• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What are you doing to improve the world?

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
There is a widespread sentiment that we are completely and utterly fucked. This forum is not immune. While I don't wish to minimize the gravity of what is going on, I'm curious what people are doing to remedy of the situation. Are you actively engaged in trying to make things better in some way, or do you feel more that things are hopeless? Are you somewhere in between, and just don't know where to begin?

For myself, I have been doing some phone banking for state issues. There is also another organization I joined that I hope to get more involved, but I'm not sure if they are doing anything in the current moment. I don't always read all emails like I should, so I may not be on top of things in that regard even though I am on a mailing list.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
It's the little things. My talents are mostly creative, so I enjoy making things for people. I feel like if you can improve one person's day, you've done your human duty. Last week, in my free time, I taught myself a programming language just to make a platformer arcade game starring my bestie that lives across the country. We went to high school together (nerds), so I stole photos of old high school rivals off facebook and put them in the game as minions and bosses. He enjoyed it I think. Before that I was into composing synth tracks using mostly samples of old home movie recordings for my family. Currently trying to decide if I should get to polishing and carving my collection of rocks as gifts, or get back into oil painting and use up the rest of my canvases. I'm about maxed out on my computer time.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
There is a widespread sentiment that we are completely and utterly fucked. This forum is not immune. While I don't wish to minimize the gravity of what is going on, I'm curious what people are doing to remedy of the situation. Are you actively engaged in trying to make things better in some way, or do you feel more that things are hopeless? Are you somewhere in between, and just don't know where to begin?

For myself, I have been doing some phone banking for state issues. There is also another organization I joined that I hope to get more involved, but I'm not sure if they are doing anything in the current moment. I don't always read all emails like I should, so I may not be on top of things in that regard even though I am on a mailing list.

The need is so great at the moment. I'm spending half my time delivering food and supplies, the other half dispatching/coordinating. Some awesome Sikh folks have gotten involved - they're always there when a crisis calls, I just wish more people knew this. I live on a cul de sac with 14 houses and we've been doing a rotating shopping/cooking - we have a few nurses and a hospital pharmacist so they're quarantining away from family.

I dunno man, I'm building community. Whatever that requires, I'm doing it, ether for my job or the area I live. That other org you're not sure if they're currently doing anything - contact them. Don't wait for them to tell you they're doing something.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
shout out to [MENTION=14857]Powehi[/MENTION] for being the resident chick who literally gave me some hope during this situation.

Because my family is high risk I cannot do a lot besides huddle down. but if we absolutely need something I volunteer to go get it and I do sanitization to protect everyone. I've done laundry for my mom a few times recently too just because I know we're all freaked out. I think [MENTION=20035]anticlimatic[/MENTION] said a good note, that it is the small things. and [MENTION=4050]ceecee[/MENTION] made great points about building community. I wish I could get involved in some of the giving food to those in need stuff but I can't at the moment, but if you can, PLEASE consider volunteering at a soup kitchen or food pantry. the need has risen greatly but there are not enough people volunteering to keep these things open. Offer to shop for a neighbor who is high risk. If you know how to produce certain goods, share. Social distance best you can. Do the little things.

:hug:

As usual, I’m helping out those closest to me. I’ve never held the illusion that I can single-handedly change the world. That being said, it doesn’t mean my actions don’t possess the energy to ripple out into the wider universe. We alter things in little ways everyday, perhaps we each inspire someone that in turn inspires someone else.

That’s enough positivity from me, I feel queasy now.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
As usual, I’m helping out those closest to me. I’ve never held the illusion that I can single-handedly change the world. That being said, it doesn’t mean my actions don’t possess the energy to ripple out into the wider universe. We alter things in little ways everyday, perhaps we each inspire someone that in turn inspires someone else.

No one can do this.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am not in a position I can do anything right now, but I am prone to random acts of kindness to strangers. I also got into growing my own food. Especially tomatoes and onions. My asparagus finally reached peak year too. I can harvest like 3 stalks a day per plant. It will pile up soon. I also cook for people quite frequently and spend time with them. Since I am kinda famous for being the only person who can make Asian food at home. I have also baked for people's birthday parties randomly. I pick up trash on the side of the road as well, because I hate that shit getting everywhere. Littering is a pet peeve of mine. I have given rides to people who are stranded, or their car broke down. I have given money and rides to homeless people.

Nothing too amazing, but yeah. The little things help a lot. I also enjoy doing it.

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The need is so great at the moment. I'm spending half my time delivering food and supplies, the other half dispatching/coordinating. Some awesome Sikh folks have gotten involved - they're always there when a crisis calls, I just wish more people knew this. I live on a cul de sac with 14 houses and we've been doing a rotating shopping/cooking - we have a few nurses and a hospital pharmacist so they're quarantining away from family.

I dunno man, I'm building community. Whatever that requires, I'm doing it, ether for my job or the area I live. That other org you're not sure if they're currently doing anything - contact them. Don't wait for them to tell you they're doing something.

With regards to delivering food and supplies, how much personal contact is there? I live with seniors, so trying to avoid the risk of spreading it to them is a concern for me, as well. I'd also probably just be limited to walking distance with regards to something like that, because I don't wish to go on public transportation at the moment.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
With regards to delivering food and supplies, how much personal contact is there? I live with seniors, so trying to avoid the risk of spreading it to them is a concern for me, as well. I'd also probably just be limited to walking distance with regards to something like that, because I don't wish to go on public transportation at the moment.

Zero. I leave it on their porch or step. They know it's coming so I text them that it's there and leave.

á´…eparted

passages
I have long been a confidant for a number of people, stretching back to childhood. It is very easy for me to cut through peoples emotional fog, help them process and understand, be a shoulder to cry on. The emotions of others rarely bother me. It isn't much, but for those people it matters a ton. I am not a physical person so I am most useful to others in emotional and mental ways. This has come into play a few times with helping give people prospective on the virus and reduce feelings of panic and helplessness.

On a literal level for the virus I am currently living with my grandparents, who are high risk. I do all of the shopping so they can stay home, and generally help around the house.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I'm like Pop here. I'm trying to be there for people already in my sphere. Especially my mother.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think one of my few more unique things I can offer is beauty and creations - so I have been sharing almost daily photos I have taken while on my solitary walks, and art pieces on facebook. I think it can uplift people and I just try to in general be a voice and role model. I try not to add to noise and anger. I spam my wall/feed with nature images and am starting to present more natural history type info on various species. People get enough of the other nonsense and information dumps from everyone else, so I try to not write about any of that on my own pages. I have also been making it a point to touch base with my parents and brother more often and keep better tabs on friends.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
I volunteer at the animal shelter. I also volunteered at the hospital for a while helping old people but I had to stop that after a while because of schedule conflicts. I cant currently volunteer at the shelter because the states on lockdown but I plan to go back when I can. Its not helping PEOPLE- and its not directly related to the covid crisis- but its something I enjoy doing and if it helps in some way then Ill continue doing it

I live with my parents right now so right now- I probably do most of the shopping and when I go out Ill always ask them what they need. Thats really all.

á´…eparted

passages
I think one of my few more unique things I can offer is beauty and creations - so I have been sharing almost daily photos I have taken while on my solitary walks, and art pieces on facebook. I think it can uplift people and I just try to in general be a voice and role model. I try not to add to noise and anger. I spam my wall/feed with nature images and am starting to present more natural history type info on various species. People get enough of the other nonsense and information dumps from everyone else, so I try to not write about any of that on my own pages. I have also been making it a point to touch base with my parents and brother more often and keep better tabs on friends.

Art has been, and always be important to the human experience. While we must attend to practical matters - because without doing so we can't do anything else - that is a part of the puzzle; doing just that doesn't offer any full sense of well being or hope. We are all (to varying extents of course) emotional beings with emotional needs. To not be able to express ourselves, and find ourselves and experiences through the works of others, is an incomplete and hollow existence.

Beauty matters.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Exactly. No one can fix everything, but if each of us chooses one thing that we can affect or improve, the world would be a much better place.

I am not doing anything specifically for the current COVID-19 situation, other than playing music in the recorded Sunday services my church is posting on Youtube in lieu of in-person gathering. In general, I manage the website for a local civic organization, and do STEM educational outreach, mostly mentoring kids doing science fair projects, and visiting school classes to do hands-on activities. The last two are on hold for now, though the volunteer group website has a bunch of activities posted that kids can do at home.

I volunteer at the animal shelter. I also volunteered at the hospital for a while helping old people but I had to stop that after a while because of schedule conflicts. I cant currently volunteer at the shelter because the states on lockdown but I plan to go back when I can. Its not helping PEOPLE- and its not directly related to the covid crisis- but its something I enjoy doing and if it helps in some way then Ill continue doing it

I live with my parents right now so right now- I probably do most of the shopping and when I go out Ill always ask them what they need. Thats really all.
Helping animals and the elderly is helping the world in the bigger picture and should not be overlooked just because those activities don’t relate directly to Covid-19. Shopping for your parents is minimizing their exposure to the virus and that is helping to keep them safe. Plus volunteering is obviously good for you if you enjoy it and feel it’s a rewarding experience.

I am not doing anything specifically for the current COVID-19 situation, other than playing music in the recorded Sunday services my church is posting you Youtube in lieu of in-person gathering. In general, I manage the website for a local civic organization, and do STEM educational outreach, mostly mentoring kids doing science fair projects, and visiting school classes to do hands-on activities. The last two are on hold for now, though the volunteer group website has a bunch of activities posted that kids can do at home.

Just like with Frosty, you are contributing to the bigger picture. As for providing music for your church’s service, that’s a part of bringing comfort to it’s members. That’s providing support which is no small thing.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
1f99f2ab1ee377d75d498640aebe28fc.gif