User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: new age people?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Scott N Denver View Post
    Try stuff on buddhism, and zen in particular. Other schools of Buddhism have their selling points as well. Some martial arts schools teach this genre of meditation as well. Most of the above will be generally applicable, ie not-buddhist in flavor. "Pay attention to your breathing, when your mind wanders return it to your breathing", nothing particularly requiring a buddhist orientation/perspective there.

There are scientifically shown benefits of meditation: as I recall reduced stress, improved serotonin levels, more oxygen in the blood, reduced stress kind of stuff. Similar results for tai chi and yogic stretching/postures.

Find meditation that is about either maintaining internal awareness and/or paying attention to breathing, that should divest you of any of that 'gimmicky hippy nonsense'. The hindu/yoga stuff, that could go either way. Yogic stuff as taught in this country is rather sterilized and would be similar to the breath and buddhism stuff mentioned above. Some of the Hindu stuff, well, gets rather "flowery", which may or may not be someone's 'cup of tea', and it sounds like its not yours.
    Basically I care only for the techniques and mechanics of it, and am not interested in some attached philosophy. Thank you for the suggestions.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj

I can't stand New Age stuff.
    Enneagram 9w1 sp/so
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

MBTI
    infp

I find my ISFJ friend way more interested in all of this than I am.

I love all things new, so they may call of this stuff "new age", but it's not new and different enough to excite me.

It's all advertised as being from old traditions, either wicca before christianity, or something they've been using in the far east for over a thousand years. Take tarot or reiki? they're not new are they?

None of it is actually new. This is why they appeal to my isfj friend so much, old, steeped in tradition and symbolism, full of rituals that make her feel something, and just make me say "why"?
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I live in a multicolored volkswagon bus, tye-dye my HAIR, never shave under my pits (I braid it) and live in a group marriage with seven spiritual beings from Sirus A. I don't like Sirus B men, they smell funny and they have pudgy legs.

We all ride around to the different parking lots reading people's fortunes.
    I thought you seemed familiar!

I am immensely entertained by New Age people and end up around them often by mistake. I've even chanted in circles with a crystal bowl resonating on my head, but that was largely for the money which I needed badly. True story.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

I wouldn't call what I do New Age. In fact it's a common insult in the Pagan community as it's generally associated with wannabe's and treehuggers that have lost touch with reality (though I'm pretty sure this isn't true for all of them). Yes, I'd say NFs are attracted to it, but I'd also say that since it's become a trend, I doubt they're the largest group of practitioners these days.

Yes, I own crystals and I do use them. They're one of the many tools I use in my spiritual path. I know of the chakras but haven't worked with this elaborately yet, no channeling, meditation yes, ufo's hell no, mysteries ?, ghosts no unless you count my ancestors or nature spirits, ESP no, astrology basic knowledge, no practice, tarot yes, palmistry no but on my list. Other things...yes, but I think it's best to not go into detail
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

Phantonym

I'm not into the New Age stuff but I find people who are into it very fascinating. It's the passion they seem to invest in it that I find appealing. For them, it's everything. I have a friend who's a masseuse and interested in all sorts of New Age things. She can talk forever about all things esoteric.

I own a deck of Tarot cards and use it maybe once a year. Mostly because I love the gorgeous images on the cards For me, dabbling in Tarot is introspection, not something to live your life by. Just something to get you thinking, maybe get some things sorted out. There's also something in it that causes an uneasy feeling that accompanies me for quite some time.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

I love Metaphysics.

I don't like New Age anything, because it's just a modern day hippie movement and a load of rubbish.

I agree with Scott N Denver- you can't connect Buddhism/Taoism with New Age. And I'd be much more of mind to follow in Buddhist and Taoist teachings, which I have.

Has anybody heard of Ram Dass? He wrote 'Remember: Be Here Now' which I have read and drawn a ton of meaning and virtue from. Stuff like that, that you take meaning and virtue from, is where is should be at. All else just gets in the way of having a practical and real spiritual awakening.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

And if you are really looking for an awakening that's not a bunch of junk, check it out.

Be Here Now (book) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's not mainstream and it's not crap.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

ESP is closely linked to Intuition in my opinion.

You can even have Extrasensory Perception Dreams where you escape into a void alters time and space and be thrown into somebody else's experiences somewhere else in the globe from a different town. It can be attained in REM sleep, under use of Psychedelics, or through deep meditation.

It's the same concept as having a vision. Native Americans use to travel into the hills and meditate and have visions, which can be closely related to ESP.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Has anybody heard of Ram Dass? He wrote 'Remember: Be Here Now' which I have read and drawn a ton of meaning and virtue from. Stuff like that, that you take meaning and virtue from, is where is should be at. All else just gets in the way of having a practical and real spiritual awakening.
    Yes. Wasn't he famous for "discovering' Neem Karoli Baba?

I want to read his books at some point but have not yet. He went to India and met people there. Pretty famous name, one of those 1960's Americans who went to India and brought stuff back, in his case more Hindu stuff. Others brought back Buddhist stuff.