User Tag List

123 Last

Ginkgo

Default You Don't "Use" Your Functions! (?)

simulatedworld - "You don't 'use' your functions"

What an interesting statement.

I'm not exactly sure what prompted simulatedworld to make this assessment, but he recently made a post about it on another forum. I'm wondering if he said this because he observed many posters here claiming to 'use' functions that were supposedly out of their preferred orientation, or if he said this because of the connotation that the word "used" gives off - as if one uses their functions in the same way that one uses a hammer or a chair, or if there was some misunderstanding between him and other people. In any case, I'm trying to find out what the reality of the situation is.

When I first heard this, I thought it was a minor detail about semantics that hardly pertained to the truth, but rather to how we communicate about it. Maybe the truth is found therein.

I thought that maybe don't "use" functions as if we are consciously manipulating them, but instead we "use" functions in the same way that we use white blood cells in our bodies - subconsciously and out of our control. But then I reconsidered - because our functional orientations are in some ways conscious, are we not using them consciously? Ah! But if our functions shape the way we consciously perceive the world, then are our functions not "using" us? So I arrived at the conclusion that because, on some level, we are our functions, and our functions are us, the question of whether we can "use" them should be answered with a positive "yes", in the same way we can exploit ourselves, control our own actions, and exercise our free will.

The primary problem lies within the understanding of "use".

Any thoughts?

And then people wonder why mods have banned him.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Your functions use you. Your functions shape your world. I'd try to think of it like your eyes. You can direct your eyes to things to look at, but what you ultimately see is what your eyes/brain choose to let you see.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Your functions use you. Your functions shape your world. I'd try to think of it like your eyes. You can direct your eyes to things to look at, but what you ultimately see is what your eyes/brain choose to let you see.
    That's intriguing.

What are the ramifications of such a statement?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I would take Simulatedworld's statement to mean this.
    Your functions just are. Using implies that some will was involved. I guess we can purposely use our functions. But 95% of the time we are not aware of what's going on in our brains- they are just doing their own job.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Sim's ideas on how functions work overall seem extremely odd to me, I'm sure I'd be getting some amusement out of prodding him on the topic if he was actually around. Since he isn't though, and this question relates essentially to his own highly idiosyncratic functional and semantic definitions, do you think much can be gained by asking others what he might have meant?

Personally if I was you I'd want to go straight to the horse's mouth on this one and try to hammer out what he actually meant by it rather than asking people here to speculate on his intent, which I don't see as being likely to get very far. If you can actually get a clear definition from him of what he means by it, I can happily criticise the definition, but trying to work out what might be going on inside Sim's head to make him come up with such statements in the first place is a bit beyond me, sorry!
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I'm not sure what you mean. Most of what people regard as "function use" is simply cognitive ability that everyone has access to. What makes me a Ti "user" is the fact that my world is created in the image of Ti. I "see" everything as a system, as rules, etc. A Se "user" sees the world full of opportunity and experience. And so on.

I've used the "use" nomenclature before, simply because everyone knows what I'm talking about when I do. But if we're going to analyze what functions really are, then no, I don't they are used by the individual, but the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    Sim's ideas on how functions work overall seem extremely odd to me, I'm sure I'd be getting some amusement out of prodding him on the topic if he was actually around. Since he isn't though, and this question relates essentially to his own highly idiosyncratic functional and semantic definitions, do you think much can be gained by asking others what he might have meant?

Personally if I was you I'd want to go straight to the horse's mouth on this one and try to hammer out what he actually meant by it rather than asking people here to speculate on his intent, which I don't see as being likely to get very far. If you can actually get a clear definition from him of what he means by it, I can happily criticise the definition, but trying to work out what might be going on inside Sim's head to make him come up with such statements in the first place is a bit beyond me, sorry!
    It's not difficult. If you read Psychological Types, you will understand Sim's viewpoint, as I think he's largely a Jungian at this point from what I've read of Sim's more recent thoughts. He also likes Lenore Thomson, though for the life of me I cannot figure out why.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I prefer the spotlight/torchlight analogy myself, though I guess eyes work as well. You can widen and narrow your eyes as well in addition to focusing them on things.
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

Ginkgo

Yes, they shape your world, along with a plethora of other factors like culture, learned behavior, and psychological disposition. Not to be confused with dictate.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

It's not difficult. If you read Psychological Types, you will understand Sim's viewpoint, as I think he's largely a Jungian at this point from what I've read of Sim's more recent thoughts.
    Quite possibly, but I don't wish to simply project a standard Jungian perspective on the man who once insisted that he'd only ever experienced the Ni function during a bad psychedelic drugs trip. Certainly not without more information about what his, umm, unique perspective actually constitutes in this instance. There may be other things going on there that Jung never dreamed of in his wild mandala induced reveries, scary things...

He also likes Lenore Thomson, though for the life of me I cannot figure out why.
    I find the brain lateralisation link to functions quite interesting, if scarcely conclusive Some of her typings for well known people are better than the standard ones too, so she must have something going for her. I was interested enough to want to read up a bit more anyway.
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...