• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How to be less negative?

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't know if it is life experiences or what, but negativity often comes out of my speech. Once I realize it, I wonder why I am talking this way.

A while back, a friend of mine told me "Happy Valentines Day", and proceeded to give me some candy. And before I knew it, I said that I didn't believe in Valentines Day.... *shudders*. When I thought about it... I was like that is no way to be talking to a friend that was giving you candy. Maybe I didn't like the day, but hey, she was being kind. The contrast between her and I is readily apparent when I am with her, she is overwhelmingly upbeat with people while I am often quite reserved (not sure how to talk.)

I've been trying to be less negative around people, and her, but there is an undercurrent of negativity and negative thought I have been trying to change especially during times that I notice it occurring.

What ways have TypoC used to be more positive? Waking up during the day with a positive attitude? (Rather than waking up grouchy or flat[what I like to call sleepy]) Using more positive words when you can instead of negative ones? Changing bad experiences to positive ones? (I didn't do good this time, but this was a good experience for.....) Reinforcing good attitudes by rewarding it with favorite candy, drinks, food, or entertainment?

EDIT:7 Negative People You Need To Ignore I just found this. :laugh: I'm not a negative person, per se, but the negativity that I am surrounded by gets a hold of me.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't know. I think it's inborn to some degree. I don't think I'm particularly optimistic (I see it more as being idealistically real :D ) but others see me like that.

The upside of being negative (oops sorry!) is that you notice problems or potential problems quickly and want to fix them, right?

I did laugh about the Valentine's thing. I don't celebrate either but when my INFP gave me candy my first reaction was "Ooh! Candy!" :happy2: (especially the dark chocolate and raspberry...ne'er had that before).

Yeah...I know this wasn't particularly helpful. Sorry. :(

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't know. I think it's inborn to some degree. I don't think I'm particularly optimistic (I see it more as being idealistically real :D ) but others see me like that.

The upside of being negative (oops sorry!) is that you notice problems or potential problems quickly and want to fix them, right?

I did laugh about the Valentine's thing. I don't celebrate either but when my INFP gave me candy my first reaction was "Ooh! Candy!" :happy2: (especially the dark chocolate and raspberry...ne'er had that before).

Yeah...I know this wasn't particularly helpful. Sorry. :(

Right when I posted this, I think I found the solution (which happens a lot of times.) I think it is the negative people that is influencing me the reason I have negative thoughts. Not enough positive people. The person I met is one of those positive people that just made me realize how negative I have become.

Probably going to find ways to keep negative people at bay. :D

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't know if it is life experiences or what, but negativity often comes out of my speech. Once I realize it, I wonder why I am talking this way.

A while back, a friend of mine told me "Happy Valentines Day", and proceeded to give me some candy. And before I knew it, I said that I didn't believe in Valentines Day.... *shudders*. When I thought about it... I was like that is no way to be talking to a friend that was giving you candy. Maybe I didn't like the day, but hey, she was being kind. The contrast between her and I is readily apparent when I am with her, she is overwhelmingly upbeat with people while I am often quite reserved (not sure how to talk.)

I've been trying to be less negative around people, and her, but there is an undercurrent of negativity and negative thought I have been trying to change especially during times that I notice it occurring.

What ways have TypoC used to be more positive? Waking up during the day with a positive attitude? (Rather than waking up grouchy or flat[what I like to call sleepy]) Using more positive words when you can instead of negative ones? Changing bad experiences to positive ones? (I didn't do good this time, but this was a good experience for.....) Reinforcing good attitudes by rewarding it with favorite candy, drinks, food, or entertainment?

I have a *very* hard time not coming off negative.

I probably would have done the same thing you did. lol Maybe even worse. But the thing is, that on the inside, I feel fine...while on the outside I'm coming off like I'm just an anger ball all the time.:(

I am excellent in finding flaws...but I have to remind myself that it's not productive to do so around others.

So about a year ago I was trying to figuring out why my friend (who's a 2) had such a cheery disposition, like ALL the time. And I finally came to the conclusion that it's just the way I am.

So to level out my negativity I lay in bed just a couple minutes longer than I used to. And during that time I consciously make an effort, and straight-up decide to be happy. Also one time I found some youtube videos on Dr. Aymee Coget, and she somewhat explained the science behind happiness, which seemed to help for me as well.

Anyways, I don't know if I'll ever be as cheery as my friend, honestly. (I say this because if I skip a day or two of this....I start to come off as negative again.)

But it's better than my normal negative re-activeness :shrug:

Hope that helps.