• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ranking the Star Trek films

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
TOS cast films:

The Wrath of Khan
The Voyage Home
The Search for Spock
Undiscovered Country
The Motion Picture
The Final Frontier

TNG cast films:

First Contact
Insurrection
Generations
Nemesis

Kelvin timeline films:

Beyond
Star Trek
Into Darkness

Last edited:

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
These are still the ST movies I watch the most. The Final Frontier is probably one of the movies that helped shaped my perspectives on a lot of things in life. I'm a big fan of Captain Kirk mainly because of his character in the movies. The dynamics of his friendship and reliance on McCoy and Spock really comes through. Plus Scotty and McCoy What's not to love about these films? The galaxy still had a bit of that western swagger...
1:The Final Frontier
2:The Voyage Home
3:The Search for Spock
4: The Wrath of Khan
5: The Undiscovered Country
6: The Motion Picture

The NG movies are good star trek films for the most part, though story wise only First Contact really resonates with me, plus it marked the first time since the Classic ST movies that I've enjoyed the uniform aesthetics. IT was aparent that the cast had a lot of fun and good chemistry together. Some of the best humor in ST comes from these films.

1: First Contact
2: Insurrection
3: Generations
4: Nemesis

These are fun for me because the aethetics and I think good job of the actors. I think they should do more to establish it as an alternate universe though. Still Id watch more and enjoy them if they made them. Karl Urban erases a lot of cinema sins for me.
1:Beyond
2: Into Darkness
3: Star Trek

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
These are still the ST movies I watch the most. The Final Frontier is probably one of the movies that helped shaped my perspectives on a lot of things in life. I'm a big fan of Captain Kirk mainly because of his character in the movies. The dynamics of his friendship and reliance on McCoy and Spock really comes through. Plus Scotty and McCoy What's not to love about these films? The galaxy still had a bit of that western swagger...
1:The Final Frontier
2:The Voyage Home
3:The Search for Spock
4: The Wrath of Khan
5: The Undiscovered Country
6: The Motion Picture

The NG movies are good star trek films for the most part, though story wise only First Contact really resonates with me, plus it marked the first time since the Classic ST movies that I've enjoyed the uniform aesthetics. IT was aparent that the cast had a lot of fun and good chemistry together. Some of the best humor in ST comes from these films.

1: First Contact
2: Insurrection
3: Generations
4: Nemesis

These are fun for me because the aethetics and I think good job of the actors. I think they should do more to establish it as an alternate universe though. Still Id watch more and enjoy them if they made them. Karl Urban erases a lot of cinema sins for me.
1:Beyond
2: Into Darkness
3: Star Trek

I love The Final Frontier. I really do. It’s not perfect but it’s got some redeeming qualities.

I love how the main Kirk-Spock-McCoy trio interacts in a way like a callback to the original series. They do more as a trio than in any previous Trek movie. It’s a great buddy film. Some good dialogue

I like the emotional Vulcan Sybok. I think it’s an interesting aspect of Vulcans, those who reject pure logic, that has rarely been touched on in Trek.

I like the Klingons in this one. They are just one dimensional but they were more fun than the Shakespeare quoting ones

I think V and III are the most TOSiest of the original cast films

The Cat

Staff member
I love The Final Frontier. I really do. It’s not perfect but it’s got some redeeming qualities.

I love how the main Kirk-Spock-McCoy trio interacts in a way like a callback to the original series. They do more as a trio than in any previous Trek movie. It’s a great buddy film. Some good dialogue

I like the emotional Vulcan Sybok. I think it’s an interesting aspect of Vulcans, those who reject pure logic, that has rarely been touched on in Trek.

I like the Klingons in this one. They are just one dimensional but they were more fun than the Shakespeare quoting ones

The scene where Spock dresses down the Older Klingon (who I felt did a good job of showing more complexity to the society, showing most of the raiders as young hotheads out to prove themselves desperate for battle in a galaxy leaving them behind. (Plus David Warner)

It was a fantastic buddy movie, I really liked seeing the pain that drove McCoy and Spock. I enjoyed Sybok immensely.

and this scene give me chills.
This was such a powerful moment for me. McCoy has always been my most relatable Trek character.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
While First Contact is my favorite TNG film, I think Generations and Insurrection feel the most like the series

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The scene where Spock dresses down the Older Klingon (who I felt did a good job of showing more complexity to the society, showing most of the raiders as young hotheads out to prove themselves desperate for battle in a galaxy leaving them behind. (Plus David Warner)

It was a fantastic buddy movie, I really liked seeing the pain that drove McCoy and Spock. I enjoyed Sybok immensely.

and this scene give me chills.
This was such a powerful moment for me. McCoy has always been my most relatable Trek character.

Good points.

As much as I want to be Spock, I have to face the fact I’ll always be more of a Bones.

McCoy is the human anchor in that trio

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In TMP, it’s interesting to watch how Kirk’s mood and demeanor changes after McCoy arrives, and then Spock arrives.

The Cat

Staff member
While First Contact is my favorite TNG film, I think Generations and Insurrection feel the most like the series

Insurection is the funniest movie. Generations defineitly comes close with Mr Tricorder and the Lifeforms song. But Data asking Worf if he's noticed that his boobs were firming up, that moment of data's insecurity about his humanity because of the beginning of the film, and that kid getting inside his head, it was all so human, which has always been the allure of data to me, he is so very human. And any moment where Mr Worf has the socially awkward vulnerable moments is naturally cutely funny. Deep Space 9 has a lot of these really great scenes where "Worf's wide eyed silence caps off a scene. and I always imagine Worf has this really gentle insececure monolgue inside his head. similar to Jd from Scrubs but Worf.

I also like any ST where the dark side of the Federation gets brought up, cause I dont buy the paradise line

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Frankly, despite having watched/read all the STTOS episodes and recorded all of STTNG on tape, I never actually watched the final two STTNG trek films. I just did not like them that much, i was bored. So I am not sure how to comment on those. Plus it has been years since I have seen most of these films. i guess if I rewatched, the order could change.

STTOS
The Wrath of Khan
The Search for Spock
Undiscovered Country
The Voyage Home
The Motion Picture
The Final Frontier

ST Kelvin
Trek ‘09
Beyond
Into Darkness *FUCK YOU ABRAMS

Not ranking the STTNG films since I've only seen two... like, uh, 20 years ago?

I also like any ST where the dark side of the Federation gets brought up, cause I dont buy the paradise line

thumb_i-could-kill-everyone-here-ifi-wantedto-imgfip-com-star-trek-50958456.png

is that dark enough

The Cat

Staff member
In TMP, it’s interesting to watch how Kirk’s mood and demeanor changes after McCoy arrives, and then Spock arrives.

Best scene ever. This is totally how I respond to this kind of thing.

The Cat

Staff member
I wonder if its a Scottish thing...

The Cat

Staff member
Frankly, despite having watched/read all the STTOS episodes and recorded all of STTNG on tape, I never actually watched the final two STTNG trek films. I just did not like them that much, i was bored. So I am not sure how to comment on those. Plus it has been years since I have seen most of these films. i guess if I rewatched, the order could change.

STTOS
The Wrath of Khan
The Search for Spock
Undiscovered Country
The Voyage Home
The Motion Picture
The Final Frontier

ST Kelvin
Trek ‘09
Beyond
Into Darkness *FUCK YOU ABRAMS

Not ranking the STTNG films since I've only seen two... like, uh, 20 years ago?

thumb_i-could-kill-everyone-here-ifi-wantedto-imgfip-com-star-trek-50958456.png

is that dark enough

I would love two Star Trek series set in the original universe. A Maquis series. and Section 31.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Nice to see Search for Spock getting some love.

Christopher Lloyd really chews on the scenery. Some of Shatner’s “most human” acting too. He’s actually not bad when a strong director like Meyers or Nimoy is working with him

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My main gripe with the TNG films (excluding generations) is how Picard is almost a different person than in the series

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Nice to see Search for Spock getting some love.

And here I thought I was just being sentimental. :smile:

Christopher Lloyd really chews on the scenery. Some of Shatner’s “most human” acting too. He’s actually not bad when a strong director like Meyers or Nimoy is working with him

yeah, i thought they were both great. And there's the whole pathos issue with his son. I am also probably one of the few people that preferred Robin Curtis as Saavik, though. (I just really hate Kirstie Alley as an actress, she bores me to tears.) I love how the Klingons just coldly murder a captive.

I actually saw that film in the theater. I thought the ship heist was hilarious and perfect; and I was stunned and heartbroken watching how it ends up. It was a film that was not afraid to generate real losses.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Expert in a Dying Field
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I really liked Beyond, considering

I like Beyond better than the 2009 film. I was actually surprised by how much I liked it; I did not view it in the theaters.

Into Darkness would have worked way better if he really wasn't Khan (Cumberbatch doesn't even look a god damn thing like Ricardo Montalban). Just make him somebody else from the Eugenics Wars and you can mention Khan in dialogue or something when explaining where he comes from.

I haven't watched 4 or 5 in their entirety yet, nor 9 or 10. I saw 6 in theaters when I was, well, 6, and have only seen bits and pieces since then. So I can't really rank the TOS or TNG films.

But yeah, for the Kelvin timeline, I think it's probably Beyond, Star Trek, then Into Darkness.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^ beyond worked for me because I could almost imagine it as a prime timeline adventure of the TOS crew. I’m actually a bit disappointed there probably won’t be more Kelvin timeline movies. It was a good popcorn movie

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Expert in a Dying Field
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ beyond worked for me because I could almost imagine it as a prime timeline adventure of the TOS crew. I’m actually a bit disappointed there probably won’t be more Kelvin timeline movies. It was a good popcorn movie

I didn't really expect much out of a movie from the Fast and the Furious guy but I was pleasantly surprised.

Edit: Oh, I do like TMP more than a lot of people. It's proto-Next Generation in a lot of ways, especially when you factor in the behind the scenes aspects of the movie. It drags somewhat in spots, but I really did get a sense of wonder from the movie.