User Tag List

MBTI
    INFP

Question Do S types like table-top role playing games?

I posted this in the Bonfire section and didn't get a single comment, so I thought I would try here. Any comments or thoughts?

It seems to me, from personal experience and intution, that N types get into traditional role playing games like D&D a lot more than S types. S types are all about the sensory imput of the here and now, so to them, they are sitting at a table rolling dice and talking. Whereas N types can get into their characters, and actually become Galt the barbarian warrior or One Eye the old wizard, and experience the thrill of fighting and defeating the orcs or the fearsome red dragon.

I would be interested to hear from any S types that actually like role playing games, and what it takes to get you "into" the game.

What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

I know one who does. He even makes his own games up.

I'm not into them.

Edit: He is very interested in mythology/fantasy/etc. Which may be why he's interested in these sorts of games. He is an IS?J.
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I'm not into them, but I know a lot of SJs that are.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I know some SPs who are, they seem to dabble in everything.

But interestingly, over the course of my life, I've run across a strong contingent of ISTJ males who are into comic books, scifi/fantasy TV shows, scifi novels, and RPGs. it's more like ISTJ guys are polarized... either they think fantasy/scifi/gaming is kind of dumb and uninteresting, or they are really into it in a methodical way.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Some do, some don't - it really depends. I tried them a couple of times, but my group wasn't terribly welcoming, and they weren't all very good friends of mine, so it wasn't n00b friendly. Therefore, I quit after 2 sessions/games/whatever.

But I have S friends who like them - including an ISTx.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

We used to have a fairly good sized gaming group... I think 3 of the 7 were S types... 2 SPs and 1 SJ. I miss it.

If I'm really ISFP, then sure. It's probably something I'd be even more into now, but I don't actually know anyone who's into that. It seems like a fun idea, but I play more video game RPGs. I also just like reading "lore" on fantasy worlds in general. When I was younger, there was a group I hung around with that did it all of the time, but for the most part, I'd just sit back and watch and flip through the D&D books.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    If I'm really ISFP, then sure. It's probably something I'd be even more into now, but I don't actually know anyone who's into that. It seems like a fun idea, but I play more video game RPGs. I also just like reading "lore" on fantasy worlds in general. When I was younger, there was a group I hung around with that did it all of the time, but for the most part, I'd just sit back and watch and flip through the D&D books.
    Yeah, all my friends that used to roleplay moved away. So I don't know anyone else that's into it. I tend to gravitate towards RPG games too. I used to keep notes from our gaming sessions and write little short stories from our sessions. The guys got a pretty good kick out of it.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

What's an example? Is that like warhammer or something?

I don't think I've ever tried them. I tried playing a D&D-imitation-like game once and it seriously made me want to gouge my eyes out I was so bored. And I'm a huge fantasy/sci fi nerd.

video game rpgs can be pretty fun (but get boring before long and don't have good replay value for me)

I like tabletop (and computer) strategy games, though.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

LOVE THEM! Haven't had a group in a long while though. Used to played a bunch of D&D with some friends until my DM left the state

But yes, AD&D 2nd Edition and White Wolf's World of Darkness, love them both
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson