• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Rather experiment or read?

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
You read of a concert rather than go to it?

Read that there is great love available from a partnership rather than do it?

Read that science is pretty good rather than do anything with it? For example, you might have read of something called artificial intelligence. Maybe walking robots, machine vision or autonomous vehicles.

So what is your focus on reading or experimenting, and what do you think of it? How do current psychological theories explain what you do and feel? What theories can you quote to explain the activities of people in this regard? I mean, reading and experimenting are two distinct activities, although they might be related in some ways.

Edit: I rather read reviews of concerts rather than go to concerts. In this regard I prefer reading to activity. In sports, I prefer activity to reading or looking. I don't watch any sports. I participate in sports where possible. These are examples of where I consider reading vs doing.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
experience then read while processing.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would definitely rather do/experience for myself vs read it.

For example, me going on hikes or traveling in other countries is something I greatly value and prioritize experiencing; I may read memoirs about these things, but they don't replace my doing them, nor do I 'study up' on these things prior to doing them. For me, reading and experiencing are rather distinct things with not a huge amount of crossover. As another example, with my painting, I admit my preference is experimentation and I have done very little reading/study on any of it. Study has come in the midst or after the fact, if I realize I'm not able to achieve something or can't figure out something with experimenting. This has pluses and minuses. But, I'm just mentioning my innate preference/instinct.

I actually can't even comprehend having a preference for reading about a concert rather than attending it/ listening to it / watching it!

There are some things though that I know I am physically incapable of doing, thus in that case I'd choose to read about it or view it, rather than actually doing it (assuming it's something I'm interested in or fascinated by). Also there is the factor of having limited time and choosing what to do with ones' time, so it's simply not practical to immerse oneself in everything/'do' or excel at every possible thing.

But I still enjoy reading and spend a lot of time reading. Mostly fiction, however, but there is some non-fiction mixed in on occasion. But again, this is kind of independent from 'doing'/experimenting - it's not an either/or thing for me, or 'read first then do'.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I actually can't even comprehend having a preference for reading about a concert rather than attending it/ listening to it / watching it!
I might not like it so I want to know if it's any good before going to it! If it seems pretty good I'm happy with watching it from a video. The best ones, I go to. Not many a year.

.. and, if it seems pretty good.. but I didnt have the time or other opportunity to go there.. I can read how she performed, whether the audience liked it, what songs she covered etc. And perhaps if an opportunity presents itself, I'll go to her next concert.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I might not like it so I want to know if it's any good before going to it! If it seems pretty good I'm happy with watching it from a video. The best ones, I go to. Not many a year.

Oh, I see,that makes sense. I was thinking you were saying you preferred to read vs going to see something, ie you'd be perfectly happy reading about a music concert that was amazing vs hearing it/seeing it. haha

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Edit: I rather read reviews of concerts rather than go to concerts. In this regard I prefer reading to activity. In sports, I prefer activity to reading or looking. I don't watch any sports. I participate in sports where possible. These are examples of where I consider reading vs doing.

I would rather go to a concert than read about it (I'll read reviews though)
I read about sports, watch sports and participate in sports. I can't imagine only reading about them.

I would rather experience things (that I want to experience) than read about it but I do like reading about others' experiences. Like Paul Theroux. I love his travel books and I love to travel too but I'm not taking a train through Guatemala and El Salvador and into South America like in The Old Patagonian Express (I don't have a year to spare either). He describes the places in a way I haven't read before, plus he hates the things I hate, he's grouchy in the way I would be grouchy.

Last edited:

thepink-cloakedninja

Marshmallow Heart
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Read, hands down.
I would really hate it if any of the things that happened to characters in fantasy novels happened to me, like losing loved ones, and being captured by the evil lord of doom who's going to destroy the world, or having to kill monsters, etc., etc. Riding a dragon would be awesome though! <3

Reading the textbooks is always my favorite part of classes, and I get annoyed whenever I have to do a science experiment. I mean, I'm not discovering anything new, am I? I could just youtube this exact same science experiment and watch someone else do it. It seems useless to me. Reading about science is amazing though!!!

And I'd much rather read about psychology than interact with people (unless I love them and know them really well).

Hmm, I don't read about sports or watch sports (unless you count distance running by myself or foam sword fighting), but I go to concerts and also read about concerts (historical ones, anyways, not modern ones ... modern stuff is boring).

The only psychological theory (if you can call it, that) I can come up with to explain my appreciation of reading over experiencing, is my 5 wing, because 5s like to withdraw into their minds and find out stuff whenever they feel uncomfortable, and that's basically what I do all the time. I'm usually plagued by the thought that I don't know enough to actually do anything significant, so I'm an information sponge.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Experiment, for sure. However, before I experiment with something, I'm likely to gather information on it first, in order not to throw myself into something stupid. It's always better to be informed. But when it comes to experiencing something, I'd rather experience it first-hand, rather than experience it through books or literature.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Read, hands down.
I would really hate it if any of the things that happened to characters in fantasy novels happened to me, like losing loved ones, and being captured by the evil lord of doom who's going to destroy the world, or having to kill monsters, etc., etc. Riding a dragon would be awesome though! <3

Reading the textbooks is always my favorite part of classes, and I get annoyed whenever I have to do a science experiment. I mean, I'm not discovering anything new, am I? I could just youtube this exact same science experiment and watch someone else do it. It seems useless to me. Reading about science is amazing though!!!

And I'd much rather read about psychology than interact with people (unless I love them and know them really well).

Hmm, I don't read about sports or watch sports (unless you count distance running by myself or foam sword fighting), but I go to concerts and also read about concerts (historical ones, anyways, not modern ones ... modern stuff is boring).

The only psychological theory (if you can call it, that) I can come up with to explain my appreciation of reading over experiencing, is my 5 wing, because 5s like to withdraw into their minds and find out stuff whenever they feel uncomfortable, and that's basically what I do all the time. I'm usually plagued by the thought that I don't know enough to actually do anything significant, so I'm an information sponge.

To the first paragraph, there is Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times". Noone wants to live in historically interesting times, wars, death, plague, famine, etc. Everyone prefers reading about that.;)

I think living in your head as you do is related to being EII. Weak, unvalued, extraverted sensing is closely tied in with a lack of interest in new experiences, I'm pretty sure. People who have SE as point of least resistance, I generally find to be the real "bookworms" of the socion. LII are the theorists and EIIs are the psychologists, both need to be in a comfortable environment, but the involvement with the physical world seems to end there for them.

I don't think it's really related to being a five; I have five in my tritype(I don't type by single type anymore) and I relate to having to gather information and research before doing something unkown, and not wanting to feel overwhelmed, but as an LIE, I'm certainly not disinterested in the three-dimensional physical world, quiet to the contrary.:) I personally need to experience something first-hand or I feel my knowledge is lacking.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Read, hands down.

Good point. I definitely don't want to experience everything, but I want to experience enough to create my own impression of the world.

thepink-cloakedninja

Marshmallow Heart
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
To the first paragraph, there is Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times". Noone wants to live in historically interesting times, wars, death, plague, famine, etc. Everyone prefers reading about that.;)

I think living in your head as you do is related to being EII. Weak, unvalued, extraverted sensing is closely tied in with a lack of interest in new experiences, I'm pretty sure. People who have SE as point of least resistance, I generally find to be the real "bookworms" of the socion. LII are the theorists and EIIs are the psychologists, both need to be in a comfortable environment, but the involvement with the physical world seems to end there for them.

I don't think it's really related to being a five; I have five in my tritype(I don't type by single type anymore) and I relate to having to gather information and research before doing something unkown, and not wanting to feel overwhelmed, but as an LIE, I'm certainly not disinterested in the three-dimensional physical world, quiet to the contrary.:) I personally need to experience something first-hand or I feel my knowledge is lacking.

That makes sense, but all of my fellow book-worm friends say that they would totally go live in some fantasy world in a heartbeat, and I'm the only one who's like "Yeah, Middle Earth would be cool ... but what about the orks? Or sure, traveling with The Doctor would be great, but are you sure that you're really cut out for running away from scary aliens 24/7?"

Ooh, good points, thanks!

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Read that science is pretty good rather than do anything with it? For example, you might have read of something called artificial intelligence. Maybe walking robots, machine vision or autonomous vehicles.

So what is your focus on reading or experimenting, and what do you think of it? How do current psychological theories explain what you do and feel? What theories can you quote to explain the activities of people in this regard? I mean, reading and experimenting are two distinct activities, although they might be related in some ways.

read about a concert? *yawn* what's the point if you aren't there or watching/listening?

as for science i would prefer to do both... i mean, if i was to use the scientific principle from scratch it would take ages to learn anything... the point of science is to build a body of knowledge that others are able to replicate and build on in order to better our lives and understanding of reality... that is all in theory... in reality i just read about it from time to time, and have only the most casual personal use (outside of devices built by others)... if i had more resources i think that would be different, but *shrugs* who knows...

as for sports *yawns* why would i want to watch millionaires play with their balls? it can be Okay to play some sports... i rather like soccer... i do rather like skiing, and own my own pair... i like watching some of the high speed winter olympic events, and the gymnastic summer events... i do (quite mildly) regret not getting into parkour when i was younger... i like (primarily urban) climbing quite a bit, but i haven't done anything with a harness...

as for in general, i prefer to do and read... unless (of course) doing or reading sounds dull, counterproductive, and/or otherwise problematic...

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think I would read about it, to gather more information for later practical use. Because if you read about a scientific study, it all comes together by reading more studies. Then you can apply it all together to create a combined affect.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
That makes sense, but all of my fellow book-worm friends say that they would totally go live in some fantasy world in a heartbeat, and I'm the only one who's like "Yeah, Middle Earth would be cool ... but what about the orks? Or sure, traveling with The Doctor would be great, but are you sure that you're really cut out for running away from scary aliens 24/7?"

Ooh, good points, thanks!

julesiscools

MBTI Type
ISFP

In most things I prefer to experience. I'd rather go to a concert, play a sport - or watch (even though I'm not a big fan), do an experiment as opposed to reading about these things. I also think reading - be it fictional or not - is a kind of experience in itself.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
I like both. Experience the moment, enjoy the novelization later. I must confess even though the danger is real, the risk adds to the reward I suppose, but sometimes reading feels real to me too. So yes. Both.

Lia_kat

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I would definitely rather do/experience for myself vs read it.

For example, me going on hikes or traveling in other countries is something I greatly value and prioritize experiencing; I may read memoirs about these things, but they don't replace my doing them, nor do I 'study up' on these things prior to doing them. For me, reading and experiencing are rather distinct things with not a huge amount of crossover. As another example, with my painting, I admit my preference is experimentation and I have done very little reading/study on any of it. Study has come in the midst or after the fact, if I realize I'm not able to achieve something or can't figure out something with experimenting. This has pluses and minuses. But, I'm just mentioning my innate preference/instinct.

There are some things though that I know I am physically incapable of doing, thus in that case I'd choose to read about it or view it, rather than actually doing it (assuming it's something I'm interested in or fascinated by). Also there is the factor of having limited time and choosing what to do with ones' time, so it's simply not practical to immerse oneself in everything/'do' or excel at every possible thing.

But I still enjoy reading and spend a lot of time reading. Mostly fiction, however, but there is some non-fiction mixed in on occasion. But again, this is kind of independent from 'doing'/experimenting - it's not an either/or thing for me, or 'read first then do'.

All of this. :wubbie: I love doing and experimenting first.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I pretty much live in a fanasty world plus i have no hands-on-abillty (My friends joke that i would end up with metal nails on my fingers instead of normal nails if i did DIY stuff) so i would rather read as that is how i take in information and process things, i do like talking about stuff though as this is another way i learn.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7

You'd rather read than do and yet are sooo insistent that you are ENTJ? Hahaha that doesn't even sound like "E" of any kind. But sure guy, w/e you say.

As for-no, absolutely not. I almost never read .I'm an excellent reader-because my Mother used to be awesome and taught to read up to a 2nd grade lvl when I was 3-I have many books that I would like to read but every time I sit down to do so I 'm plagued by thoughts of everything I could be doing and then i have to get up and do.