• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Can swimming be an alternative for gym?

Tonitrum

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have been into a Gym for 4 months, and to be honest repeating the same machinery exercise for 1 and half hour straight 3 times a week just gets me crazy, I dont understand how people can find enjoyment in this constant repetition that is both tiring and boring.

So I want to ask a question if swimming can be an alternative option for gym? I mean like a sportive and extensive swimming, not like casualy going to the pool. I want to know if swimming can be just as good and efficient just as normal gym, with the addition that It's actualy much more fun.

Because to be honest, my goal is not to get like big and huge with muscles to the point that I am as wide as a bus, but It's more that I want to simply get properly toned, fit and have my body simply look attractive and beautiful.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have been into a Gym for 4 months, and to be honest repeating the same machinery exercise for 1 and half hour straight 3 times a week just gets me crazy, I dont understand how people can find enjoyment in this constant repetition that is both tiring and boring.

So I want to ask a question if swimming can be an alternative option for gym? I mean like a sportive and extensive swimming, not like casualy going to the pool. I want to know if swimming can be just as good and efficient just as normal gym, with the addition that It's actualy much more fun.

Because to be honest, my goal is not to get like big and huge with muscles to the point that I am as wide as a bus, but It's more that I want to simply get properly toned, fit and have my body simply look attractive and beautiful.
I'm not a fitness expert, but as far as I know I believe it can be. I think with swimming, you're engaging a large portion of your muscles at the same time. And Michael Phelps is pretty well-defined, isn't he?

I think the ideal form of exercise for me is hiking (because it's not so repetitive), although that doesn't build the upper limbs. I'm envious of people who live in the western states who have all kinds of great access to trails.

Last edited:

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

The type of swimming you're describing can be a highly effective full-body workout, if you stay committed and also pay attention to form. From what I understand, anyway.

Tomb1

Swimming is better than machines. Outdoors is better than indoors when applicable.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Swimming and cycling are both fun workouts that can double as good outdoor exercises. I think ideally people should either swim, run or cycle, then use the gym as a supplemental routine rather than spending all of their time in the gym. Vitamin D and fresh air are important and we lose that being stuck inside a stuffy gym.