• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Stereotyping

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
She may have. But considering MBTI isn't considered a science...I doubt it.

There are lots of studies correlating the MBTI types to various things. If these studies do not count as scientific evidence to you, then what kind of scientific evidence are you looking for?

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
when ever i see this thread, i think "I wish someone would draw a picture of a stereo typing"

5c3d342b-174c-4900-8c48-d3cfd8372b84_zpsod3huazz.jpg

* Not drawn by me :)

Starry

There are lots of studies correlating the MBTI types to various things. If these studies do not count as scientific evidence to you, then what kind of scientific evidence are you looking for?

I work in science strychnine and have read many professional/social scientific journal articles on the MBTI. And know, just like every other person that understands the limitations of social scientific research...there are NO FACTS. You can not say that it is a fact that NFs have the highest suicide rate...and if you think otherwise...and it appears you do...you are making a fool of yourself.

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
I work in science strychnine and have read many professional/social scientific journal articles on the MBTI. And know, just like every other person that understands the limitations of social scientific research...there are NO FACTS. You can not say that it is a fact that NFs have the highest suicide rate...and if you think otherwise...and it appears you do...you are making a fool of yourself.

LOL. You asked for a scientific study. Now you're saying that doesn't count as a fact. Keep moving the goalposts. It's just the usual dishonest bullshit from you. Goodbye.

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
IDK
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have high Fe, and I ain't a doormat.

Nor do I help anyone I see, nor want to.

Starry

LOL. You asked for a scientific study. Now you're saying that doesn't count as a fact. Keep moving the goalposts.

Um...no. I gave you an opportunity to prove me wrong. It appears you were unable to do so. Perhaps it's best if you stay in the psychospiritual realm.

It's just the usual dishonest bullshit from you.

Hint: you don't even know me.

you will need the last word so I'll wait for it...

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Stereotypes like that lose steam as people meet more and more intelligent sensors. Of course it won't work if people don't know you are a sensor. They will just assume you are an intuitive because you are intelligent, and the stereotype will persist.

you made a good point, so I completed my type field :)

Kelly777

MBTI Type
Infj
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Wolfnara;
I've actually been studying mbti for quite a while, about ten years. I agree about it being a mistake to oversimplify. As I said, these sites don't go into enough detail about the different stages types go through, the fact that we all have every function to greater or lesser degrees, and also you can't jump to conclusions about what's going with someone with a few interactions. For example, I'm trying to learn to be more open and true to myself at the moment. Not very INFJ like. And it's hard for me. But when you go on one of these forums people start trying to figure out if you've typed yourself correctly or making judgements about types. I can understand that is annoying. It happens to me too. Especially if you claim to be an INFJ. OMG, here come the INFJ police! Maybe that's where some of these over reactions are coming from.

I do think socialization affects personality. But you should look into studies about 2:d 4:d ratio. I would provide a link but I don't know how. My generation didn't grow up with the gadgets that yours did ;) I know from personal experience that every attempt was made to force me to hate getting dirty and playing with boys. I was expected to be a housewife and want no education or career. Socialization failed. I am what I am.

I still think it would be nice if people weren't jumped on for sharing their opinions on here. And you have to be able to have a conversation about traits or typing loses all value, in my opinion.

Kelly777

MBTI Type
Infj
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
People have a problem with me typing as an ISFJ because I have "strong personal values" and apparently only Fi users are allowed to have that. :shrug:

Also, no one wants to type as an SJ because they all have sticks up their asses and are ultra-conservative and have robot hive minds.

Well, I'm going to suggest that the people voicing these opinions are very immature. They might also be frustrated in relationships with sj's because they haven't learned how to appreciate and get along with types that are different than they are.
My mom is an istj. We didn't get each other when I was growing up. But I've come to really value her at my age. I think my son might have a similar type. I adore him. He is steady and loving, detail oriented, generous. Just wonderful.

Kelly777

MBTI Type
Infj
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
one of the reasons that I don't put a type down (other than not really being sure of a type for sure) is because I got tired of getting comments like "you're so smart for a sensor!" and shit like that which needs to die in a fire

THAT is one of the major reasons that I'm very against stereotyping in personality theory, because a lot of it is just flat out wrong :thumbdown:

Well, again, you've probably dealt with some immature people. It's another case of oversimplification. It makes sense that if an I.Q. test, which I read somewhere was created by an intuitive, measures abstract thinking, primarily, that intuitives might have somewhat of an advantage. That doesn't make them smarter. Not all intuitives are going to score higher than all sensors and that is only one of many kinds of intelligence. People acting like this are probably using the strengths of their type to prop up their egos. So, I can understand being offended at that stereotype. But if I say that I'm an INFJ and by golly, I do enjoy writing I get verbally attacked for stereotyping? That's stupid. It just happens to be a typical trait that I do identify in myself. I'm not saying all INFJ's will have the same experience. I think there are just a lot of immature people online.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
when ever i see this thread, i think "I wish someone would draw a picture of a stereo typing"
No, no - that isn't what stereotyping is. Stereotyping is one person typing on two separate keyboards/computers at the same time, one hand on each. The documents generated in this manner must be merged to get the full content.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
I will speak for the SJs because that is what I feel most capable of arguing for.

Because Si is about preserving what one knows, it is often mistaken as pure "tradition" from the era in which MBTI was created (not sure of the exact year, but I think it was the 50s). So we have the submissive homemaker who lives to please. But that isn't how young people today are, generally. Nobody identifies with that. So, with a superficial knowledge of type theory, they steer clear of that typing. I can speculate that this might be a reason we don't see many SJs, especially ESxJs, on the internet. Because they all think they're something else.

This is also why everyone thinks their annoying great-aunt is an SFJ. SFJs are the only ones who can be homemakers and NPs are the only ones who can be oddball revolutionaries. Honestly, though--whose great-aunt is going to wear Converse and flower crowns? Whose 50-year-old mother is going to take black & white pictures of herself with mascara running down her face? Nobody's. Using stereotypes, it's nearly impossible for anyone over a certain age to be anything but SJ. I bet there are plenty of INFP grandmothers who stereotype as ESFJs, and plenty of ESFJ youth who stereotype as INFPs.

I am very personally annoyed by this stereotyping because my type tends to get the worst rap. Seriously. Nobody wants to be an ESFJ. Because they're always boring, unoriginal, always happy, and always confident. The truth of the matter is that everybody feels different and weird. Everybody feels hurt and alone at some point. So they all scramble for INFP and INFJ because those are the only types "allowed" to feel that way. It's very sad.

I kind of rambled here. In essence, stereotypes are misleading and almost sure ways for mistyping.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
P.S. Forgive me, but I find people who are brave enough to list an "undesirable" type (ESFP, ESFJ, etc.) much more special and unique than your run-of-the-mill internet INFP 4. Sorry not sorry.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
No, no - that isn't what stereotyping is. Stereotyping is one person typing on two separate keyboards/computers at the same time, one hand on each. The documents generated in this manner must be merged to get the full content.

but that is not stereo typing

Duffy

This is also why everyone thinks their annoying great-aunt is an SFJ. SFJs are the only ones who can be homemakers and NPs are the only ones who can be oddball revolutionaries. Honestly, though--whose great-aunt is going to wear Converse and flower crowns? Whose 50-year-old mother is going to take black & white pictures of herself with mascara running down her face? Nobody's. Using stereotypes, it's nearly impossible for anyone over a certain age to be anything but SJ. I bet there are plenty of INFP grandmothers who stereotype as ESFJs, and plenty of ESFJ youth who stereotype as INFPs.

I am very personally annoyed by this stereotyping because my type tends to get the worst rap. Seriously. Nobody wants to be an ESFJ. Because they're always boring, unoriginal, always happy, and always confident. The truth of the matter is that everybody feels different and weird. Everybody feels hurt and alone at some point. So they all scramble for INFP and INFJ because those are the only types "allowed" to feel that way. It's very sad.

I think there may be some bitterness from intuitive types and they take it out online, fairly or not, on sensor types. My grandma is an INFP e9, whose 9-ness gives her a sort of homebody vibe, but she's not SJ, too otherwordly, too much of a tendency to inadvertently step on protocol, despite sharing some generational values. I was raised by SFJ mom, and can understand some of bias and stereotype going on (unoriginal, always happy, typical caregiver). It's not that those things are right or so wrong, but no one elaborates on why that is in the first place. In my own case, my mom's not always happy, but she tries to be, puts on a mask. She's not necessarily unoriginal, she's just hyper aware of expectations and social standings, and she adjusts accordingly. Those are all superego elements btw. I think I can see where she's coming from, but rather adjust accordingly, I just say one thing and do another, so as to get people off my back, the proverbial head fake. Or just feign indifference.