• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Two Poets

Mole

Permabanned
Ted Hughes was Poet Laureate of England, and Sylvia Plath was his American wife.

Ted was deeply in touch with his unconscious and expressed it beautifully and freely in poetry.

Sylvia suffered a life time mental illness which finally killed her. Sylvia was deeply attracted to Ted's healthy unconscious and hoped he would save her from from her self destructive unconscious.

Sylvia also wanted to be a famous poet and Ted taught her how to write poetry, but at the expense of putting Sylvia at the mercy of her destructive unconscious, and it killed her.

Today we use typing to hide from who we are. Typing is an excellent defence mechanism. Who would have guessed?

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
wrong... she learned at smith college...

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Did she kill herself [MENTION=3325]Mole[/MENTION]?

Mole

Permabanned
wrong... she learned at smith college...

Poetry is a matter of taste which can be cultivated, however all of Sylvia Plath's great poems were written after Sylvia met Ted, and Ted consciously taught Sylvia how to write great poetry by getting in touch with her unconscious.

Ted was happily in touch with his own unconscious, and it fed his poetry, and he thought the same would apply to his loved wife, Sylvia, but he was blind to the damaged and damaging unconscious of his wife.

Ted didn't know his wife was insane, and he didn't know that the worst thing he could do for his wife was to put her in touch with her destructive unconscious to write poetry. It is a classic tragedy.

Mole

Permabanned
Did she kill herself [MENTION=3325]Mole[/MENTION]?

Yes, Sylvia gassed herself in the oven while her children were upstairs.

And well before Sylvia met Ted, she made very serious attempts to kill herself in the USA.

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes, Sylvia gassed herself in the oven while her children were upstairs.

And well before Sylvia met Ted, she made very serious attempts to kill herself in the USA.

Ah, that’s sad...

Mole

Permabanned
Ah, that’s sad...

What is extraordinary is the blindness of Ted. Ted and Sylvia were both deeply in love and writing poetry together. Ted was being fed by his unconscious, while Sylvia's unconscious was trying to kill her.

After Sylvia's suicide Ted formed another relationship with a woman with a self destructive unconscious. And this second wife also committed suicide.

Interestingly, the feminists blame Ted for both suicides.

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What is extraordinary is the blindness of Ted. Ted and Sylvia were both deeply in love and writing poetry together. Ted was being fed by his unconscious, while Sylvia's unconscious was trying to kill her.

After Sylvia's suicide Ted formed another relationship with a woman with a self destructive unconscious. And this second wife also committed suicide.

Interestingly, the feminists blame Ted for both suicides.

Wow, that really sucks... :( maybe diving into one’s unconscious isn’t for everyone...

Mole

Permabanned
Wow, that really sucks... :( maybe diving into one’s unconscious isn’t for everyone...

Caring for the whole person is most important.

We are entranced when we fall in love, our critical mind goes to sleep and we are suggestible, so we only see part of the person we love.

It is magic when imagination and reality marry, it is magic when we make the unconscious, conscious. We want magic, but we want to be safe.

So we can learn to enjoy magic safely. We might start with reading "The Way of Trance" by Dennis Wier, followed by attending a practical course by a Sports' Psychologist, who will be teaching athletes to improve their performance, but will also teach us how to enjoy magic safely.

Tragedies do occur, as we see in the great tragic plays of the Ancient Greeks, and today.

Mole

Permabanned
Sylvia Plath wrote great poetry at the cost of her life. Was it worth it, or would Sylvia been better to attend therapy, and live a life without poetry?

And would it be better for us to attend therapy rather than fantasising about mbti? And what is the cost of fantasising about mbti on the net?

We are not so different from Sylvia.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Poetry is a matter of taste which can be cultivated, however all of Sylvia Plath's great poems were written after Sylvia met Ted, and Ted consciously taught Sylvia how to write great poetry by getting in touch with her unconscious.

Ted was happily in touch with his own unconscious, and it fed his poetry, and he thought the same would apply to his loved wife, Sylvia, but he was blind to the damaged and damaging unconscious of his wife.

Ted didn't know his wife was insane, and he didn't know that the worst thing he could do for his wife was to put her in touch with her destructive unconscious to write poetry. It is a classic tragedy.

he abused her and cheated on her... they were seperated at the time of her death (though still legally married)... she was going to a psychiatrist, though i don't recall if that started before they had seperated... your narrative is full of holes mole...

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
he abused her and cheated on her... they were seperated at the time of her death (though still legally married)... she was going to a psychiatrist, though i don't recall if that started before they had seperated... your narrative is full of holes mole...

Omg that’s way more tragic :cry: poor Sylvia...

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
“People are always going to make comparisons to my parents, which is always the simple, easy and lazy thing to do.”
- frieda hughes
(the quote is referencing comparisons to herself, but i thought it was fun without the context)

so when his mistress assia also gassed herself with an oven (killed her four year old aswell), that must have been super confusing for poor innocent ted... and i guess he wasn't confirmed to have slept with (at least) two others while with assia? shit, that ted just didn't have enough sense to see he was hooking up with women who felt suicidal for reasons Impossible to tie to his own actions... he was probablly too busy touching his unconcious self (phrasing, lol) to pay attention to the way his actions impacted others... yeah, he was a good poet... but he was a dickhead also...

you crack me up... and that rep? if you can't handle criticism (ever), block away... i generally don't go out of my way to disagree with you, but ffs... this is such a simple thing to research... when you bring specific people into an example, don't be shocked when someone knows something about them... as for feminism, i could give two shits less... you can read about what happened between them straight from the horse's mouth, and i find people personally involved to be a better source than you...

she attended therapy and poetry didn't kill her... your comparsion is false mole... maybe you just need a different example to make your point?

Mole

Permabanned
“People are always going to make comparisons to my parents, which is always the simple, easy and lazy thing to do.”
- frieda hughes
(the quote is referencing comparisons to herself, but i thought it was fun without the context)

so when his mistress assia also gassed herself with an oven (killed her four year old aswell), that must have been super confusing for poor innocent ted... and i guess he wasn't confirmed to have slept with (at least) two others while with assia? shit, that ted just didn't have enough sense to see he was hooking up with women who felt suicidal for reasons Impossible to tie to his own actions... he was probablly too busy touching his unconcious self (phrasing, lol) to pay attention to the way his actions impacted others... yeah, he was a good poet... but he was a dickhead also...

you crack me up... and that rep? if you can't handle criticism (ever), block away... i generally don't go out of my way to disagree with you, but ffs... this is such a simple thing to research... when you bring specific people into an example, don't be shocked when someone knows something about them... as for feminism, i could give two shits less... you can read about what happened between them straight from the horse's mouth, and i find people personally involved to be a better source than you...

she attended therapy and poetry didn't kill her... your comparsion is false mole... maybe you just need a different example to make your point?

I am sympathetic to Ted because the same thing happened to me.

Women who are psychotic, who are out of touch with reality, and who receive unconscious messages to kill themselves, and sometime to kill their children, have been attracted to both Ted and me, in the hope a sane and kindly lover might save them from their psychosis. And we couldn't save them.

I do think though that in teaching Sylvia how to write great poetry, Ted accessed Sylvia's lethal unconscious. And I think if Ted had not accessed Sylvia's lethal unconscious, Sylvia would have gone on continuing to write mediocre poetry.

Ted and Sylvia were both in love with each other, and just as love is blind, Ted was blind to Sylvia's psychosis. It is a classic tragedy.

mooncakes

MBTI Type
Infp
Enneagram
4w5
Those both clearly have low sensing functions, now I’m certain Sylvia is an Infp, her fi is quite evident combined with her dreamy nature of ne I don’t know much about Ted, but I listened to their interview and he appears to have fe. He is typed as infj which he may be or perhaps enfj, but he seems more introverted.