User Tag List

First 263435363738 Last

MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram
    ;) sx
    Socionics
    ENFp

I would suggest we all start trying to type people less and make the difficult decision of actually getting to know the ones we want to interact with and only suss out their type only so long as it will specifically help us interact with them better. And, if a type doesn't describe them well, throw it out and trust your own ability to learn about people through experience and observation.
    -Brio

"I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life; I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well."
    -Teddy Roosevelt

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by briochick View Post
    And, if a type doesn't describe them well...
    That means they are mistyped.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram
    ;) sx
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    That means they are mistyped.
    Haha, yes, that is one possibility. Or, the MBTI could be flawed.
    -Brio

"I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life; I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well."
    -Teddy Roosevelt

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

It's more about properly understanding what type means. The errors begin when one takes the stereotype (which is a necessary aspect of typology) and pretends that it explains EVERYTHING about a person. This is why I like Jung's calling types "functions", that map input => perceiving function => judging function => output. We see the output, we use culture as sort of a standard base for input, and figure out the functions from that. But if you change the input - extra stress, different culture, etc. - you get different output. The functions stay the same. In particular, MBTI/Jung doesn't measure anxiety or levels of psychological health, like the Big Five or the Enneagram, so these systems might help differentiate out those aspects which aren't directly described in terms of the functions.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

I think where the MBTI goes wrong is on the theory of Jungian cognitive functions, as it has made for some pretty awkward arguments for type on this forum, and in an individual's behavior, there is the potential to identify every function on the spectrum put into use, so it could lead to a lot of mistypings in my opinion.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    I think where the MBTI goes wrong is on the theory of Jungian cognitive functions, as it has made for some pretty awkward arguments for type on this forum, and in an individual's behavior, there is the potential to identify every function on the spectrum put into use, so it could lead to a lot of mistypings in my opinion.
    Isn't it funny how it turns out to be the parts of typology that we don't understand, that make the typology difficult to understand?

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    Isn't it funny how it turns out to be the parts of typology that we don't understand, that make the typology difficult to understand?
    Indeed, recognizing our own ignorance, that is knowledge, and in this case my ignorance could be in the field of functions. Perhaps I was wrong about them being invalid!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    Indeed, recognizing our own ignorance, that is knowledge, and in this case my ignorance could be in the field of functions. Perhaps I was wrong about them being invalid!
    And this is exactly how I felt about Enneagram for a long time. I still don't completely trust it, but I understand it a lot more than I used to. It just took a while to absorb the whole system and be comfortable with it. I didn't understand functions for about 6-9 months. I thought I understood functions for about a year. These days, I feel like I have a very good understanding of them in principle, though I still need to refine my understanding of Si and Fe, among others. (I can type these but not describe them, because Si is "not Ni" and Fe is "not Te", as funny as that sounds.)

Though rather old, this is quite an interesting thread.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Whichever one hates themselves the most.
    Likes Alassea liked this post