• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Reactions to ADHD medication

Qloshae

Assassin from the future
MBTI Type
NONE
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I would like to know how someone without ADHD would react to taking ADHD medication (specifically Concerta) vs how someone with ADHD would react to it.
Even more interesting if you could answer how someone with depression and/or PTSD would react to it.

To expand further, my aunt who was a nurse (retired now) said that someone with ADHD would become calmer whereas someone who doesn't have ADHD would instead react to it by showing ADHD like symptoms.

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
To expand further, my aunt who was a nurse (retired now) said that someone with ADHD would become calmer whereas someone who doesn't have ADHD would instead react to it by showing ADHD like symptoms.

I know this is how it works with caffeine, and both caffeine and traditional ADHD meds are stimulants. FWIW, I used to take Concerta but stopped once I figured out that I could self-medicate well enough with coffee, and that coffee and Concerta didn't mix well. I was not going to stop drinking coffee.

Qloshae

Assassin from the future
MBTI Type
NONE
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I know this is how it works with caffeine, and both caffeine and traditional ADHD meds are stimulants. FWIW, I used to take Concerta but stopped once I figured out that I could self-medicate well enough with coffee, and that coffee and Concerta didn't mix well. I was not going to stop drinking coffee.

Problem in my case is rather that my ADHD symptoms can be best explained by depression and PTSD rather than ADHD, yet it's like I am immune to both those stimulants as I have taken coffee and it didn't change anything for me or even make me feel less tired and all Concerta did was to make it feel like I could sense my blood flow in my arms at 52 mg.
In fact, when I did a check up to get allowed to take driving lessons (need to do one of those if you've ever been diagnosed with ADHD, BP or any of those), I answered questions regarding ADHD symptoms to the guy examining me and he was rather perplexed as well (in the "I doubt you have ADHD" kind of way). Which is weird since I don't get hyped by ADHD medication.
Even more weird since lack of energy is often my problem. I tend to get extremely tired if I just sit and listen to someone talk unless I find it interesting; to solve it I for example needed to play games on my iPad while in lectures because otherwise I'd fall asleep and even when listening to lectures on the internet I need to play with something. Which wouldn't make sense if I was hyper-active as that would mean I had an excess of energy and not shortage.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
dunno about pstd but if you're suseceptible to psychosis adhd meds are bad news.

btw if you truly have adhd the meds are actually known to calm, while with the rest of us it hypes you up