• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why do you think some people have no morals or conscience?

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You dont believe in the universal? Really? How do you use prescription medicine which has been developed on that basis? Do you travel by cars or other means of transport which are more or less generic to human beings or are you working on your own personal hover craft or something?

Well shit. You found me out. My hovercraftian project was suppose to be secret.

Lark

I tend to think these sorts of people are taking over all the governments of the english speaking world

Pandemeria

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm intrigued by people who know they're doing wrong things but they keep doing it over and over and they never learn their lessons.
Do you think there's a chemical imbalance to their brains as to why they have no guilt for what they do to others? They lack empathy as well and are manipulative.

Why do some people not have any guilt for what they do -- or do they really think what they did to people was justified when it actually isn't? That's the only reason I could think of.

They know the difference between right and wrong, but they still choose to do the same bad things over and over.

On the one hand, you have things like psychopathy, sociopathy, and malignant narcissism. From what I've read in articles (and seen in documentaries), these traits result from a combination of genetic vulnerability and environmental factors, e.g., growing up with abuse.

On the other hand, even normal people have tendencies to act in a way that is unconscionable. Take the Standford Prison Experiment, for instance. Stanford prison experiment - Wikipedia

The students involved in this experiment that filled the role of prison guards were healthy and mentally sound, but even so, they resorted to sadistic behaviour. They tormented and humiliated the students who acted as prisoners.

The Milgram Experiment is another good example of this inclination.

Milgram experiment - Wikipedia

When asked by authority figures in lab gear to administer a fatal electric shock, the majority of participants complied.

The conclusion I've drawn is that many of these reprehensible acts are, at their root, caused by either having authority over others or answering to an authority figure.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
On the one hand, you have things like psychopathy, sociopathy, and malignant narcissism. From what I've read in articles (and seen in documentaries), these traits result from a combination of genetic vulnerability and environmental factors, e.g., growing up with abuse.

On the other hand, even normal people have tendencies to act in a way that is unconscionable. Take the Standford Prison Experiment, for instance. Stanford prison experiment - Wikipedia

The students involved in this experiment that filled the role of prison guards were healthy and mentally sound, but even so, they resorted to sadistic behaviour. They tormented and humiliated the students who acted as prisoners.

The Milgram Experiment is another good example of this inclination.

Milgram experiment - Wikipedia

When asked by authority figures in lab gear to administer a fatal electric shock, the majority of participants complied.

The conclusion I've drawn is that many of these reprehensible acts are, at their root, caused by either having authority over others or answering to an authority figure.

I remember the standford experiment. It drives home this point about human nature for the most part.

HisKittyKat

MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
4w5
I'm intrigued by people who know they're doing wrong things but they keep doing it over and over and they never learn their lessons.
Do you think there's a chemical imbalance to their brains as to why they have no guilt for what they do to others? They lack empathy as well and are manipulative.

Why do some people not have any guilt for what they do -- or do they really think what they did to people was justified when it actually isn't? That's the only reason I could think of.

They know the difference between right and wrong, but they still choose to do the same bad things over and over.

People with a sense of entitlement often think they don't have to follow the same rules as other people. You take Robert Chambers for example, he thought he was too entitled to be arrested for murder. He thought his money would save him and the Jury would side with him because of it. He had 0 remorse for killing Jennifer Levy, instead he mocked and made fun of her with a barbie after he killed her. Obviously he was a sociopath also, they don't have a conscience, and when you don't feel you don't care. The world is filled with men like him.

Also people will repeat the same thing over and over if there are no consequences, not matter if they know right from wrong . Some people also have no problem cutting of their nose to spite their face, they are their own worse enemy. Again, sociopaths will go to great lengths to hurt others, however in the end they also end up hurting themselves because they can't help themselves, they go overboard with everything and would rather ending up with the shitty end of the stick in the process of winning.

Last but not least you have those who blame everyone but themselves for things that go wrong, so therefore it is never their fault, so they keep repeating the same mistake over and over.

At the end of the day it depends on the mistake, for example one could say it is better to make the same mistake over and over until you get it right, so it really does depend on the content.

Some psychologists link a lack of nurturing as infants to sociopathy. A lack of bonding with the mother early in life leaves an individual to be disconnected from others.

The funny thing about sociopaths is that they can be exceptionally good at mimicking empathy. A lot of people assume sociopaths are the quiet guy, the introverted one. Truth is they can appear quite social. Most people work with them and converse with them on a daily basis and never know it.

They lack a conscious and because of this the idea of punishment through rehabilitation is useless. You can't teach them to truly care for others, they can't grow a conscious.