• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

why do we celebrate holidays

draon9

Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so
Have you ever wondered why we celebrate holidays.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
What is there to wonder? Many of them are or stem from religion or belief of one kind or another. Others are celebrated because of specific times of the year without any religious involvement. Some shouldn't be a holiday at all - like Columbus Day in the US. Why is that even a thing?

draon9

Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so
I'm saying this because the concept of some of these holidays can get a little sick. we are better off without some of them.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
You don't have to celebrate them if you don't want to...

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It is more difficult than it seems, especially with Christmas. My in-laws think I hate Jesus.

Yea, it's definitely frowned upon when I say I don't have a tree every year. I just don't care about that stuff. Participating in traditional rituals that I are simply for the sake of tradition has never been my thing though.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I'm saying this because the concept of some of these holidays can get a little sick. we are better off without some of them.

Then you may abstain from celebrating the holidays you feel are "sick". See how that works?

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Sometimes they are fun. My favorite is Halloween although I wasn't allowed to trick or treat until I was too old to do so (so I just wore "ghost costumes" so no one could tell how old I was :wink: but now I'm definitely too old).

I don't care for all of them though. I don't celebrate the ones that I don't care about. Sure, that can be difficult sometimes, with the really commercialized ones, but that doesn't mean I'm forced to participate.