User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

A thought:

By being relatively concious of the way we interpret our perceptions/ thoughts, we can make changes for ourselves (like stopping a thought pattern that doesn't work at that time), if necessary, to aid reaching our goals.

GOTTA CATCH THEM ALL

I want to be the very best,
    Like no one ever was.
    To catch them is my real test,
    To train them is my cause.

I will travel across the land,
    Searching far and wide.
    Each function to understand
    The power that's inside

(Gotta catch 'em all)

It's you and me
    I know it's my destiny

Faculties!

You're my best friend
    In a world we must defend
    Faculties

(Gotta catch 'em all)

A heart so true
    Our courage will pull us through
    You teach me and I'll teach you
    Faculties

(Gotta catch 'em all)

yeah

(verse 2)
    every challenge along the way
    with courage i will face
    i will battle everyday
    to claim my rightful place

come with me the time is right
    theres no better team
    arm and arm well win the fight
    its always been our dream

Faculties

Chorus
    (Gotta catach 'em all)

its you and me
    i know its my destiny

Faculties

Oh, your my best friend
    in a world we must defend

A heart so true
    our courage will pull us through
    you teach me and ill teach you
    Faculties

(Gatta catach 'em all)x4

Yeah!

Faculties!

COLLECT ALL EIGHT COGNITIVE FUNCTIONS TODAY.

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Just a little comment to insert here:

When we test for actual MBTI (as opposed to adaptive tests) it is standard to ask people to complete their choices in a laid back, feet up manner. This is so that the MBTI administrator can result the true preferences of the individual.

Many HR companies do MBTI based testing for job placement but there is a distinct possibility, particularly where only slight preference is demonstrated in the "laid back, feet up" testing, there could be a difference demonstrated. The J/P dichotomy in particular could show differences as those with a slight preference for P in private life may answer with more J type answers when in job seeking mode.

Now this for me might suggest that when filling out a job application, we might be self-limiting as we answer questions in the way we might expect an employer to want???
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by InsatiableCuriosity View Post
    Now this for me might suggest that when filling out a job application, we might be self-limiting as we answer questions in the way we might expect an employer to want???
    Is that a question? If it'll get you the job, why wouldn't you? Unless you don't want the job...I've always bullshitted those tests and always will.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    Is that a question? If it'll get you the job, why wouldn't you? Unless you don't want the job...I've always bullshitted those tests and always will.
    I don't think I consciously could - I would be terrified I would get the job and be obligated to not be myself

"self determination" is not something I would readily trade even for a job unless I were starving.
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

He who laughs
    Enneagram
    5w4

how do you know what they want and what will fit the position best in their eyes? Or have you only applied for low paid jobs where no one cares?

MBTI
    INTJ

I think it's possible over time to adapt our cognitive processes (subconciously/ conciously) to better fit our individual circumstances.

I do think that by strengthening and focusing on specific things, you always lose in other areas.

Ginkgo

Couldn't that be like wearing a crown and pretending to be King when you have no idea how to govern?... Why would you want a job that you're not acclimated to?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    He also likes Lenore Thomson, though for the life of me I cannot figure out why.
    Sim is spot on on this!
    His basis of speaking against "using" fuctions is that functions are perspectives or "world-views". the example he used that made it click for me was that instead of "using Te" to organize a desk, you see he desk through the lens of Te, which then seeks to create maximum external efficiency.
    From here, I saw how this works with the archetype theory, and extended it as such:

If the person has Te as the "hero" function (ETJ), then organizing the desk might be his way of "saving the day". If it's "parent" (ITJ), organizing the desk might tend to come out more in the form of instructing the other person who left it messy. If Te is child or inferior (FP's), the act of straightening the table may be more like a good deed, done innocently, perhaps to win approval, or just because they gain some relief doing so. If it's shadow (TP/FJ), the circumstances surrounding organizing might tend to be more negative, and they likely won't even be conscious of this.
    An ITP might become stubborn about external order (matching an internal blueprint) if the ego feels threatened in any way by some other order, and externally setting and maintaining that order will end up coming off as "oppositional". An ETP will tend to be even more critical of others concerning the order. An IFJ might tend to make mistakes, such as throwing out important papers. An EFJ might work up a frenzy and totally wear themselves out organizing the desk for others, when the others might not even care. The need to organize stems from their extraverted Feeling, but if they are under stress, the perspective changes, and they over-focus on the impersonal logic aspect of the ordering. The normally less relevant functional perspective ends up surfacing in a "huffy" manner that we can loosely associate with an archetypal manifestation.

So looking at them as perspectives made it all finally fall into place for me. And both of us were influenced by Lenore, so while we might not agree with everything she says, she has been an invaluable additional perspective to understanding the eight functions.

It's the other way of seeing it people have fallen into, of treating the functions as behaviors or skills sets (hence, "using" them), that has lent itself to what has become called "folk-typology". Even Lenore will sometimes say "use". It's easier to say, in passing. But she is the one who points out that they are the ways we build neurological connections, and that the "product", as she terms it, of an undifferentiated (basically, "shadow") function can come into consciousness as good as anything else, as long as it's going along with the ego and not triggering a complex from the unconsciousness. Hence, it's not really about "using" the function; it's anout consciousness or unconsciousness.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    If the person has Te as the "hero" function (ETJ), then organizing the desk might be his way of "saving the day". If it's "parent" (ITJ), organizing the desk might tend to come out more in the form of instructing the other person who left it messy. If Te is child or inferior (FP's), the act of straightening the table may be more like a good deed, done innocently, perhaps to win approval, or just because they gain some relief doing so. If it's shadow (TP/FJ), the circumstances surrounding organizing might tend to be more negative, and they likely won't even be conscious of this.
    I had never considered before the relationship between the old Transactional Analysis theory and Functions. TA surmises that all interpersonal transactions are undertaken as an Adult, Parent or Child, and crossed transactional roles can become dysfunctional.
    — Richard P. Feynman

author unknown