• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

House of the Dragon

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Watched the opener for kicks the day after it aired, despite being somewhat indifferent.

Decent acting. A lot of it feels like "GoT Lite" ("oh, this again?")

Dragons were treated rather nonchalantly which is nice.

Lots of geographical callbacks, most of them inadvertently tinged with absurdity and/or tragedy unfortunately if you have watched all of GoT. "Oh, that's where the Hound and Mountain [you know what happened]." "Oh that's where Tommen [you know what happened]." "Oh, that's the court we saw a lot of where Tyrion and Cersei argued all the time." "Oh, there's where Jaime and Cersei [you know what happened]." And so on.

Also a lot of family name callbacks, with a lot of houses we already know, along with long-running family names. At least I didn't hear a Dickon in there.

The time span for comparison is around 170 years or something, which is fairly close to about how long it's been since the American Civil War occurred.

But otherwise it all seems to be the SoS. I'm glad they got Paddy Considine to bring some pathos to King Viserys Targaryen, because he's kind of got the jaw-dropper "bad husband" move in this episode.

I barely recognized Sonoya Mizuno here because she's actually talking a lot -- I typically have seen her in Alex Garland projects where she doesn't talk at all or has very soft-spoken/stilted communication.

Matt Smith chews up the scenery with particular relish.

Milly Alcock and Emily Carey are decent -- but they'll get replaced later in the season by their adult counterparts.

Typical violence and sex percentage as expected.

I guess the big thing here is that at least GRRM wrote the end of the story this time, so there shouldn't be any confusion or "less than" in getting there.

However, there's a problem in that we know where it all goes anyway. There's one comment by Viserys about a future prediction and what is needed, and you just want to LoL because you see he's kind of wrong (and/or right in an unintended way) because of how badly GoT bobbled its endgame. It just ends up feeling like they're all played for chumps and nothing they do much matters anyway.

Other than that, same production quality, cinematography, etc. One scene triggered me to whisper "Dracarys" ahead of time and it was semi-rewarding. Otherwise? Eh. Kind of like, if you've got time and miss Westeros, it's pretty much more of the same without D&D there to fumble the ball, I guess.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Matt Smith was really great in Episode 2, he is adding nuance to what might have been a one-note character. Milly Alcock as well. But I don't know what accent Sonoya Mizuno was trying to emulate (it sounded mostly French); it was rather all over the place.

The dragons are treated rather nonchalantly and showcased when it makes sense.

Prerequisite GoT level grossness, with the crab eater guy.

They're a bit shameless with the music, using GoT theme to open the show but with a different style of opening. I think it looks more like watery BBQ sauce than blood, but whatever.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Matt Smith was really great in Episode 2, he is adding nuance to what might have been a one-note character. Milly Alcock as well. But I don't know what accent Sonoya Mizuno was trying to emulate (it sounded mostly French); it was rather all over the place.

They're a bit shameless with the music, using GoT theme to open the show but with a different style of opening. I think it looks more like watery BBQ sauce than blood, but whatever.
Fire and Sauce.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

I think the entire reason for using the GoT theme in this episode but not Ep1 is so Twitter could overload on this gif.

pointing-leonardo-di-caprio.gif

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Free Forgotten Cities for the win, rofl...!

This probably shouldn't make me laugh, but too much like middle/high school

original-4926-1661753131-34[1].jpg

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I enjoyed ep 3. I really enjoy Matt Smith in his role. Everyone else seems well cast as well. Really liking this so far.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I enjoyed ep 3. I really enjoy Matt Smith in his role. Everyone else seems well cast as well. Really liking this so far.
snap, I forgot e3 came out tonight lol. That's great that Smith is still rocking it.

Edit: watched on Monday. That was spectacular. Daemon/Smith is MVP, and then Rhaenyra... both shone. It's a shame about the time jump soon, Milly Alcock is great.

Last edited:

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
One thing I enjoyed during GoT was the Twitter discourse. Fortunately, HoTD is no different.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Watched episode 3 again. So much said without words throughout the episode. Rhaenyra scenes were great. Daemon going to battle was great. His anger at his brother's message was well done.

Just so much better than season 8. They really got this off to a great start.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I just finished the pilot and I agree with people who said it was like the good parts of Game of Thrones. The level of background detail and the richness of character were more like seasons 1-4 than seasons 5-8. I felt like I was watching interesting characters rather than pieces being mechanically jerked around for the next plot beat which is the biggest problem with those seasons.

I liked the cameo by House Baratheon at the tourney (and of course they show up again with House Stark). It seemed like House Baratheon was a little rebellious even then. That level of detail and richness of wondering what they've been scheming from one small appearance is something that's really cool about Martin's writing.

Last edited:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
just finished last night's episode.

so question about Daemon & Rhaenyra

There is kind of a lot to unpack there, plus still trying to envision how all these pieces are stacking up. Things are being moved around the board, alliances made and broken, people slighted or reinforced. At some point it will all crystalize and we'll see what we're up against.

I found the sex sequencing really interesting in terms of the editing and music and comparison/contrast between a few different encounters. It felt very plot and character driven, not simply superfluous.

That last two minutes was right out of Numbers 5:19-24.

Last edited:

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
just finished last night's episode.

so question about Daemon & Rhaenyra

There is kind of a lot to unpack there, plus still trying to envision how all these pieces are stacking up. Things are being moved around the board, alliances made and broken, people slighted or reinforced. At some point it will all crystalize and we'll see what we're up against.

I found the sex sequencing really interesting in terms of the editing and music and comparison/contrast between a few different encounters. It felt very plot and character driven, not simply superfluous.

That last two minutes was right out of Numbers 5:19-24.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think they shot it to show Daemon was not her first, as he really isn't as bad as his brother thinks so as to take advantage of his drunk niece half his age in a dirty brothel.

That allowed Rhaenyra to go take charge of knight.

The actress for Rhaenyra was 21 during filming, while the actress for Alicent was 18. In the show they are close in age, so Rhaenyra is 18 by this episode. In the book Alicent is several years older than Rhaenyra.

The next episode trailer Rhaenyra's wedding to the Sea Snake's son and it hints things are going to be getting very very messy. It will likely be the last with the current actresses for the girls.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, I think Olivia Cooke and Emma D'arcy are billed in episode 6. I know the book (which I didn't read) had them more separate in age (more like older/younger sister), whereas the show cast them pretty close enough to be peers.

The sequence with Rhaenyra and Criston was done very well, it felt very relaxed, playful, intimate in a good way. I like each of their demeanor's. I was a bit on edge for Criston, I think aside from the act itself he would have been in worse trouble for abandoning his post (so to speak) as a member of the King's Guard. It wasn't really fair to compromise him in such a way, but... we know how Targaryens are. I'm glad at least at this point that Daemon "took the fall" for anything that was out of line, because he at least is the king's brother and has leeway, whereas Criston came from nothing and he would have been lucky to just go back to that if discovered.

I'm still not sure from the show how complicit Alicent was in marrying Viserys. I mean, obviously she was aware of what she was doing, but I feel more from the portrayal that she did it out of loyalty to her family and because of her father's wishes (she was compliant in a way that Rhaenyra is naturally NOT) and now feels rather trapped, as much as ascending to become Queen can become a trap. She has power because of her husband, but she's also in a cage she chose to enter and as much as she and R get into arguments, internally she does seem to feel like just something being used -- a mother, a sex partner, maybe the queen, but who is she really and what did she ever want for herself? I don't feel like I have a good grasp of her as a person, because she's never been allowed to voice what she wants and maybe she doesn't even know.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes, I think Olivia Cooke and Emma D'arcy are billed in episode 6. I know the book (which I didn't read) had them more separate in age (more like older/younger sister), whereas the show cast them pretty close enough to be peers.

The sequence with Rhaenyra and Criston was done very well, it felt very relaxed, playful, intimate in a good way. I like each of their demeanor's. I was a bit on edge for Criston, I think aside from the act itself he would have been in worse trouble for abandoning his post (so to speak) as a member of the King's Guard. It wasn't really fair to compromise him in such a way, but... we know how Targaryens are. I'm glad at least at this point that Daemon "took the fall" for anything that was out of line, because he at least is the king's brother and has leeway, whereas Criston came from nothing and he would have been lucky to just go back to that if discovered.

I'm still not sure from the show how complicit Alicent was in marrying Viserys. I mean, obviously she was aware of what she was doing, but I feel more from the portrayal that she did it out of loyalty to her family and because of her father's wishes (she was compliant in a way that Rhaenyra is naturally NOT) and now feels rather trapped, as much as ascending to become Queen can become a trap. She has power because of her husband, but she's also in a cage she chose to enter and as much as she and R get into arguments, internally she does seem to feel like just something being used -- a mother, a sex partner, maybe the queen, but who is she really and what did she ever want for herself? I don't feel like I have a good grasp of her as a person, because she's never been allowed to voice what she wants and maybe she doesn't even know.
Yes, I feel sorry for Alicent. Luckily for her, her husband isn't going to live that long.

As to Daemon, I think he was exploiting his niece to try to get on the throne. He is much more calculating then he lets on. I think that might have been why he pulled back.

After he was found out anyway, he made the best of it, didn't deny anything, and asked to marry her. If the king didn't have a son, this would have been a good way to stabilize the kingdom. However, Viserys can't get over his contempt for his younger brother.

Besides, the king doth protest too much. He wanted a way to name his son heir.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I guess for a Game of Thrones wedding, that was pretty subdued. I was sitting there clutching the arm of my sofa the whole time, we all know how badly these events typically go in GRRM's world.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Just so good. I am so glad they figured how to do this and avoid (so far) the mistakes of the last season or so of GoT.

It is going to be hard waiting for season 2, once this season is done.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, I'm happy with the quality of the show so far. It's actually a maturely written, fairly complex show, similar to early GoT. The showrunners at least actually care about their story. It feels a step above all the other adaptations we've been discussing recently.

I feel like e5 might have glossed over a few emotional beats that would have allowed us to more easily follow the internal character arcs. (Like, a few big things happened and the involved characters could have been tracked emotionally on screen a bit better, to build the tension.) I think that was my main criticism.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Oh boy...

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
New episode was good. Transition of some of the characters to older actors was amazing. They really cast well.

Lines are being drawn. Heartbreak and betrayal, life and death, all happen. Oh, the pain, the fire.

And I despise Queen Alicent. She is a self righteous witch trying to justify her schemes.