First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by lemons View Post
    5 temperaments are a bit correlative to the 5 love languages.

I am Melcancholic with Choleric and Phlegmatic.

Definitely not Sanguine or Supine.
    My wife and I read the Love Languages years before we even got into temperament theory, and by the time we learned of the five temperaments, I had forgotten about the love languages, to think if they correlated. She may have mentioned them once in connection with temperament, because her love language obviously ties into her Sanguine temperament. So I'll have to look at those again.

Quote Originally Posted by Gauche View Post
    I noticed an astounding phenomenon that INFPs are never ever cholerics

Anyway, the test is messy so I don't do it, but I'm choleric
    Yeah, I believe Keirsey really got things wrong when he suggested all NF's were Choleric. In fact, looking again at Kretschmer's character styles (which Keirsey directly drew from), the Schizothymes (basically, the abstract temperaments) were divided into "cold vs sensitive". The Anasthetic being "cold" and the Hyperesthetic being "sensitive". Keirsey interpreted "sensitive" as "exciteable", and then concluded it was Choleric (because the Choleric is traditionally the "angry, hot-headed" one), and the hyperesthetic ended up fitting NF. But the Choleric is anything but sensitive, really. Traditionally, the Phlegmatic is portrayed as having deep seated fears and sensitivity, (driving his sluggishness) though not showing them much. In five temperament theory, this is basically split, with the Supine being the really sensitive one, and the Phlegmatic is simply not having much energy for emotion. (Which is different from the reason the NT appears "calm". That's actually the more "Choleric" form of "coldness", and Kant had called both the Phlegmatic and Choleric "cold blooded").
    Quote Originally Posted by Colors View Post
    Cool test! Just my own scores today, will try and get friends to do it for me:

Sanguine: 55
    Melancholy: 53
    Phlegmatic: 41
    Choleric: 36
    Supine: 27

Seems like I fit well into your correlations. I've taken other temperment tests before. The most recent one scored me as Melancholy/Sanguine which seemed to fit me very well, actually. Even though they seem rather opposite when I read the descriptions- it's like I like to project Sanguine when inside Melancholy is more natural to me.

Though I also somehwat identify with Phlegmatic, it seems to be more of what I admire and how I would like others to see me than my actual expression. (But I guess that's what the friend-scoring is for).
    Yes, even in Keirsey/Berens' correlation, ISTP would amount to a Melancholic-Sanguine. The Interaction Style (IST) called "Chart the Course" is Melancholic (introverted, directive), and SP is Sanguine (pragmatic, motive-focused)
    What do "in Inclusion" and "in Control" mean?
    Those are two of the three FIRO matrices used in five temperament theory. Inclusion is surface social skills, and Control is leadership and responsibilities skills. The backbone of my FIRO-MBTI correlation is that Inclusion corresponds to Interaction Styles, and Control corresponds to the Keirseyan temperaments, which Berens called "conative" (dealing with action). There's also a third area called "Affection" which covers deep epersonal relationships. That does not seem to be directly represented in MBTI, though it in some respects might figure in the Interaction Style. If you seem to have a third temperament like the Phlegmatic you mentioned, it could be in Affection.
    Full "short' explanation of all this at: ERICA vs EISeNFelT
    Quote Originally Posted by beyondaurora View Post
    Supine 40
    Melancholy 38
    Sanguine 30
    Phlegmatic 27
    Choleric 12

Eric B - if you're around, I'd be extremely interested as to what type you think this correlates with.
    With top two as Supine and Melancholy, it actually could be either ISFJ or INFJ; and you're wearing "IxFx"! ISFJ=Supine(ISF)-Melancholy(SJ), and INFJ=Melancholy(INJ)-Supine(NF) (That informal test does not tell which is actually Inclusion and which is Control, but it's a good bet that it's one of the two orders of those two temperaments).

Both have Fe/Ti as supporting and relief (I call this a "harmonic" preference, see http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...dem-names.html), so you need to sort out your perception preference. You can try out my Lucky Eight Archetype test (http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...type-test.html) to quickly get an idea what roles Si or Ni fill, and that might help decide. (Though a lot of INFP's have come up with combinations like that too, and I imagine ISFP's could too).
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

hrm. supine is just phlegmatic.

anyways.
    sanguine 42
    phlegmatic 41
    supine 37
    choleric 31
    melancholic 23

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

No, Supine is very different from Phlegmatic, though on the surface they might look similar, both fitting in the "Behind the Scenes" and "Idealist" roles, and Supine basically takes the place Phlegmatic had before (introverted/informative; and Phlegmatic is now considered MODERATE in both scales)
    The first wind of a fifth temperament apparently came when some Sanguines were observed to be "passive" meaning they didn't express themselves like an extrovert, though they still had the same level of want. So the Supine actually has some extroverted energies (aligning it with the Sanguine in some respects) that the Phlegmatic does not have, and I believe that is one reason it perhaps fits NF better, and Keirsey and everyone else not recognizing a fifth temperament couldn't bring themselves to make NF the Phlegmatic. (Though a couple of sites do. Still, the Phlegmatic, while "impassive" similar to an NT is nevertheless more of a peaceful "Diplomat" like an NF)
    Also, when Jung observes "introverted Feeling" types "whose temperament is most likely melancholic" he was probably witnessing pure Supine INFP's. Supines also tend to look like Melancholies, because of the withdrawnness. It probably also explains why INFP's tend to come up with strong Melancholy here. (He also could have been seeing IxTJ women with greatly inflated Fi due to the traditional image of women as "feelers". Those types are genuinely Melancholy).

As for your scores, that fits, as the ESFP is the most Sanguine (and in this test, the others had to come out somewhere as well, but Sanguine is obviously dominant).
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)

Type Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post

reasonable things

well, to tell you the truth, I don't like the whole idea of connecting the Hippocrates temperaments with Keirsey's ones. I think it's not that simple, you know, we can have sanguine (ESFJ), phlegm (ISTJ), melancholic (ISFJ), maybe choleric (ESTJ), lets say, guardians. It goes with another three Keirsey's temperaments as well.
    Although, there seems to be a pattern at all. There are probabilities which Hippocrates temperament would you most likely be with your MBTI type. But I find this strict connecting of one Hippocrates temperament to one Keirsey's temperament (e.g. SJ - melancholic, SP - sanguine, NT - choleric, NF - phlegmatic) to be off-course. How do you see it?

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

From this test, I would say that I am most supine.
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

well, to tell you the truth, I don't like the whole idea of connecting the Hippocrates temperaments with Keirsey's ones. I think it's not that simple, you know, we can have sanguine (ESFJ), phlegm (ISTJ), melancholic (ISFJ), maybe choleric (ESTJ), lets say, guardians. It goes with another three Keirsey's temperaments as well.
    Although, there seems to be a pattern at all. There are probabilities which Hippocrates temperament would you most likely be with your MBTI type. But I find this strict connecting of one Hippocrates temperament to one Keirsey's temperament (e.g. SJ - melancholic, SP - sanguine, NT - choleric, NF - phlegmatic) to be off-course. How do you see it?
    What you're describing is due to the presence of a second temperament matrix overlaid over the Keirsey temperaments; and those are the Interaction Styles. Each type is a combination of both.

Type Ideas

MBTI
    I

Choleric

Here are my scores:

Choleric - 38
    Phlegmatic - 30
    Sanguine - 23
    Melancholy - 19
    Supine - 7

MBTI
    I

Those are not right though, after reading the descriptions of the temperaments, they don't only match SJ's or guardians.

beyondaurora

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    With top two as Supine and Melancholy, it actually could be either ISFJ or INFJ; and you're wearing "IxFx"! ISFJ=Supine(ISF)-Melancholy(SJ), and INFJ=Melancholy(INJ)-Supine(NF) (That informal test does not tell which is actually Inclusion and which is Control, but it's a good bet that it's one of the two orders of those two temperaments).

Both have Fe/Ti as supporting and relief (I call this a "harmonic" preference, see http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...dem-names.html), so you need to sort out your perception preference. You can try out my Lucky Eight Archetype test (http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...type-test.html) to quickly get an idea what roles Si or Ni fill, and that might help decide. (Though a lot of INFP's have come up with combinations like that too, and I imagine ISFP's could too).
    Thanks, Eric B. I tried your archetypes test, but it was too difficult for me (I've tried finding how my processes fit within the archetypes with little success -- it seems like a few processes can fit a single archetype).

I had my mom answer the 5 temperaments test with me in mind, and here are the results:

Melancholy 68
    Phlegmatic 64
    Sanguine 63
    Supine 55
    Choleric 55

This is very interesting! I guess I'm not so Supine afterall! Rather, it would appear that I am either a MelPhleg (INFJ) or MelSang (ISTP). ISTP is what my professional MBTI test came up with and is one of the two best fit type profiles I identify with (the other is ISFP, although ask Jeffster -- he is SURE I am not ISFP).

Any thoughts?

MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    ILE

My scores alone, because I don't have any friends.

Sanguine 52
    Choleric 51
    Melancholy 45
    Phlegmatic 42
    Supine 24

Sanguine

Motivation: Fun

Needs: To Look Good (Socially), To Be Popular, To Be Praised, Approval

Wants: To Hide Insecurities (Loosely), To Be Noticed, Freedom, Playful Adventure

Positives: Entertaining, Outgoing, Responsive, Warm, Friendly

Negatives: Undependable, Undisciplined, Egotistical, Prone to Exaggeration, Compulsive Talker

Sounds right, except for compulsive talker.
    I'm only a compulsive talker when I'm both comfortable with the person and think they're intelligent enough to be worth my breath.

I might have my bestie (ISTP) & girlfriend (ISFP) take this later.
    "Whoever stands on the highest mountains laughs at all tragic plays and tragic seriousness." ~Friedrich Nietzsche