• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What-cha-what-cha-what-cha Watched?

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Oh my word. I just saw Tom Hooper's new Les Mis...

WTF. I mean, I don't really get into that particular musical to begin with, but the film version is just hilariously bad. Laughable. What were any of them thinking? Especially the leading three - it was like they were having a competition to see who could act and sing the worst.

Jaguar

Spy Game - Robert Redford and Brad Pitt. (I was watching the Golden Globes but quickly lost interest.)

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Started watching "Being Human" recently.

I can't get over how beautiful Aidan Turner is. :heart:

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I watched Melancholia, and my God, why do disaster movies like The Day After Tomorrow, Armageddon, and 2012 get pounded for their scientific implausibility and this one gets a free pass? And to top it all off, it was really boring.

trancemode

Enneagram
5w4
Scarface with Al Pacino as the unforgettable Tony Montana, which I’ve seen before. Set in 80s Miami, the film follows a Cuban refugee’s rise to power in the underworld from the time he steps off the boat. It’s a fiesta of gangsters, guns, profuse usage of the f-word and coke. And when you fuck with Tony Montana, you are fucking with the best. He proves it at the end, when it takes at least a hundred bullets to bring him down.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I watched Melancholia, and my God, why do disaster movies like The Day After Tomorrow, Armageddon, and 2012 get pounded for their scientific implausibility and this one gets a free pass? And to top it all off, it was really boring.

Because they were all up on Lars Von Trier's jock, and still are to some extent (even though he ruined shit for himself with his stupid Hitler comments at Cannes.) His films really are good examples of how a person can take a dump on a piece of paper and call it art.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Because they were all up on Lars Von Trier's jock, and still are to some extent (even though he ruined shit for himself with his stupid Hitler comments at Cannes.) His films really are good examples of how a person can take a dump on a piece of paper and call it art.
She took a dump in a sandpit, not on a piece of paper. :coffee:

I thought it was rather good, but very N, so not for everyone.

It isn't the "scientific implausibility" that makes 2012 or Prometheus poor movies. It is the absence of anything approaching heart. It is inauthenticity of feeling, not action, that leaves us feeling uninspired.
I can understand why a fan of the disaster movie would be "bored" by an art-house movie. These genres have different audiences. It was typically subversive of von Trier to attempt a movie that would straddle that middle ground, and ultimately satisfy no one.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
She took a dump in a sandpit, not on a piece of paper. :coffee:

I thought it was rather good, but very N, so not for everyone.

It isn't the "scientific implausibility" that makes 2012 or Prometheus poor movies. It is the absence of anything approaching heart. It is inauthenticity of feeling, not action, that leaves us feeling uninspired.
I can understand why a fan of the disaster movie would be "bored" by an art-house movie. These genres have different audiences. It was typically subversive of von Trier to attempt a movie that would straddle that middle ground, and ultimately satisfy no one.

Don't get me wrong. I hated 2012 and Prometheus, too. It's just that I have a special level of hatred reserved for von Trier because his films are nothing more than documentation of his own trifling self-indulgence.

It wasn't that I was more "bored" by Melancholia than 2012 (good Lord, I couldn't even make it through 2012 because it was headache-inducing), it's that Melancholia was extremely stupid and pretentious. One needs no comparison films to come to that conclusion.

KDude

Don't get me wrong. I hated 2012 and Prometheus, too. It's just that I have a special level of hatred reserved for von Trier because his films are nothing more than documentation of his own trifling self-indulgence.

It wasn't that I was more "bored" by Melancholia than 2012 (good Lord, I couldn't even make it through 2012 because it was headache-inducing), it's that Melancholia was extremely stupid and pretentious. One needs no comparison films to come to that conclusion.

Some of the earlier stuff is funny.. albeit disturbingly funny (The Idiots). It's like master trolling, put to film.

I think Prometheus is well done as a film, but I'm tired of the underlying thought behind stories like that (or other sci-fi from Scott). The message seems to be that exploration, science, discovery, the future.. all of it is a pandora's box, with some ungodly monstrosity ready jump out and rape you in the ass. It's a conservative type of take on science fiction. He's not alone on it though, either. So many writers are afraid of the unknown. I don't care to indulge it.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have a special level of hatred reserved for von Trier because his films are nothing more than documentation of his own trifling self-indulgence.
Why does that earn your hatred? I wonder why you'd bother to watch Melancholia if you feel that way about its creator?

What was so stupid about it?
Have you ever been depressed? I don't think I've ever seen a better depiction of the catatonic state of severe depression on film...

I guess the fact that his work produces such strong emotion in you is something of a recommendation. There is so little in modern cinema to become animated about in any way... Hatred probably pleases him as much as praise... Possibly more. He is INTP, after all. ;)

Jaguar

Brake.
This flick is bizarre. Terrorists lock a secret service agent in the trunk of a car and torture him in an attempt to gain information.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Why does that earn your hatred?

Because he's a hack? I dislike him in the same way I dislike anybody who is bad at their job.

I wonder why you'd bother to watch Melancholia if you feel that way about its creator?

I will generally watch anything once. Plus, I actually didn't mind Dogville, so I was open to the idea that he may actually have made something decent for the second time in his life. You never know.

Oh, and I'm a fan of Charlotte Gainsbourg.

What was so stupid about it?

Witnessing hours of ennui take place on screen is not my idea of a productive use of the film medium. After a while it just seems like this was a film by a guy who had no good ideas, but who decided to fill the space instead with art film tropes and Wagner in the hopes that these could make up for the lacking vision. The end result? A tedious, pretentious little film that could give Enter the Void a run for its money in terms of sheer pointlessness.

Have you ever been depressed? I don't think I've ever seen a better depiction of the catatonic state of severe depression on film...

No, I've never been depressed. After reading Prozac Nation, however, I did discover that it's just a really fucking boring subject.

I guess the fact that his work produces such strong emotion in you is something of a recommendation. There is so little in modern cinema to become animated about in any way...

No, it's more like the difference between seeing a fender-bender and a train wreck. You would be more affected by the train wreck than by the fender-bender, but only because it's that much more horrible.

Hatred probably pleases him as much as praise... Possibly more.

Yes, because he's so pretentious and full of himself that he takes it as a sign that he's doing something right...something provocative. He thinks he's a provocateur, and no amount of "no, Lars, your shit is just bad" would convince him otherwise.

He is INTP, after all. ;)

INTP? That's a weird one, even with N bias. I would have thought (with N bias in mind) that he would be called INFP or some other F before INTP.

I really just think he's an ISFP, though. He's almost the worst stereotype of one, unfortunately...big feelings (Fi), little ideas (bad Ni and bad Te), mix it in an audio/visual medium (Se), et voila!

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

The other movie that frequently gets a free pass is 2001. Although I like the movie, it's really little more than a special effects demo reel, which is a common criticism of today's movies. The fact that 2001 reached classic status is no excuse, and ultimately, 2010 was the better movie overall.

KDude

No, I've never been depressed. After reading Prozac Nation, however, I did discover that it's just a really fucking boring subject.

I've been depressed, but it is a boring subject. Probably one of those "you had to be there" things. Or maybe that's Se talking. :laugh:

Il Morto Che Parla

MBTI Type
xxTP
Prometheus was a pile of shit. The intro scene was the best in the film, says it all.

I just watched The Fighter, liked it a lot, 8.4/10.