User Tag List

First 123 Last

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Oh yeah, I also had a decent contract job which I got picked up for by a recruiter, from having registered on Monster. I think that's worth it particularly if you have somewhat specialized skills. THe job was editing audio transcripts for the courts. I would have stayed with it but had a publishing opportunity come along which I really wanted to pursue.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I've gotten all my jobs from answering ads in the newspaper, but I've been at the same one now for 11 years, so it's been awhile, maybe things have changed. I know that after a couple of jobs in the same field, it was easier to get another job in that field. Relevant education and experience of any kind that tracks is helpful. The more specialized you can become in your chosen field, the better off you seem to be. There might be fewer jobs, but there are also fewer applicants. I researched what areas within my skill set had the most steady demand, and I sent out resumes and pulled out all the stops to talk my first boss into hiring me with no experience, put in a couple of years, moved up; put in a couple more years; moved up, etc.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Networking, and connections.
    I think this gets you further than anything else.

---------------

I got my current job by creating it. Started a small business. I can't work for others; it's awful.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sp
    Socionics
    INTp

By applying to an ad on craigslist (current job only).

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I'll talk about real jobs, vs. summer jobs, school jobs, and internships.

Job 1 - I had no job when I graduated from college. I assumed a particular firm would hire me. They didn't. It was during a recession and it was hard to get a job. I spent a couple months doing research on the fastest growing industry sectors, best companies to work for, etc. and sent letters to 60 of them. Actually, I sent wedding invitations, "You are cordially invited to hire.....". I included a miniature copy of my resume in there. It did work and I did get a job in a couple of months.

Job 2 - Disenchanted with Job 1, I picked 3 companies I wanted to work for, found the right person to send the resumes to, who I knew or were prominent in my field. I got interviews with 2 of them. I didn't like the one and the other I did like, I took. It took about 2 or 3 weeks I think.

Job 3 - A headhunter or recruiter called me, luring me away from Job 2. They were patient in pursuing me for about 8 months at which point, I finally caved in and took the offer.

So, it got increasingly easy each time. Not sure that will always be the case though.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

ThatGirl

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Actually, I sent wedding invitations, "You are cordially invited to hire.....". I included a miniature copy of my resume in there. It did work and I did get a job in a couple of months.
    Holy shit, that's funny.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I landed my current job through contacts I made while in the military. I have been very lucky with employment, and always able to network my way into jobs as needed. I usually focused on using contacts and persistence to get into the organization I wanted, and then working my way into the preferred job after proving myself.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Found my first job over an ad at university. In that job then the main task is to build networks over netwroks of people. Now I have a lot of connections I can go to, especially as an engineer you can basically choose your job. I applied for an internship via mail at several companies and all replied with about 2/3 wanting me.

Best thing to get a job is always connections and a network. If you are on the lookput, I'd advise signing up on a business social media site, a serious one; not necessarily a recruiter site. Sending mails or letters to companies sometimes takes them millenia to respond to, so maybe calling them or adressing mails to bosses would be a good idea.

I got lucky so far in finding jobs but it can be tough as hell. Guess the best thing is to try try try and never stop that. In Germany we have something called "labor department" in every town and they have huge collections of people looking for employees. If you can maybe build some connections over a job offer network that would be a good thing.

I keep thumbs crossed
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I'll talk about real jobs, vs. summer jobs, school jobs, and internships.

Job 1 - I had no job when I graduated from college. I assumed a particular firm would hire me. They didn't. It was during a recession and it was hard to get a job. I spent a couple months doing research on the fastest growing industry sectors, best companies to work for, etc. and sent letters to 60 of them. Actually, I sent wedding invitations, "You are cordially invited to hire.....". I included a miniature copy of my resume in there. It did work and I did get a job in a couple of months.

Job 2 - Disenchanted with Job 1, I picked 3 companies I wanted to work for, found the right person to send the resumes to, who I knew or were prominent in my field. I got interviews with 2 of them. I didn't like the one and the other I did like, I took. It took about 2 or 3 weeks I think.

Job 3 - A headhunter or recruiter called me, luring me away from Job 2. They were patient in pursuing me for about 8 months at which point, I finally caved in and took the offer.

So, it got increasingly easy each time. Not sure that will always be the case though.
    That's awesome. What kind of work do you do?

MBTI
    nerd

"networking" (bribes).