• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

That Little Voice in Your Head... Others May Not Have One

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
While it’s obvious everyone thinks in starkly contrasting ways (this forum wouldn’t exist otherwise, right?)— it’s only recently come to my attention that some people don’t think specifically in words, or “hear” their thoughts/have a running inner monologue. The things we take for granted.

Interesting article about it below. Figured I’d share.

Thoughts? Do you have an inner voice? If not, what’s that like for you?

Discuss.

( I’d like to add a poll to this, eventually... Xenforo has made that confusing. *cough* @highlander )

Electronvolt

Hi, I'm new here but I find this topic very interesting so I want to contribute to the discussion!

I was living in a dormitory when I heard about people living with a narrator inside their heads that talks CONSTANTLY and I was shocked. I assumed it was something rare, so I had to ask others. I was living with 5 people at the time, and (out of 6) only 2 of of us were "non-narrative" types!

It is super rare for me to think in words or hear a monologue when I'm thinking. (Unless it is a memory but that always comes with images, I will explain this later)
When I do think in a monologue, that mostly happens when I think about thinking in my own voice, if that makes sense? So I believe this means I am capable of it, I just don't use it.
Something that is also rare for me but happens more than any kind of monologue, is when a song is stuck in my head. There are people who complain about this more frequently than I do and it also lasts longer for them. This makes me wonder if this could be because they are monologue-type people?

Now I will try to do my best to explain how my brain works. I have different ways of thinking:

1.The most basic one is when there is no obvious source of thought you could examine like a voice or anything concrete, the thoughts are just there as conclusions. I can describe it like when you use your reflexes, you don't experience the train of thought itself (or maybe you do, for me it's just pure action) you just "know" what to do and execute it. (I have fast reflexes by the way) This is what I do automatically, especially when I actively pay attention to my surroundings. I also use this kind of thinking when I draw something for fun and there is no concrete, visualized idea yet to work with. I never understood people who asked me what I'm drawing, and they were confused when I told them that I had no idea until it "appeared" on the paper. I can draw a face or a house without knowing what it is while I'm drawing the first line. It just happens, it comes from a place I can't describe in any other way than complete darkness. I also use this way of thinking when I read a textbook and it discusses mathematics or something theoretical but not very imagination-inspiring. I focus on understanding and making sense of the information and it is like a transaction with this "dark space" inside my head. I try to store and access knowledge like packages of information but I can't hear or see them. It is like waiting for a database to send a response back to my query, I don't see how it does it or where or what the data is, I just make the request and it responds. When there is a delay, I get frustrated. Like when I forget a word, I just can't access that information because I have no response. Once I tried to remember a password for an account I had on a website. I gave up after a few minutes and I'm not kidding, two weeks later in a random moment when I was doing something completely unrelated I just received the answer. I think this illustrates this database-like behaviour well.

2. Sometimes when I'm either bored (on a train or bus for example and I'm too lazy to play sudoku on my phone and simply looking at what people do is not enough) or I try to imagine something in the real world, I can see both the "real life" and the "mental image" on top of it where I changed something. Like when I try to imagine if a new piece of furniture will fit in somewhere. Or I imagine someone slipping on a banana peel (the idea itself comes from the "dark space" and my imagination takes the idea and creates the image). This kind of thinking is similar to what phones do when you use an AR app with your camera :) (My brain can surprise me with very random ideas when I'm in a creative mood, it is very entertaining)

So in the first two examples, there is no narrative or any kind of voice at all. Even if someone would try to force me to think in sentences all the time I would shut up very fast because I would have to concentrate on it to happen. I would zone out and swim in my abstract space of knowledge instead.
When I'm in a coffee shop and I'm thinking about what to order and I have to use a different language, I might "hear" a single word or two if I'm not sure about the knowledge I gathered inside. I try to find out how a certain word sounds like and I mentally "practice" it. It is a very quick process tho, because I would rather pronounce it wrong than spending too much time thinking about it when there is no obvious answer.

3. When I completely enter my head and I don't pay attention to my surroundings at all, I usually work with images or entire movies. This happens when I focus on a memory (with voices added to the mix, if there was a dialogue), try to imagine a scene from a fiction book or a 3D geometric shape to solve a mathematical problem. I also use this when somebody tells me about something that happened to them. My imagination tries to fill in the gaps when their description is not complete, and I ask questions for clarification, based on the image I started to build. Friends sometimes laugh and don't get it why I ask something specific when they said something very general. I have no idea what these decisions are based on because it all comes from the "dark space", but sometimes it is logical. Like, if somebody talks about a chair I assume it has four legs. This is also why I misinterpret things sometimes, I take some details for granted what comes from "inside" and not "outside". This way of thinking is very similar to using a VR app.

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
I do mostly have inner monologue and was surprised with that news either.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Ive actually been talking about this a lot recently irl and with people online weirdly.

I have one. Its not constant, like Ill have periods where Im just sort of “existing” but its there. A lot of times its related to my emotions “like omg im so fucking annoyed right now” or berating myself. But sometimes its about random shit.

So my answer is yes I have one but its not constant. I read an article saying the average amount of time the average person has an inner monologue is about 20-25% of the time. But some people experience it up to maybe 75% of the time.

Its kinda cool. But I cant imagine NEVER having an inner monologue. Though maybe that might be cool because from what Ive sorta gathered/speculated is it seems the people who do report having an inner monologue also seem to report more anxiety than people who do not.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't have an inner monologue in the sense of words. My mind is always buzzing, just not with words or any language. It's more of images, impressions, notions, concepts. You know that feeling when you are asked to define a word and you know what it means but you can't explain it in language? There's a concept that exists in your mind, that you understand, that is real, but that you aren't quite translating into words.

I've had this conversation before. The way I explain it to people who don't do it is ... pictures, for example. Street signs.
anBn.png

You know what this is. Yet, this is not a word. Now imagine a constant stream of more abstract forms of this, made-up and hyper-individualised. I have to translate them to actual language to communicate them. I already have the notion, the information, the topic, just not in English. Or any language. Thinking this way is faster than "spoken" language and more native and comfortable to me. (Seeing a "U-Turn" sign is faster than actually physically (or even mentally) pronouncing the syllables of the word, "U-Turn").

Tiny extra. Something that's boggled me to discover is that some people apparently do not, and cannot "hear" voices in their head. They can't replay a song, or replay a person's voice, or "hear" made-up lines with a person's voice. Utterly boggling to me.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My inner voice is introverted intuition. Constant, persistent, perception and a kind of judgrnent going all the time

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
The things we take for granted.
:-[ are you calling me a freak?

Jokes aside, I rarely verbalise my thoughts.
How is that for me? uh. well, have you heard of the philosophical zombie?

I guess my thoughts are more akin to a web of connections, but they are not precisely verbal, closer to what triggers inner monologue rather than the monologue itself, if that makes sense.
But feel free to picture me as a soulless monster masquerading as human.

Last edited:

ygolo

My termites win
It is hard for me to understand what the experience is for someone who doesn't have any internal subjective representations in mind. But the fact that sometimes there is no verbal component to those internal representations is not surprising to me.

In my happier moments, my internal representations are generally non-verbal. Even when verbal, internal monologue only comes about when I am rehearsing something I want to say or write.

If I could think and talk only in diagrams, I probably would. It feels so much more efficient. Category theory for mathematics, UML for programming, knowledge graphs for basic facts, system models instead of equations, ...

I wish I could draw better to make this happen more often.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I didn't have one as a kid, and can understand what Electronvolt describes pretty well. I do both inner monologs and the "just knowing intuitively" stuff quite evenly. I developed inner monologue when I was in my early teens. I am not sure if that is just how it develops or something triggered it. Now-a-days, I have an almost non stop inner monologue, that I cannot really turn off. I have a really overactive imagination and tend to hyper fixate on things constantly as well. When I am monologuing, I also tend to picture people talking to me in my minds eye, and I have a "conversation" with them. Either debating them, or discussing topics with them. Or sometimes I imagine myself presenting a speech to an invisible audience, and I can infer how that audience might react based on some sort of processing that goes on when I imagine that. Doing these kinds of things helps me understand what I want to say to people in the real world.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm always talking internally to myself.

My issue has always been with existing unconsciously / living from the gut, instinctively.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I actually usually have inner dialogue. I imagine there’s two of me and we have conversations and argue about things. I have thought like this my whole life and didn’t consider it weird until a friend of my told me it was. Well, I know it’s just me really and there’s no other person there, I just work in dialogues and I know the other person replying to me is still me, just a very different part of me and it helps to imagine it is a different person I actually have a conversation with. We have the most exciting ones!

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
We talk with ourselves. As a coalition of personas with one vessel between them...its necessary to communicate.

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
I don't have an inner monologue in the sense of words. My mind is always buzzing, just not with words or any language. It's more of images, impressions, notions, concepts. You know that feeling when you are asked to define a word and you know what it means but you can't explain it in language? There's a concept that exists in your mind, that you understand, that is real, but that you aren't quite translating into words.

I've had this conversation before. The way I explain it to people who don't do it is ... pictures, for example. Street signs.
anBn.png

You know what this is. Yet, this is not a word. Now imagine a constant stream of more abstract forms of this, made-up and hyper-individualised. I have to translate them to actual language to communicate them. I already have the notion, the information, the topic, just not in English. Or any language. Thinking this way is faster than "spoken" language and more native and comfortable to me. (Seeing a "U-Turn" sign is faster than actually physically (or even mentally) pronouncing the syllables of the word, "U-Turn").

Tiny extra. Something that's boggled me to discover is that some people apparently do not, and cannot "hear" voices in their head. They can't replay a song, or replay a person's voice, or "hear" made-up lines with a person's voice. Utterly boggling to me.
The original article where I read was in a reddit thread saying that news prove most people are dumb using that they don't have an inner monologue as an argument.
You have now convinced me otherwise (that probably has nothing to do with intellligence).

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The original article where I read was in a reddit thread saying that news prove most people are dumb using that they don't have an inner monologue as an argument.
You have now convinced me otherwise (that probably has nothing to do with intellligence).

I can imagine someone with an inner (linguistic) monologue having a simplistic idea of people who think in pictures, concepts, etc- since they can't, so to them other people must be the same. That it is fuzzy and limited. Easy to have that knee-jerk reaction, especially if the person was prone to wanting to make themselves feel more intelligent anyway.

If someone seems to be incapable of something that "everybody else" seems to do, yet seems otherwise well-adjusted and well-functioning- one needs to first investigate how and why. Humans are very malleable, very strong. People overcome and find innovative ways to solve problems. Just because you can't see the solution (thinking in pictures instead of words, say), it doesn't mean it's not there. Writing it off with quick conclusions is not only unscientific, but an fool's strategy.

And, as always, comparing people, especially in international d*ck-measuring contests skews the study. It stems from a preconceived idea of what the result may be (that they are better somehow). They cherrypick results that feed into that idea. Nothing new.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I’ve been busy, but I appreciate people’s responses. I usually have a running monologue/think in words, but I also have more conceptual thinking mixed in as well. There’s always a lag of sorts when I do have to translate those things to speech in the moment.

I figured we’re all a mixed bag most likely, with different concentrations of verbal vs conceptual. It just surprised me that some people don’t think in words at all, ever.

I was reading that some also can’t picture things, which is a form of aphantasia. I wonder if those on the more extreme end, who don’t think in words ever, also experience this...