• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Roseanne Cancelled because of tweet

Deprecator

Roseanne's defense was she thought Jarrett was a white lady.
Yep... this is actually a pretty solid defense because according to liberal ideology, it's only okay to make 'ape' comments about white people. For an example, Gareth Bale (featured below) has been readily featured in sports magazines as "looking like an ape". But try making a similar comparison with a non-white or indigenous person and oh boy... all hell suddenly breaks lose.

lookalikes-van-bale.jpg

And of course, I wouldn't want to be the one who had to explain this complex and intricate social dynamic to a 13-year-old girl. According to the Herald Sun:

"SWANS champion Adam Goodes says he is "gutted" and couldn't celebrate Sydney's win last night after a 13-year-old girl called him an ape."

"To hear a 13-year-old girl call me an ape ... it was shattering," Goodes said.

"Racism has a face. It's a 13-year-old girl."

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yep... this is actually a pretty solid defense because according to liberal ideology, it's only okay to make 'ape' comments about white people. For an example, Gareth Bale (featured below) has been readily featured in sports magazines as "looking like an ape". But try making a similar comparison with a non-white or indigenous person and oh boy... all hell suddenly breaks lose.

lookalikes-van-bale.jpg

And of course, I wouldn't want to be the one who had to explain this complex and intricate social dynamic to a 13-year-old girl. According to the Herald Sun:

"SWANS champion Adam Goodes says he is "gutted" and couldn't celebrate Sydney's win last night after a 13-year-old girl called him an ape."

"To hear a 13-year-old girl call me an ape ... it was shattering," Goodes said.

"Racism has a face. It's a 13-year-old girl."

Bush or Chimp

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What makes me uncomfortable is that what we're essentially talking about is big business, consumerism and "voting" with your dollar. This says two things to me:

BAD: the dollar trumps values, I have zero doubt in my mind that if Disney/ABC could make more money by throwing in with the Alt-Right, they would.

GOOD: Multiculturalism is where the $$$ is at.

All in all, I suppose that makes for a bright-ish future in my mind.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
What makes me uncomfortable is that what we're essentially talking about is big business, consumerism and "voting" with your dollar. This says two things to me:

BAD: the dollar trumps values, I have zero doubt in my mind that if Disney/ABC could make more money by throwing in with the Alt-Right, they would.

GOOD: Multiculturalism is where the $$$ are at.

They would. Because Make American Great Again only applies to corporate America and how much they can profit off the true believers.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
They would. Because Make American Great Again only applies to corporate America.

Ultimately, yeah. And I honestly don't think White Nationalist America and Corporate America's goals are ultimately in line, somebody's going to get thrown under the bus. And it's easy to see who's going to lose there. And, of course, everybody will still be left with the whole jobs/health care/wage problems. But that was always the fight.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

GOOD: Multiculturalism is where the $$$ is at.

Disney really isn't all that indifferent to what they promote, imo. They want to influence, control and create culture, not to be overrun by it, particularly the alt-right.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Disney really isn't all that indifferent to what they promote, imo. They want to influence, control and create culture, not to be overrun by it, particularly the alt-right.

Yes, exactly, it's not because of "values" or "belief", it's about bottom line. And they want to drive it. Hence, me being both uncomfortable with the motivation, but more comfortable with the direction. At least where the whole White Nationalism subject sits.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
cosby commited a criminal offense and was dealt with appropriately... roseanne expressed her (stupid) views legally and on her own time... those are drastically different... it isn't about being so good that she can be racist... it isn't about saying that i think she had a reasonable opinion...

there being precedence for this happening isn't relevant... regardless of wether it is a high or low profile instance of this, it is wrong... it would have been wrong two hundred and fifty years ago to fire someone for opposing slavery at a tavern (off work)... it is wrong to fire people for expressing themselves on their own time regardless of how deplorable they may seem to us... she could say she thought we should castrate half of all men because they are literally all child rapists, and still be able to go to work... the point (to me) isn't what was said... she could say she thought hillary clinton was a five headed dragon masquerading as a drag queen... she would still sound like an idiot, and should still be able to go to work... it isn't about rascism being excusable; it is about it being unrelated to her ability to effectively perform her job...

My point about Bill Cosby is that people were actively defending him specifically because he was talented.

A celebrity's image is a part of their job. Actions have consequences regardless if you're clocked in. I don't have more of a response for the other part of your post because I don't appreciate her tweet being brought to the same level as just some bad opinion. The refusal to make the distinction makes me uncomfortable.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My point about Bill Cosby is that people were actively defending him specifically because he was talented.

A celebrity's image is a part of their job. Actions have consequences regardless if you're clocked in. I don't have more of a response for the other part of your post because I don't appreciate her tweet being brought to the same level as just some bad opinion. The refusal to make the distinction makes me uncomfortable.

There's really no debating with willful/strategic ignorance.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yes, exactly, it's not because of "values" or "belief", it's about bottom line. And they want to drive it. Hence, me being both uncomfortable with the motivation, but more comfortable with the direction. At least where the whole White Nationalism subject sits.

Disney does stuff like this - Pink Slips at Disney. But First, Training Foreign Replacements. - The New York Times. That's why I don't believe that Disney is aligned with white nationalist anything. It's about the bottom line, but these guys just want money for power and influence, not the money for itself. They're getting nervous because they're not the biggest game in town anymore. Netflix is worth more than Disney. So out of desperation, they put Roseanne on. They hated the show because it opposed their values. That's why it got canceled so fast.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Disney does stuff like this - Pink Slips at Disney. But First, Training Foreign Replacements. - The New York Times. That's why I don't believe that Disney is aligned with white nationalist anything. It's about the bottom line, but these guys just want money for power and influence, not the money for itself. They're getting nervous because they're not the biggest game in town anymore. Netflix is worth more than Disney. So out of desperation, they put Roseanne on. They hated the show because it opposed their values. That's why it got canceled so fast.

Disney's not even close to being challenged by Netflix. The dudes are waay on top. Think Marvel, Star Wars, Muppets, Pixar, everything ever on ABC, and of course Disney as IP. There's no desperation, just a juggernaut knowing what they're doing. But yeah, they're a global company, only headquartered in the US. As with most big companies, there's no desire for "America First".

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

i don't know what other term to choose that shows an idea departs from my view of reality... it is an opinion, it is faulty, and is bad... if someone says god is a spaghetti monster, dogs can't look up, or that gravity is a result of invisible rubber bands, i would label those as bad opinions also... i don't see how my choice of words is offensive... what distinction do you feel that i ought to make?

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Disney's not even close to being challenged by Netflix. The dudes are waay on top. Think Marvel, Star Wars, Muppets, Pixar, everything ever on ABC, and of course Disney as IP. There's no desperation, just a juggernaut knowing what they're doing. But yeah, they're a global company, only headquartered in the US. As with most big companies, there's no desire for "America First".

Okay, we agree. That's nice.

They're at least challenged.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/dbloom...market-capitalization-valuation/#2838ebf91561.

Is Netflix Really Worth More Than Disney Or Comcast?

As of late this week, Netflix NFLX +2.18% was worth more, by market capitalization at least, than Disney or Comcast CMCSA +0.21%. For the rest of Memorial Day weekend at least, Netflix remains the world's most highly valued media and entertainment company.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
i don't know what other term to choose that shows an idea departs from my view of reality... it is an opinion, it is faulty, and is bad... if someone says god is a spaghetti monster, dogs can't look up, or that gravity is a result of invisible rubber bands, i would label those as bad opinions also... i don't see how my choice of words is offensive... what distinction do you feel that i ought to make?

When someone says that gravity is due to invisible rubber bands, they are saying that this is how the world works. They aren't stating that as an opinion, they are stating that as a fact. When someone says that white people are superior to black people, they aren't saying that as an opinion, they are saying that as a fact.

Racism isn't opinion. It's the acceptance of falsehood and prejudice as fact. And not only is that acceptance wrong, it's harmful. That's the distinction I would like you to make, because not making the distinction implies that it isn't harmful, that it isn't truly bad, and that it isn't deserving of consequence.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When someone says that gravity is due to invisible rubber bands, they are saying that this is how the world works. They aren't stating that as an opinion, they are stating that as a fact. When someone says that white people are superior to black people, they aren't saying that as an opinion, they are saying that as a fact.

Racism isn't opinion. It's the acceptance of falsehood and prejudice as fact. And not only is that acceptance wrong, it's harmful. That's the distinction I would like you to make, because not making the distinction implies that it isn't harmful, that it isn't truly bad, and that it isn't deserving of consequence.

i don't feel that in her case, that it was the correct consequence... i included the example of gravity for that reason (it being how the world works)... when someone states an opinion as a fact, it doesn't change from being an opinion to a new cattegory... the very nature of the word opinion demonstrates a distinction from being a fact... i think you merely misunderstood me on that particular point... i think racism is a dangerous opinion (on many levels), and that overtime it will fade away due to active and passive forces... i think that there may not be enough deterents to expressing racism, but that this isn't a productive or fair means to bring about change... hopefully this clears things up...

post script:

i think in many ways that racism is comparable to mental illness, and i don't feel that we should deprive the mentally ill (or a racist) of the ability to secure an income if they are competent...

post post script:

roseanne appears to be both (mentally ill and racist)...

Crabs

Permabanned
It's all free speech, no matter how disgusting or offensive. But how ABC and the NFL decides to handle either case is entirely up to them. I don't think ABC is in the wrong cancelling her show.

Agreed

This. It's two completely different affairs. The only thing connecting these two events is that they are both part of an ongoing public debate about modern day racism.

No. It's also about how a private company should handle the conduct of its employees if it affects their bottom line, whether it's on or off the clock.

And yes, she is a public figure so she is absolutely a representation of the company's values.

The same is true for NFL players. They're not just representing themselves, but their teams and the league itself. That's why the commissioner had to put his foot down.

Crabs

Permabanned
Maybe Roseanne's twitter was hacked by Russian trolls. The FBI should investigate this.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Real irony, despite her off-camera politics, the show seemed to be making genuine attempts at bridging some cultural gaps, healing some political wounds left open after trump's election, for instance in the episode when they meet their Muslim neighbors and become friendly, and when Roseanne tells off the prejudiced checkout girl at the supermarket for making racist comments to the Muslim wife.
That is why I think the show should continue. Sure - it wouldn't be the same without Roseanne herself. Perhaps it could even be better. It could certainly tackle the same issues and raise the same points. It is worth the effort. No one is indispensible.

there being precedence for this happening isn't relevant... regardless of wether it is a high or low profile instance of this, it is wrong... it would have been wrong two hundred and fifty years ago to fire someone for opposing slavery at a tavern (off work)... it is wrong to fire people for expressing themselves on their own time regardless of how deplorable they may seem to us... she could say she thought we should castrate half of all men because they are literally all child rapists, and still be able to go to work... the point (to me) isn't what was said... she could say she thought hillary clinton was a five headed dragon masquerading as a drag queen... she would still sound like an idiot, and should still be able to go to work... it isn't about rascism being excusable; it is about it being unrelated to her ability to effectively perform her job...
The difference is that Roseanne is a very public personality and readily associated with ABC and her show. By extension, the stupid, tasteless, and racist things she says will be associated with ABC as well. They are within their rights as her employer to take umbrage at that. Some unknown who spouts off online with similar comments is not immediately associated with their employer like that. I'm sure in slavery days plenty of people lost jobs for opposing slavery in their free time. Heck, in some parts of the country, whites who treated blacks fairly "off the clock" were threatened, assaulted, and/or run out of town, even after emancipation.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The difference is that Roseanne is a very public personality and readily associated with ABC and her show. By extension, the stupid, tasteless, and racist things she says will be associated with ABC as well. They are within their rights as her employer to take umbrage at that. Some unknown who spouts off online with similar comments is not immediately associated with their employer like that. I'm sure in slavery days plenty of people lost jobs for opposing slavery in their free time. Heck, in some parts of the country, whites who treated blacks fairly "off the clock" were threatened, assaulted, and/or run out of town, even after emancipation.

it happens, but i disagree with the practice...