User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I think all lifeframe belief sets are that way (whether we're talking religion, or psychology, or whatever.) And at best, they are just facets or windows -- isolated and focused views of a complex entity (life) in order to be able to dig more deeply in that isolated/narrower framework. They are viewpoints. But because of that, they don't encompass all truth, just part of it -- like a facet of the gem is a truthful part of the gem, but it does not represent the whole gem, and you need to see all the facets to get a real sense of the true makeup and reality of the gem.

Therapy typically is determined based on what the patient is dealing is with and the personality style of the patient.
    Ok I think I generalized, some therapists are full of BS, not the therapy itself, not the theory, because these theories are the best interpretations/solutions people came up with to fix certain issues.
    But the people, not that's the issue. I get the impression that therapists avoid saying I don't know, hell you can always add nobody knows why...and it will sound better.
    However I found a good, rational one, so I sticked with her, and she helped a lot. But till I found her I ran into a lot of BS from others.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

I just came back from mine a few hours ago. He told me to stop overthinking and overanalyzing, to consciously slow down my mental processes so as to not wear out my batteries.."You talk too fast because you think so fast. Talk slower so you force yourself to think slower to give yourself a break ... When you face a problem you immediately consider so many aspects it paralyzes you. Think simpler and slower to avoid falling into the same thought patterns and control your thoughts an behavior." So much for Ti being a big help!

The problem is implementing those strategies.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by guesswho View Post
    Ok I think I generalized, some therapists are full of BS, not the therapy itself, not the theory, because these theories are the best interpretations/solutions people came up with to fix certain issues.
    But the people, not that's the issue. I get the impression that therapists avoid saying I don't know, hell you can always add nobody knows why...and it will sound better. However I found a good, rational one, so I sticked with her, and she helped a lot. But till I found her I ran into a lot of BS from others.
    It depends on the therapist. There's hacks in every profession, there's also a lot of hacks writing books with their own pet theories, and saying "I don't know" I think is actually the sign of an honest person. My good therapists actually were just open-ended, didn't pretend to know all truth, and just asked me lots of questions and helped me find my own way.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    I just came back from mine a few hours ago. He told me to stop overthinking and overanalyzing, to consciously slow down my mental processes so as to not wear out my batteries.."You talk too fast because you think so fast. Talk slower so you force yourself to think slower to give yourself a break ... When you face a problem you immediately consider so many aspects it paralyzes you. Think simpler and slower to avoid falling into the same thought patterns and control your thoughts an behavior." So much for Ti being a big help!

The problem is implementing those strategies.
    Yea they tell me the same thing, you think too much, you analyze too much. I feel good when I think a lot and analyze a lot, I guess there's a difference between thinking/analyzing and ruminating or whatever it's called, thinking about something to relieve you of anxiety. But what am I supposed to do? Watch tv and think about nothing? Be entertained into not thinking?

My therapist told me to meditate to take me to a wonderful non thinking mode. I never did that. Why would I do that?! That's BS. 'stop thinking and enjoy life'.

I guess all functions can malfunction. Ti gets very obsessive. It's nice to talk to someone who's going trough similar things.

PS: you should watch: In Treatment, it's a very interesting TV show.

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

These posts sound all too familiar. When I went to a marriage counselor earlier this year, I was basically told the same thing.
    "You're thinking about this too much. Reading too much into this. You just need to focus on your husband's needs so he won't cheat again. He misses his girlfriend." I told her she didn't know what the fuck she was talking about and that if I couldn't fully understand what the issue/problem was, how was I just supposed to 'fix' anything. And when I stopped thinking, stopped analyzing and did something that I didn't fully understand is when I usually screwed myself.

She almost got herself hurt.

MBTI
    INTP

I think the problem with Ti types is not that we think too much--it's that sometimes when the Ti is turned upon ourselves, we come up with the wrong conclusions. We can't see ourselves accurately, and we can interpret something that happens to us incorrectly, and then use that errant information to create an inaccurate model, if that makes sense. I also can sometimes negatively predict my way out of trying things that would possibly bring me joy. So much for being smart. :-P
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

I don´t think anybody suggests that the solution is to turn into a zombie. The trick is to use your natural tendency towards detached analysis to recognize certain cognitive patterns and consciously steer away from them. So it´s not "think less" but "think better/healthier". Slowing down can only be a temporary aid in learning to do that, not and end in itself.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INTP

I hear that, Redbone!

Also, I think I'd have punched her after, "He misses his girlfriend."
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I think the problem with Ti types is not that we think too much--it's that sometimes when the Ti is turned upon ourselves, we come up with the wrong conclusions. We can't see ourselves accurately, and we can interpret something that happens to us incorrectly, and then use that errant information to create an inaccurate model, if that makes sense. I also can sometimes negatively predict my way out of trying things that would possibly bring me joy. So much for being smart. :-P
    This. Now get out of my head!
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Exactly. I think this is why it's important to use Ne (or Se) to keep all data inputs open rather than closing them prematurely like Ti often tends to do. This is how I escaped my own little world.