half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Cenomite View Post
    Mostly. I suck at classes that require mass, mindless memorization (like Bio).
    I hated biology with a passion.

Quote Originally Posted by avolkiteshvara View Post
    Almost flunked out of highschool, probably because it is run by sensors.

Did well in college.
    Same, but I still graduated a few years early. I got into a good school due to my SATs. I did well enough in high school, but I could have done a lot better if I wasn't out back getting high all day. School was so boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Unique View Post
    Being an NT,

Did you excel at school?

Is theory easier for intuitive types?

Did you find yourself drifting into your own world, wanting to come up with your own theory's, not really caring about the ones being taught?

In your opinion what temperament are schools most geared towards? SJ, SP, NT or NF ?

Any other thoughts on school?
    Abt high school:
    *I excelled in courses that I attended. I always got As on all my exams and papers, but I had such poor attendance that I almost failed out.
    *Theory was simple, but they never taught theory - just rote memorization.
    *Always drifted into own world, skipped classes like it was my religion and passed notes relentlessly.
    *School is geared towards SJs, imo.
    *I hated high school. I hate the way everything is taught. I hate learning something the first day and then listening to the teacher repeat the same damn thing for the next 2 weeks.

For all levels of education: I resent having to do homework because if I have to sit through the class, I shouldn't have to take the material home afterward and learn it properly on my own. I am a firm believer in either studying from the book or going to class, but not both because that's a waste of my time. But maybe that's just me...

MBTI
    crak
    Enneagram
    sax
    Socionics
    adhd

Did you excel at school?

no. i occasionally pulled out an A. for the most part, i didnt do homework or pay attention in class or hand my half-assed assingments in on time or even turn up to class. any motivation i did have disppeared when i realised that almost anyone could be at the top of the class and get good grades.
    they never let us take intellectual adventures which means i was never stimulated.
    i think you'll find a loose P-low achievement/J- high acheivment pattern.

its our/my natural language.

Did you find yourself drifting into your own world, wanting to come up with your own theory's, not really caring about the ones being taught?

YES. i dont think i could even help myself.
    In english/social studies classes it paid off once or twice (but usually not) and i beat everyone and was commended much to everyones disgust (they had already pegged me as a poor acheiver). tasks in which were apparently about creativity and thinking for yourself were actually worse than the usual. the person who wrote quotes from teh book we were intrepreting then put glitter around the page got an A while i, who came up with a different theme/issue in the book, got a C. the comment being, "this isnt what i told you to write/i dont get it". in mathatical adn technical subjects i laways wanted to figure out how to solve a porblem from scratch but i didnt exactly have the time or the ingenuity to do so in a test in which we were only meant to remember and repeat things said in class.

In your opinion what temperament are schools most geared towards? SJ, SP, NT or NF ?

SJ. "yay, data for me to memorise!" its funny how they always seemed to challenge me and declare themselves as more intelligent because they brought all the right things to class, sounded like parrots and mostly usually had better grade averages but when i easily beat my estj friend on aptitutde tests and some class tests i didnt study for the estj sulked and wounldnt talk to me all day, only to bitch about me behind me back. for some reason you cant be silly/dreamy and smart at the same time? one of the things i always excelled at comphrehnsion but whenever our results came back, apparently i fluked it. an esfj was alwasy calling me stupid aswell, yet their aptitute test scores where horrible and mine were awsome, ... must've fluked that too.

i think all judgers are more likley to do well at school. SJ > NJ

i actually came out adn told my parents that i felt like i was trapped in a box without light and they just shrugged their shoulders at me because they didnt get it... (because theyre both Js?). it was horrible, i felt a suffocating fish out of water. i think i have learning differences on top of also being an unhealhty ennegream 5 . i dropped the ball completly by the end of it.
    some teachers were alright. naturally i fell in love with the ones that thought i was gifted and/or realised i had learning differences. but for the most part teachers never even knew my name, let alone how my mind worked.
    i have so much more baggage you wouldn't believe. but i wont spoilt the thread.

to sum up: i hate that shithole
    Last edited by Ulaes; 05-28-2009 at 07:26 PM.

Senior Member iamathousandapples's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

2. I never really saw much theory in my time. It was just how to do it.
    5. Too many people for anything to actually get done, or to ease my patience
    1. Yes, even though I never studied.
    3. I always did things my own way because the way that was taught was always 10x longer and more useless than my way.
    4. SJs definitely

Senior Thread Terminator Aerithria's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Did you excel at school?
    That I did.

For those that are interested in theory, yes.

Heh, yeah. And I did, too. Luckily I had several N teachers who were willing to put up with me.

SJs, overall, though some teachers weren't opposed to the occasional bought of N-ness. There was one that had more theoretical discussion in his class than actual work. It was definitely a fun class. That was my high school, though. My university seems to be fairly NF.

At least at the high school level, school is one of those things that can be 'figured out'. The reason I breezed through it is because I managed to figure out where I could draw the line between actually working and simply bullshitting my work, which gave me fairly decent grades and a lot of free time to learn the things I was actually interested in.
    [insert funny quote/saying/etc.]

MBTI
    INTx
    Enneagram

Learning is good but school is a little bit of learning with a whole load of other stuff thrown in there.

videodrones; questions Verfremdungseffekt's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Eh?

Incidentally, I've one degree fewer than I might because my professor didn't understand my thesis paper and I wasn't in the mood to write a new one to placate him.

I figured, well, I've gone through the process. I've done what's expected of me. Who cares about a piece of paper.

On the other side of the line, one day I strolled into my high school history class to find we were having an exam. I wasn't even sure what we had been studying. I was to complete three or five essay questions, each of which demanded a couple of thousand words. So, well, after staring into space for a while, I just wrote random stories off the top of my head, couching them in reality with the occasional historical detail. I got a B+ on the exam; the only red marks were on the historical details.

MBTI
    INTP

1. I was put in gifted classes. My grades were okay. Never below a 3.0, usually above a 3.5. But I am really, really lazy and do homework during class the day it's due, so in my mind I don't really excel. According to my grades I do, in every class except math.
    So, overall, sure.

2. I don't know. judging from my and everyone else in the thread's response, yes.

3. I drifted off into my own world after learning what they wanted me to.

4. SJ.

5. School celebrates mediocrity and it is a creativity sucker.
    Unless you're like me and learn how to draw during math class instead of working.
    Some teachers, like the one who marked me down a letter grade in every deparment because she didn't like my handwriting, should have their teaching licenses taken away.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Did you excel at school?
    Define "excel." I got As and Bs mostly, and my GPA was above average. I considered it a mediocre performance. It was the highest grade I could get for the least work. Most subjects were intuitively easy for me, so I barely ever needed to study.

I imagine so.

Certainly.

I always felt like I was in prison when I was in middle and high school, so I'm going to go with SJ. Not so sure about university...it depends on the department, I think.

High school certainly did not bring out the best in me in terms of intellectual engagement or growth. Even to the end it seemed like a glorified babysitting deal, and I was, of course, the baby. I think that there needed to be FAR less emphasis on organizational skills, regulation, and punishment, and more on fundamentals. In my specific case, I felt like I learned a whole lot of useless superficial details about subject areas, but never the principles that tied all of these details together as a whole. It was like we were there to learn how to follow rules, and the subject matter was just thrown in there to give us something to do in the meanwhile.
    Last edited by Orangey; 05-27-2009 at 06:33 PM.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by CJ99 View Post

SJ. The irony is that I don't think SJs actually learn anything from it.

Its not - as it claims to be - about learning in the form NTs would use the word. Its about making sure that the majority of people have a way of thinking most useful to society ie I do what I told how I'm told and then I get good stuff.
    While this way of thinking is useful to SJs it useless to other types, and in my humble opinion other types are more useful to society.
    Good overview, I think I agree with that.

So you guys think grade school is styled toward SJ education, but you do think that university provides more Intuitive style?
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

videodrones; questions Verfremdungseffekt's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Eh?

Not in my experience, no.

Certainly not in the music program I was in; completely S-oriented. It quickly bored me. Thus my switch to philosophy. And... that wasn't much better, actually. All citing precedent and page numbers, instead of reasoning for one's self. Urg.

I've learned more about each on Wikipedia than I ever did in college.