• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ask an INTP anything?

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
01010011 01100101 01100011 01101111 01101110 01100100 00100000 01101110 01100001 01110100 01110101 01110010 01100101 00111111

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Oh time to return your INTP badge.

Eh I only learned it- more difficult to 'break' than igpay atinlay, to pass notes to one friend in class one year. Kind of fun initially, and pretty easy to learn. Better than hexidecimal, familiar?Comp classes helped.

rmrf

Is your avatar your real photo?
Yeah.

How often do you hate people and to what extent?
Out of people I actually know, there is no one I hate right now, people I dislike I simply view as noxious entities to be avoided.

Hate for me usually functions in an all or nothing manner, generally I'm a tolerant, placid, and always quite forgiving, but when on the receiving end of gratuitous aggressions, I can form quite intense and visceral hatreds, that usually fizzle out quickly. When I feel hate, it is almost never towards specific individuals, but ideas, concepts, and organisations I hate, things I perceive to be aggressors such as tyrants, police brutality, etc,.

andresimon

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
#1 Do INTP's start with the details and then build towards a bigger picture?
#2 If you don't understand all the pieces do you feel as if you don't understand anything?
#3 Are you flexible in the way you learn or do you HAVE to understand things with a certain approach?
#4 Do you have a desire to be a hero?
#5 Do you enjoy mindless movies at times?
#6 Did you read fantasy novels as a child? Like Lord of the Rings.

lets start with these.

yasin

Most Senior Member
Yeah.

Out of people I actually know, there is no one I hate right now, people I dislike I simply view as noxious entities to be avoided.

Hate for me usually functions in an all or nothing manner, generally I'm a tolerant, placid, and always quite forgiving, but when on the receiving end of gratuitous aggressions, I can form quite intense and visceral hatreds, that usually fizzle out quickly. When I feel hate, it is almost never towards specific individuals, but ideas, concepts, and organisations I hate, things I perceive to be aggressors such as tyrants, police brutality, etc,.

How religious did u use to be throughout your life?

- - - Updated - - -

#2 If you don't understand all the pieces do you feel as if you don't understand anything?
#3 Are you flexible in the way you learn or do you HAVE to understand things with a certain approach?

lets start with these.

How often do u lie?

andresimon

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
How religious did u use to be throughout your life?

- - - Updated - - -

How often do u lie?

Me? or the INTP?

Better question for the INTP. Do you value people who can lie and get away with it?

andresimon

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Probably this is the most interesting post for me on this thread.

Ask me anything. I'd be happier if you ask more than 5 questions:happy2:

Who is your favorite super hero?
Do you rationalize more or are you rational?
Do you catch your own logical inconsistencies? Does it bother you?
Are you as hard on yourself as you are on others? Does this make you feel depressed?

rmrf

lets start with these.

#1 is a tricky one. Generally I almost intuitively integrate details with a bigger picture on the fly. I find it difficult to accurately articulate what I mean, take this example. When I'm revising for an exam, I focus on learning the overall principals and big picture. When a question about a specific detail comes up in the test, usually rather than recalling the 'fact' from memory, I synthesise it from applying the overall understanding of the system. This approach works quite well if it is a topic that interests me.

#2, Kind of the opposite. I usually have good intuition and so on some level feel like I understand things even if I am not fully versed in all the details. I still don't like it when I don't understand all the pieces, I want to know how everything works.

There is no scripted approach to learning. I see learning as an outcome rather than a task in itself. Usually I learn things form the same way, building a system and mental dictionary, and 'playing' with that system, until it becomes an intuitive thought process.

I think everyone has some trace of that desire, I think less so than most for me, however. I'd more want to be seen as a 'badass' or 'boss' than a hero. Someone respect, with great abilities, with a cool and reserved exterior.

Yeah, occasionally they can be appreciated.

Never been drawn to fiction reading, it just doesn't immerse me. Despite the fact I am 'well-read', I've never been much of a book person, as I cannot sustained engagement/attention in things that are not interactive (diagnosed ADHD), I read a lot on my computer, usually scientific, prosaic stuff. I am much more of a writer than a reader.

How religious am I
Been an atheist all my life. The notion of gods, demons and afterlives was always incongruent to my view of reality. When I was around 9 or 10, I contemplated what reality must appear like to someone who actually believes these religious ideas as having material existence, there is some being that is actually influencing things; this religious stuff is more than just symbolic, abstract words (my thoughts were something to the effect of "they actually believe this shit in the 3D world"). When I was around 12, up to about 17ish, I had the 'internet atheist' attitude of religion irking me. Now I have a more mature attitude of seeing it as something not worth any attention or time, I kind of feel sorry for the pious, as I feel as though their creativity and ability to connect with reality has been lost.

How often do I lie
I find that lying is a poor strategy for deception (and I am terrible at it), so I would change the topic, or say nothing, or say something irrelevant rather than lie. I sometimes find myself doing trivial lies when my family asks me mundane questions about innocuous things where the aim isn't suppression/deception but brevity and to shorten the conversation.

andresimon

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
#1 is a tricky one. Generally I almost intuitively integrate details with a bigger picture on the fly. I find it difficult to accurately articulate what I mean, take this example. When I'm revising for an exam, I focus on learning the overall principals and big picture. When a question about a specific detail comes up in the test, usually rather than recalling the 'fact' from memory, I synthesise it from applying the overall understanding of the system. This approach works quite well if it is a topic that interests me.

#2, Kind of the opposite. I usually have good intuition and so on some level feel like I understand things even if I am not fully versed in all the details. I still don't like it when I don't understand all the pieces, I want to know how everything works.

There is no scripted approach to learning. I see learning as an outcome rather than a task in itself. Usually I learn things form the same way, building a system and mental dictionary, and 'playing' with that system, until it becomes an intuitive thought process.

I think everyone has some trace of that desire, I think less so than most for me, however. I'd more want to be seen as a 'badass' or 'boss' than a hero. Someone respect, with great abilities, with a cool and reserved exterior.

Never been drawn to fiction reading, it just doesn't immerse me. Despite the fact I am 'well-read', I've never been much of a book person, as I cannot sustained engagement/attention in things that are not interactive (diagnosed ADHD), I read a lot on my computer, usually scientific, prosaic stuff. I am much more of a writer than a reader.

Been an atheist all my life. The notion of gods, demons and afterlives was always incongruent to my view of reality. When I was around 9 or 10, I contemplated what reality must appear like to someone who actually believes these religious ideas as having material existence, there is some being that is actually influencing things; this religious stuff is more than just symbolic, abstract words (my thoughts were something to the effect of "they actually believe this shit in the 3D world"). When I was around 12, up to about 17ish, I had the 'internet atheist' attitude of religion irking me. Now I have a more mature attitude of seeing it as something not worth any attention or time, I kind of feel sorry for the pious, as I feel as though their creativity and ability to connect with reality has been lost.

I find that lying is a poor strategy for deception (and I am terrible at it), so I would change the topic, or say nothing, or say something irrelevant rather than lie. I sometimes find myself doing trivial lies when my family asks me mundane questions about innocuous things where the aim isn't suppression/deception but brevity and to shorten the conversation.

Ok more questions.

How about...

#1 When other people speak, do you naturally break it down or try and align with the big picture? Are you more into poking holes or synthesizing (on average).
#2 Are you dumbfounded by how others can't see it the way you see it?
#3 Are you a good technical writer?
#4 Which do you try and understand FIRST, details or big picture? You kind of answered this but exams are not a good example. You probably use big picture logic to make connections and find answers. Problem solving vs how you process information regularly.
#5 Do you avoid conflict?
#6 When you mess up does it bother you A LOT?
#7 When you make a mistake do you own it or do you argue just to argue at times?

yasin

Most Senior Member
Are you as hard on yourself as you are on others? Does this make you feel depressed?

1) dont have any favourite, but if you ask me to choose, give a few options

2) did not understand your question

3) yes! I often find logical mistakes in my own explanations/arguments. It doesn't bother me at all. Finding the flaw in my argument means i can improve it more. But yes, i feel frustrated as long as i have not found a new solution for replacing the flawful part

4) hard in terms of what?

Answer my confusions so that i can answer your questions.

Ask more if you can...i'd very happy to answer:happy2:

andresimon

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP

1) As an engineer do you find logic or experience to be more important?
2) If hard science can only explain a small fraction of our world. (Any true scientist will agree with this statement) What frameworks can we use to understand or better yet live in and thrive in the rest of the world?

- - - Updated - - -

1) dont have any favourite, but if you ask me to choose, give a few options

2) did not understand your question

3) yes! I often find logical mistakes in my own explanations/arguments. It doesn't bother me at all. Finding the flaw in my argument means i can improve it more. But yes, i feel frustrated as long as i have not found a new solution for replacing the flawful part

4) hard in terms of what?

Answer my confusions so that i can answer your questions.

Ask more if you can...i'd very happy to answer:happy2:
1) Batman is your favorite. Moving on.
2) Do you come to a conclusion and support it with logic, even if the conclusion is flawed?
3) Do you judge yourself as much as you judge others?

rmrf

1)
Don't really have one.

2)
I am rational by heart. I rationally understand the process of rationalising and when I do rationalise, I am aware I am eliciting to do and see it as an error. I believe the human mind cannot be truly rational, but we should strive to be rational.

3)
Yes I have studied various cognitive biases/fallacies and find them fascinating. It does not bother me when I catch them, in fact, I feel the opposite. People should be aware the mind is biased and often uses faulty mental shortcuts, and should be critical to all thought, including their own. It is good when you identify such errors, because it means you are aware of them and are able to rethink.

4)
That's a tough one. I'm not really that hard on others per se, but take a cynical outlook to the external world. I am hard on myself in the sense that I feel as though I lack a lot of the 'extroverted competence' most other people have. I am hard on others because I feel most people lack critical thinking, believe bullshit, are overly authoritarian; most other people lack the 'introverted competence' I have.

andresimon

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP

Do you see the different parts of the system as cogs in a big machine?
Are you overconfident at times in your solutions? Does this hurt you in some ways?
Do you lack discipline and follow through when it comes to developing new skills?
Do you get board of things after you have "figured" them out?