• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

House of the Dragon

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That would have greatly simplified matters.

Which is why those earlier scenes with Alicent occurred -- to justify such an act of mercy.
They worked very hard to not have Alicent as the villian and instead be a victim of her father's ambitions and schemes. That seems like the goal of the producers.

However, the price she willingly paid to obtain Larys' continued "assistance" was pretty pathetic. It also seems that she has been leading Sir Criston on a bit, if not already indulged him as well.

I don't like making her a victim of her father. It weakens her as a character and takes away her power and agency. I would have liked the producers to just let her be the wicked stepmother and Machiavellian fiend.

Otto is allowed to be a schemer. Larys is allowed to be who he is. Aegon is allowed to be who he is. Why did they need to weaken Alicent by taking away her power?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
They worked very hard to not have Alicent as the villian and instead be a victim of her father's ambitions and schemes. That seems like the goal of the producers.

However, the price she willingly paid to obtain Larys' continued "assistance" was pretty pathetic. It also seems that she has been leading Sir Criston on a bit, if not already indulged him as well.
I literally texted my kid (who had just watched the episode, I am holed up in a hotel and caught the 10pm showing on HBO) -- "LARYS!! WTF???"

I was having such a hard time figuring out why she had taken her shoes off, and they did that big zoom on his feet as he entered the room as well.
I don't like making her a victim of her father. It weakens her as a character and takes away her power and agency. I would have liked the producers to just let her be the wicked stepmother and Machiavellian fiend.

Otto is allowed to be a schemer. Larys is allowed to be who he is. Aegon is allowed to be who he is. Why did they need to weaken Alicent by taking away her power?
I am not really seeing her as a total victim; there is a middle ground in there, which is somewhat realistic for the time period. Even a total witch still wouldn't have the power that men have in that society. (I mean, just take the Larys sequence there. She obviously does not like him. She is only using him because he won't go away, and he's useful -- one of the few people loyal to her she has -- and she feels like she is at a huge disadvantage; I mean, the entire Small Council was conspiring behind her back to put Aegon on the throne, and she did not even know until that morning. She can't even look at him while he... does what he does. It's clear she is disgusted by it but is doing what she can to survive, like everyone else is. Despite being Queen -- or having been Queen -- she didn't hold a lot of cards.)

They are tempering Rhaenerys as well, in ways I have mentioned previously. Even just actually expressing admiration for Rhaenor and how that subplot ends is a big show of mercy/kindness that I'm not sure the books allowed.

In fact, they are tempering many of the men. Viserys is still fatally flawed but more heroic I think in the show, not in the books. From what description I've seen Aegon is worse in the books; here he just seems more like an infantilized young man who doesn't even want to be king but is also pushed into it as a pawn by everyone else who does want power -- it's only when he hears the crowd cheering for him and providing the affection he feels he's never gotten (which is one reason he is chasing it through affairs or avoiding the feelings by abusing substances) that he thinks, "Oh, hey, maybe I could get into this." Would I rather have the vulgar terrible Aegon, or an Aegon who seems human?

I don't like Otto much, but his strategies are sound albeit ruthless, and he still defers to his daughter in some situations -- out of love, or out of the fact that maybe she'll surprise him if he pushes too hard and he'll lose control of the situation? I don't know.

There's a moment when Criston and Aemond bond, both commiserating how they both have to work hard to get anything that they receive, while others who don't deserve it just are handed the keys to the city basically. I could feel bad for both of them in that moment, even with the awful things they've both done or will do. The show did a great job of establishing how brave and driven Aemond is, despite this probably likely to kill a lot of people in the upcoming war; as a kid, he was bullied and humiliated by his relatives, so what does he do? He walks up to the largest dragon in the world before anyone can claim her, and manages to win that dragon over despite failure meaning his death. His arrogance costs him dearly when he picks a fight with his cousins, but he still is wise in realizing the value of what he has gained and not pushing things further at the time. Like, you have to admire the guy even if you don't like him.

I feel like they are trying to humanize a large portion of the cast and evoke some empathy in the audience so we view it all as rather tragic as this family destroys itself and the country over what should have been a simple decision on Viserys' part.

Last edited:

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So here's a question: If Rhaenys had her dragon Meleys breathe on the party, would it have killed three kids or would some have survived? It definitely would have killed Alicent and Otto and Criston (burn, you f**ker!), which of course is an outright declaration of war -- although obviously usurping the crown and murdering nobles who refused to bend the knee was also a declaration of war so to speak.

Just rather curious. Not all Targaryens survive fire, obviously Laena was not fireproof obviously (nor was Laenor known to be, as the ruse worked on the show). I guess not, as Dany might have been a special case. I suppose that is just a bit of urban myth, then, at this point.

--

I rewatched the episode tonight now that I had a large TV, could throw on the captioning, and pause when needed. Yeah, I think Alicent's intentions are okay and obviously for herself she is drawing a line at murdering people she knows and feels a bond with, but on the other hand what did she think was going to happen if she was going to push Aegon's claim to the throne? Why should she have been shocked that her father and the bulk of the small council had been conspiring a long time behind her back, especially after things her father said previously?

Rhaenys totally has her number when she says she will just serve and/or hand back power to the men -- she's just enabling all of this behavior.

I think it's most obvious when she acts like if she can get to Aegon first, he will somehow listen to her instructions for how to be a good king. He has never listened to her before, and he just seems to have gotten worse when she whacks him for knocking up the attendent. Like, he really isn't swayed by her either way. And during the trip, after making it clear he knows his father never wanted him to be king, all he does is beg for her love. He's still a child wanting her attention but otherwise wanting to just indulge himself. Now he can get that validation from the crowd by acting out, and she will have no sway over him. All she did was install a monster, just as Rhaenys claimed she was enabling these men.

Well, there is a difference between Cersei and Alicent: Alicent still badly wants to be loved. At some point Cersie decided "fuck the world" and it would cost her too much to do that, the only love she maintained was her love for her kids and for her brother. Everyone else could just go rot, and who cares whether they liked or loved her?

I like Helaena more and more. I like how she kind of shuts Otto out when he tries to engage her -- it's clear she doesn't like him -- and only talks when her mother sends everyone out of the room. But as noted, yes, she even has boundaries physical and otherwise with her mother as well. But she's the only one who really sees what is going on or what will happen.

I like how Aemond might not even give his brother a slight nod, when the others all nod in deference to him after being crowned -- and Aemond is framed in the center of the shot watching.

Also, am I correct in noticing that Arryk and Erryk are not on the same page? I think they have different loyalties.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
So here's a question: If Rhaenys had her dragon Meleys breathe on the party, would it have killed three kids or would some have survived? It definitely would have killed Alicent and Otto and Criston (burn, you f**ker!), which of course is an outright declaration of war -- although obviously usurping the crown and murdering nobles who refused to bend the knee was also a declaration of war so to speak.

Just rather curious. Not all Targaryens survive fire, obviously Laena was not fireproof obviously (nor was Laenor known to be, as the ruse worked on the show). I guess not, as Dany might have been a special case. I suppose that is just a bit of urban myth, then, at this point.

--

I rewatched the episode tonight now that I had a large TV, could throw on the captioning, and pause when needed. Yeah, I think Alicent's intentions are okay and obviously for herself she is drawing a line at murdering people she knows and feels a bond with, but on the other hand what did she think was going to happen if she was going to push Aegon's claim to the throne? Why should she have been shocked that her father and the bulk of the small council had been conspiring a long time behind her back, especially after things her father said previously?

Rhaenys totally has her number when she says she will just serve and/or hand back power to the men -- she's just enabling all of this behavior.

I think it's most obvious when she acts like if she can get to Aegon first, he will somehow listen to her instructions for how to be a good king. He has never listened to her before, and he just seems to have gotten worse when she whacks him for knocking up the attendent. Like, he really isn't swayed by her either way. And during the trip, after making it clear he knows his father never wanted him to be king, all he does is beg for her love. He's still a child wanting her attention but otherwise wanting to just indulge himself. Now he can get that validation from the crowd by acting out, and she will have no sway over him. All she did was install a monster, just as Rhaenys claimed she was enabling these men.

Well, there is a difference between Cersei and Alicent: Alicent still badly wants to be loved. At some point Cersie decided "fuck the world" and it would cost her too much to do that, the only love she maintained was her love for her kids and for her brother. Everyone else could just go rot, and who cares whether they liked or loved her?

I like Helaena more and more. I like how she kind of shuts Otto out when he tries to engage her -- it's clear she doesn't like him -- and only talks when her mother sends everyone out of the room. But as noted, yes, she even has boundaries physical and otherwise with her mother as well. But she's the only one who really sees what is going on or what will happen.

I like how Aemond might not even give his brother a slight nod, when the others all nod in deference to him after being crowned -- and Aemond is framed in the center of the shot watching.

Also, am I correct in noticing that Arryk and Erryk are not on the same page? I think they have different loyalties.
Yeah I had to watch again but from what I gathered, one sides with the blacks, one with the greens. I assume when one of them slips away while Aegon and Aemond are duking it out, he was headed for Dragonstone (I have not gotten their names straight yet).

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
And it is on..... epic season finale.
Yeah, I guess the prologue is over now, right? Things gettin' real.

I am not a book reader, but I had a pretty bad feeling about that going into it.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah, I guess the prologue is over now, right? Things gettin' real.

I am not a book reader, but I had a pretty bad feeling about that going into it.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, basically regardless of what just happened, and whatever Alicent thought Viserys told her, Otto and company had already been planning treason for months/years and were planning to usurp the throne and then did. How can war not happen? It's either that or surrender. I think that's where Daemon is coming from.

Rhaenyra wasn't there before, but I think she is now.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah, basically regardless of what just happened, and whatever Alicent thought Viserys told her, Otto and company had already been planning treason for months/years and were planning to usurp the throne and then did. How can war not happen? It's either that or surrender. I think that's where Daemon is coming from.

Rhaenyra wasn't there before, but I think she is now.
She is definitely there now. I don't think she was too naive, but just couldn't wrap her mind around going to war. Sometimes a radical event is necessary to break through a strong mental framework.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

While I do wish there had been some deeper character dives, they made the decision that Season 1 was just setting up the story. Maybe they could have squeezed out another episode or two to better develop back arcs -- but you know what would have happened... If they had gone more slowly, people would just complain it was too slow.

You can't really win in terms of social media criticism. We should just be glad that, aside from time jumps to reckon with, the show has been pretty stellar. It is also likely to slow down next season, as they hit the meat of the story.

Last edited:

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

While I do wish there had been some deeper character dives, they made the decision that Season 1 was just setting up the story. Maybe they could have squeezed out another episode or two to better develop back arcs -- but you know what would have happened... If they had gone more slowly, people would just complain it was too slow.

You can't really win in terms of social media criticism. We should just be glad that, aside from time jumps to reckon with, the show has been pretty stellar. It is also likely to slow down next season, as they hit the meat of the story.
Yeah they can't win.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've determine a mnemonic of sorts for our Twinsie bros:
  • (A)rryk = (A)licent
So then Erryk is, by default, Black Team.

I am really happy to watch a GRRM-world episode AND season that I will happily view again a few times or more while waiting for Season 2, after being so thoroughly disgusted with Seasons 7 & 8 of GoT. I didn't even dare to hope this was possible.

I rewatched the end of the finale a few times already. It is just so well done, in terms of building a brooding sense of suspense and doom, visually and audibly. Talk about scaling as well. There was just real technical and emotional craftsmanship at play here, it couldn't have really been done much better. (My son and I have been joking incessantly about it, by comparing it to one of Dani's dragons getting shot out of the sky in GoT abruptly by a boat-mounted Scorpion a mile away. I mean, the level of storytelling is pretty much polar opposite here.)

I saw an article today crediting Matt Smith with the final bit of staging as Daemon talks to Rhaenyra. Finally a show that trusts the audience -- we just saw what happened, we don't need to hear it or see the delivery, all we need to know is what effect it has had... and it's all captured in that last image. They honestly have been making the dramatic moments look so easy that people don't realize how many ways that it could have been screwed up -- and most of the dickering seems to be over small individual viewer preferences, honestly.

I am not even sure how to put into words about the whole issue with her pregnancy. it left me with strong feelings that are still taking up a lot of headspace, and gave a sense of her character, strength, and autonomy because she was virtually alone through all of that. I remember audibly gasping; i have never seen anything depicted with that magnitude in a show before. I hope it gives people a different awareness. I am still feeling a lot of fierce love for Rhaenyra from this episode. She made a fateful mistake in not recognizing the danger in sending out her boys, but for a woman with leadership thrust upon her (as she loses so much, and also has someone take her throne from her so basely), and still managing to consider the least violent options rather than just lashing out.... all the things she was juggling at once in this episode... she was doing so remarkably well. It feels like there was never really a chance to avoid what was coming but she was still willing to consider it and not fly off the handle.

I am still keenly feeling the same about Luc. Any mistakes he made were just from lack of experience and being so young, otherwise he composed himself so well and was as honorable as could be.