• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Am I an extrovert or an introvert?

Ernest Pennington

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I currently go with intp, though I often get intj on mbti tests. I don’t have any friends at school. I am shy and don’t talk to others a lot because I don’t know how to chitchat. I prefer deep conversations. I take pride in my logic and I want to be intelligent.
However, most of my energy comes from talking to people. I don’t get energy from being alone. I want to be popular. I want to have many friends, but I don’t. Is it that I am just a shy extrover?

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
You could just be ambivert, dude.

Then you could simply combine one introverted type on one system and an extravert one in the other.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I currently go with intp, though I often get intj on mbti tests. I don’t have any friends at school. I am shy and don’t talk to others a lot because I don’t know how to chitchat. I prefer deep conversations. I take pride in my logic and I want to be intelligent.
However, most of my energy comes from talking to people. I don’t get energy from being alone. I want to be popular. I want to have many friends, but I don’t. Is it that I am just a shy extrover?

What I crossed out is irrelevant. It involves your skill level and level of experience, which isn't related to what your type is. Even if you're shy, that only indicates an aversion (for whatever reason) to your type of preferred interaction. Knowing what you would prefer when the impediments (such as being shy, etc) are gone is what would be more telling about your type. Taking pride in logic and wanting to be intelligent also has nothing to do with the E/I axis.

MBTI dichotomies come in a spectrum- you're not either 100% E or 100% I. The question is which are you closer to, E or I? How many more E-traits do you have over I-traits, and vice-versa?

This might help: https://personalityplaybook.com/2014/09/21/mbti-step-ii-the-40-facets-of-the-16-types/

It is also important to understand that Extraversion in MBTI isn't (just) about being a social butterfly. You can be an incredibly quiet ESFP who is reflective but needs to be out all the time (dominant Se = Extraverted Sensing).

E/I denotes where and how you get your energy from- do you need/prefer more stimulation or less stimulation, and what kind? Are you the typical social butterfly? Do you go out a lot? Do you start a lot of projects? Do you feel uneasy if you've spent too much time "doing nothing"? Are you always "on the go" and starting things up?

Or are you "low energy"- do you tend to focus / stick to one big thing a time? Do you prefer reflecting on your experiences more than actually experiencing them? Do you find yourself needing to 'decompress' a lot before you are on the go again? Do you find that you often need or want things to wind down?

Looking at the link I posted might help in figuring out which facets you are more E in, which facets you are more I in, and then you can tally up which side you fall on more heavily. It could even be an extremely even split- 55%-45%, say. You could also be, for example, strongly on the 'Gregarious' facet but otherwise introverted on everything else, putting you solidly as an Introvert MBTI-wise, even if you were socially an extrovert.

Another important thing is despite being popular, how frequently you would like to be? How much 'social maintenance' would you like to do? How much would you like to interact, and how wide should the social circle be? A lower frequency means you might be split evenly on E/I. If you need a lot of down time but want to be otherwise well-known, maybe you're just an introvert who wants to be popular.

I do think E/I is the least important dichotomy due to how dynamic it is compared to the other facets- for example, an 'introvert' can be on the go and get absolutely nuts when doing something they love. Functions-wise, E/I is also the only dichotomy where changing dichotomies changes nothing about which functions you have, only the order they are in.