• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What'cha Reading?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Just finished The Strange Case of Dr.Jekyll and Mr.Hyde-Definitely if not in my top 5 in my top 10 favorite books. This book caught my attention from the first page on. I had been meaning to read it for years, finally got around to it. Now I'm going to read Arabian Nights

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Still reading the Hemingway bio. Also reading Ray Bradbury's A Medicine for Melancholy.

93JC

The Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris and (Robert B. Parker's) Lullaby by Ace Atkins. Or at least I'm trying to, having gone as far as borrowing them from the library about a week ago. I'm only seven chapters into Lullaby and haven't started The Silence of the Lambs. :ninja:

I read Red Dragon by Harris about three years ago and liked it (the first film adaptation, Manhunter by Michael Mann, is among my favourite movies), so I have high hopes for The Silence of the Lambs.

I have read about ten of the Spenser books by Parker, starting from the first published in 1973. It's light, fluffy, pop detective stuff; I'm a sucker for it. For the '70s Spenser probably seemed 'fresh' while evoking memories of better-known fictional detectives like Hammett's 'Sam Spade' and 'Nick and Nora', and Chandler's 'Philip Marlowe', but by the tenth book (mid-'80s) it felt awfully hokey and I just couldn't be bothered to slog through another one. Lullaby was the first Spenser novel published after Parker's death a couple years ago. We'll see how it goes, I guess. I'm hoping a new author might have injected a little bit of life into the character.

Eilonwy

Vulnerability
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=10757]Nicodemus[/MENTION], Peace by Gene Wolfe was most excellent! Even more open-ended and filled with intriguing possibilities than The New Sun books. A rambling wonder of a book.

Nicodemus

[MENTION=10757]Nicodemus[/MENTION], Peace by Gene Wolfe was most excellent! Even more open-ended and filled with intriguing possibilities than The New Sun books. A rambling wonder of a book.
Oh no, my poor Must Read List...

Thanks, though.

Just finished Kindred by Octavia Butler and Harbor by John Ajvide Lindqvist. Both were creeptastic.

I'm going to start a new book soon, either The Orphan Master's Son by Adam Johnson or Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Breaking Night by Liz Murray, From homeless teen to Harvard grad. You too can be a Harvard grad even if both your parents are drug addicts.

L

LadyLazarus

The back of a soup can; I haven't gotten up to how many calories it contains yet, I'm saving the best part for last.

L

LadyLazarus

How was it? I'm thinking about doing that one for my book club.

Meh the plot was pretty good but the ending was too unrealistic(200 calories my ass) for my tastes, I recommend reading the back of a cereal box over a soup can any day.

Noll

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
The Idiot. I like it so far but it feels very different from Crime and Punishment, Notes From Underground and White Nights. Which is all I've read by Dostoevsky. The Idiot doesn't feel as brooding and mind-y so far. I kind of liked that with the other books.

Flâneuse

don't ask me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The Buddha and the Sahibs by Charles Allen. It's about the discovery of Buddhism's lost history in India.