• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Terminator Genisys Goes Down....

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah. Kind of flatlining on RT and there's many more crappy reviews where this one came from...
Review: 'Terminator Genisys' Makes 'Terminator Salvation' Look Like 'Terminator 2: Judgment Day' - Forbes

Terminator Genisys is a film that spends much of its 125-minute running time straining to justify its existence and justify the extension of the brand. It is less a movie than a full-length commercial for the potential of ongoing Terminator movies that use the concept of time travel to keep itself alive well past the point of expiration. And it is clearer now than ever that this is a series that belongs in the past. ...This limp and discombobulated reboot/sequel/side-quel clings to the memory of the first film, slavishly recreating the narrative of the first film and then the structure of the second, offering little-to-nothing that we haven’t seen before and presenting it in a visually drab and emotionally vacant fashion....

I had that feeling with the first infantile photo campaign and then the spoiler-laden trailers.

And who is casting Jai Courtney in stuff, especially as Kyle Reese? Talk about a miscast. He doesn't fit the established character, and he's really uninteresting to watch. (I think the only time I found him palatable was as the jerk in Divergent, and there we had just the "right amount" of him.) It makes you wonder who is pulling the strings behind the scenes, to divvy up roles like this.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Even if the trailer hadn't been horrible, I still wouldn't have had any desire to see it, solely on the basis of their spelling of "genisys". I mean, really.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Even if the trailer hadn't been horrible, I still wouldn't have had any desire to see it, solely on the basis of their spelling of "genisys". I mean, really.

The whole thing smacked of a junior-high marketing campaign looking for a movie.
I'm surprised they didn't use "Robot Comic Sans" as a typeface.

---

I'm big on the first two (Cameron's contributions).
I think I saw T2 on a Thursday opening night, which at the time was new and different.
At the time, the new morphing software was badass and like nothing we'd seen before.

I laughed through much of the third (although the last five minutes was cool).

I actually liked Salvation, but it felt more like a side-movie.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Fuck this shit. What we need is a proper conclusion to the Sarah Connor Chronicles.

FWIW, I quite enjoyed T3 (for what it was)

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Seriously, though, didn't anyone tell them that "cleverly" changing the spelling of words in movie titles is so 2002?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Fuck this shit. What we need is a proper conclusion to the Sarah Connor Chronicles.

yeah, I need to watch that. I heard it was decent.
And Lena Headey. Who woulda thunk?

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Only the first two movies are canon, imho. The films afterwards I want to shoot out of a cannon.

(pass me another barrel, I'm scraping this one)

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Only the first two movies are canon, imho. The films afterwards I want to shoot out of a cannon.

(pass me another barrel, I'm scraping this one)

Nice play on words :wink:

I include T3 in the canon. Salvation feels more like a very high-budget fan film.

I think Sarah Connor chronicles may have fit somewhere in the continuity had the show been given a proper end to help tie it to the films, but its ending was very ambiguous and left too many loose ends and contradictions.

Being time travel films, many of the continuity errors are explainable, since it's difficult to place the films in a straight timeline.

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Nice play on words :wink:

I include T3 in the canon. Salvation feels more like a very high-budget fan film.

I think Sarah Connor chronicles may have fit somewhere in the continuity had the show been given a proper end to help tie it to the films, but its ending was very ambiguous and left too many loose ends and contradictions.

Being time travel films, many of the continuity errors are explainable, since it's difficult to place the films in a straight timeline.

I used to watch Sarah Connor Chronicles but I was too busy to get to watch all of them.

The thing is though, I'm getting bored of retconning stuff with time travel, it feels like a copout to deal with continuity issues and start with a clean slate. Star Trek did it well but it doesn't mean I was overly happy with it.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I used to watch Sarah Connor Chronicles but I was too busy to get to watch all of them.

The thing is though, I'm getting bored of retconning stuff with time travel, it feels like a copout to deal with continuity issues and start with a clean slate. Star Trek did it well but it doesn't mean I was overly happy with it.

I dislike it when it's done lazily.

My only issue with the Star Trek retconn (I'm assuming you were referencing the Abrams films) is that no one made a great effort to fix the timeline, despite the massive damage done (Vulcan destroyed, hundreds to thousands of starfleet officers killed by Nero, etc)...Obviously doing so would mean no more reboot timeline, but in the context of the fictional universe, no one lifting a finger to rectify things seems very off. Where were the Temporal Prime Directive enforcers from the future seen in DS9 and Voyager? Why didn't Old Spock make a single effort to fix the timeline or enlist new Kirk and new Spock to help fix things? Why didn't the Enterprise E come barrelling through the wormhole right after Nero to prevent any major damage? These are questions that could've been addressed with more clever screenwriting, and it probably could've been done in a manner to not overload newcomer fans with a lot of heavy technobabble and references to canon that they might not understand.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Only T1 and T2 are real. The movies that came afterward are not history and should be ignored.

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I just feel like Terminator has run out of gas. There's no more juice in there. How many damn times can they keep sending robots back in time?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think the strategy is to drive humanity to be so sick of another Terminator movie that we just give up and let the machines win. (Sneaky little buggers.)

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think the strategy is to drive humanity to be so sick of another Terminator movie that we just give up and let the machines win. (Sneaky little buggers.)
I thought they already did that with the Transformers movies.

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Apparently not, because everyone keeps going to see them.

Maybe the next one will transform into a good movie.

StatlerandWaldorf(2).JPG

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
To be honest, it did pretty much the opposite for me despite their intentions, making me less inclined to to go see it.

I felt exactly the same as you. My excitement dropped from 'moderately hopeful' to 'seriously, this sucks' in the exact length of time it took to watch that trailer. Actually, I've never watched a trailer before that spoiled the movie to such an extent that I've nearly lost interest in going to see it.

And this: "I think they felt they had to do something game-changing in how the film was being perceived."
I thought - and that's the best they could come up with??? Wow, disappointing.