• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

2017 Oscar Nomination Discussion

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Okay, I'm getting choked up. This is a nice tapestry of sound and visual in memoriam. She sounds great.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Come on Matt -- "JASON BOURNE" THAT MOFO!!!!!

You worked so hard on that movie, you don't need this crap1

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Jennifer Aniston might as well be wearing a high-cut one-piece and a towel.

... Bill Paxton just got a call-out.

For a minute I was like, "Are they playing her on to a Streisand song cause she's started to look like Bahbrah as she's aged?"

Then I realized it was the in memoriam section and I realized I was reaching.

Midler poster was rude and I loved it.

I feel like La La Land is going to take Best Director and Best Picture. :/ Which is a shame, Manchester by the Sea really should get Best Picture. It's an impressive movie. Best Director should go to Jenkins for Moonlight, because that's usually the up and coming auteur's get a nod.

I don't really have a take on Best Actor and Best Actress. I think odds are Affleck/Denzel for Actor and Stone/Huppert for Actress? I'm still pulling for Portman, although Huppert in Elle is just an absolute force.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
More Kimmel - Matt Damon. Pretty funny.

Ben Affleck looks bloated.

And grey. Both of them.

EDIT: No surprise about Lonergan and best original screenplay. Although I really enjoyed The Lobster.
Lonergan does a funny walk-in the movie, almost getting into a fistfight with Casey Affleck's character.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't really have a take on Best Actor and Best Actress. I think odds are Affleck/Denzel for Actor and Stone/Huppert for Actress? I'm still pulling for Portman, although Huppert in Elle is just an absolute force.

Yeah on Actor, although it still seems to be Portman/Stone for best actress and Elle is darker horse.

... Moonlight got best adapted Screenplay. It's hard to be sad because it was good.
Arrival was pretty amazing, though, if you've seen what it was adapted from.

-----

As a complete side note, there are a lot of non-white winners and nominees this year.

----

Whoops, political speech. Although it's moonlight. The whole movie is about the roles we get trapped in, esp from the perspective of various minorities.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah on Actor, although it still seems to be Portman/Stone for best actress and Elle is darker horse.

... Moonlight got best adapted Screenplay. It's hard to be sad because it was good.

Having not seen any of these movies (yet). I wasn't surprised because I had actually heard of the story from which Moonlight was adapted. So, it was getting a lot of attention.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm still crossing my fingers.

aVMoDWJkQkrx.jpg

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

-----

As a complete side note, there are a lot of non-white winners and nominees this year.

----

Whoops, political speech. Although it's moonlight. The whole movie is about the roles we get trapped in, esp from the perspective of various minorities.

They're honestly trying. The amount of effort that Hollywood put forth in just the past year is really moving to see, and makes me super hopeful. It sucks to be so passionate about films, and then feel like the discussion of someone looking like you being included in one is always accompanied by a "whomp whomp" noise. Either way, they made a beautiful movie and I'm glad they got recognized for it.

Best Actor/Actress coming up. :banana:

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone know what the deal with the following are:

1. Sweets falling from the sky
  2. Ribbons?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Rex is the worst. She has cursed the Oscars.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Halle looking ageless, as always.

La La Land - Best Director. Chazell (sp)
[MENTION=7254]Wind Up Rex[/MENTION] Kimmel had a candy drop because actors were probably hungry.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Does anyone know what the deal with the following are:

1. Sweets falling from the sky
  2. Ribbons?

The sweets are just this year's schtick. Their version of Oprah giving away cars I guess

[MENTION=7254]Wind Up Rex[/MENTION] Kimmel had a candy drop because actors were probably hungry.

Sitting in poofy chairs has never been so arduous.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Great Google photos advertisement.

Why am I seeing an Avatar docu-ad?
EDIT: Oh, Disney area opening.
YEGADS WHAT IS THAT AWFUL CGI AVATAR NATIVE???

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Rex is the worst. She has cursed the Oscars.

Bull! I fell on my sword and call this. :mad::cry:

Halle looking ageless, as always.

La La Land - Best Director. Chazell (sp)

Girl, if I look like that at 50/pull dudes half as hot as she does, I'll be doing alright.

Damien Chazelle looks like John Mayer after he'd battled TB for a few years, unsuccessfully.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Jack Nicholson was fine as hell back in the day.

Also, Brie Larson was incredible in Room. That was an extraordinary movie.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Was even Ryan Gosling confused as to that clip?? :laugh:

I love Viggo!

Casey Affleck looks like he was in the Revenant cast.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yay for Casey!!! I hope he doesn't say awkward shit to Denzel like last time.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Damn. Casey pulled it off.

I didn't care much for Ryan Gosling's performance and didn't see the Andrew Garfield performance, but the remaining three were excellent. In fact, there's a similarity between all three -- none of them gave a shit about caring whether the audience liked them. They really played their characters fearlessly.