one of the subjects that interests me most, is psychology. I often wished i could talk with a psychologist, who would explain me

More questions pls

And how do u mention someone's name in this place.