• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Star Trek thoughts

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
fuck yeah willy wonka babies.... just what I always wanted. I loved learning in the Tim Burton version that his dad was a dentist and he hated his dad so that was why he made candy, so please give me more of that. I don't watch this shit for whimsical entertainment or a sense of moral uplift or anything I might have found enjoyable about the original (that's for babies), I watch this for bogus psychology, because I am a SERIOUS ADULT. please make sure everything has an explanation that can please some dipshit on the internet that can't actually be pleased... that's the only way I can watch movies... above all, it is super important that the silly nonsense I liked as a kid is "REALISTIC" now. He can't just be a weirdo who really likes candy (that doesn't make sense!) it has to be about daddy issues damnit. I don't need lame plot devices like the sense that things are actually resolved at the end of the movie... just give me callback after callback to something I recognize please. wrapping up a story you started and brining it to an actual conclusion is for babies.

Last edited:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Now I realize that the above rant is mostly about Star Wars and Willy Wonka and not Star Trek. Apologies.

Paisley

Strolling Through The Shire
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Voyager Season 2 episode 18, Death Wish, where Q is at the end of all thoughts and there's nothing left to say in this barren wasteland with other Q's playing croquet, feels a lot like Typology Central today, compared to the early years! :ROFLMAO: Burn.

Last edited:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Voyager Season 2 episode 18, Death Wish, where Q is at the end of all thoughts and there's nothing left to say in this barren wasteland with other Q's playing croquet, feels a lot like Typology Central today, compared to the early years! :ROFLMAO: Burn.
Well, do you have any interest in a Willy Wonka prequel? I have nothing against Timothy Calumet (and he seems well cast for Paul Atreides), but this is really not a character whose origins I want explored, especially because I've gotten a taste of that with the remake and it was really dumb. The Gene WIlder one is a classic and I don't think it's possible for anyone to ever top it.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
EVIL MIRROR UNIVERSE SHATNER RETURNS FROM SPACE

_medium[1].jpeg

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Trying to finish Star Trek 5. They're trying to free the hostages in Paradise City (where the girls aren't pretty, other than that unusually perky Romulan).

You know, this is pretty faithful to a bad episode of TOS. Seeing 60 year old Shatner doing that goofy Star Trek fight choreography really brought it home for me. Minus the Uhura fan dance of course. That's uniquely stupid.

They all go crawling up the hill towards her like a crew of cartoon characters. For fucking FAN DANCING that was last sexy in the 50s. I mean Uhura's still in great shape, but fan dancing was no doubt considered quaint and folksy when that movie came out. For some reason the filmmakers ( probably just Shatner, though it is cool that he went to space) thought it would be great to have the Enterprise use the same tactics Bugs Bunny does against Elmer Fudd. It was like I was watching Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

Last edited:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Wait know he's wrestling with the cat lady, and he threw her into a pool of water and she yowled. The fight goes on for a long time, too, and I should mention that you can barely see anything.

OK, no... this is worse than the worst episode of TOS I've seen. Spock's Brain or Plato's Stepchildren has nothing on this.

Last edited:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
By the way the guy playing Sybok is actually the uncle of the Wachowskis. I wonder if they considered him to play the Architect at one point. The guy they got was pretty good, though. I actually think his performance as Sybok is fine... he's kind of giving off Santa Claus energy which I guess makes sense for what his role is. The problem is that everything else around him is dumb as hell whenever it's not just the TOS characters bantering with each other.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think Sybok was one of the more interesting movie villains
He legit believed in his cause and thought he was doing good. When confronted with the truth that he was wrong, he accepts it. That's more than lots of every day folks do.

The movie got better. I liked the chase through the Enterprise, minus Scotty hitting his head on a beam. And the whole "what does God need with a starship" stuff was enjoyable. I don't get why the Klingons changed their minds and I feel like I missed something. But then, I had an edible.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I’ve brought this up before but I’m watching my Star Trek Next Generation DVDs and Pulaski never stood a chance. Fans could likely adjust to her scrappiness with Picard but the constant putting Data down could never work. She does have some generalized arrogance but she could have been accommodated for brisk personality except for her treatment of Data. He is too beloved and pure. No one wants to see him put down. He’s a friend we would all be lucky to have. They should not have done that her character even if they were trying to recreate Bones and Spock. Data inspires more protective feelings because of getting dehumanized to threat of death and dismantling in a way that never applied to Spock.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Trying to finish Star Trek 5. They're trying to free the hostages in Paradise City (where the girls aren't pretty, other than that unusually perky Romulan).

You know, this is pretty faithful to a bad episode of TOS. Seeing 60 year old Shatner doing that goofy Star Trek fight choreography really brought it home for me. Minus the Uhura fan dance of course. That's uniquely stupid.

They all go crawling up the hill towards her like a crew of cartoon characters. For fucking FAN DANCING that was last sexy in the 50s. I mean Uhura's still in great shape, but fan dancing was no doubt considered quaint and folksy when that movie came out. For some reason the filmmakers ( probably just Shatner, though it is cool that he went to space) thought it would be great to have the Enterprise use the same tactics Bugs Bunny does against Elmer Fudd. It was like I was watching Who Framed Roger Rabbit.
If you recognize Star Trek V for the fact that it was all an excuse for director Shatner to live out his power fantasies on screen, then it kinda makes sense. The whole movie seems written and filmed in a way to make Kirk look completely infallible and badass and the other cast members like dopes. It's all about him looking good, even at the expense of other characters' development or believability.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I’ve brought this up before but I’m watching my Star Trek Next Generation DVDs and Pulaski never stood a chance. Fans could likely adjust to her scrappiness with Picard but the constant putting Data down could never work. She does have some generalized arrogance but she could have been accommodated for brisk personality except for her treatment of Data. He is too beloved and pure. No one wants to see him put down. He’s a friend we would all be lucky to have. They should not have done that her character even if they were trying to recreate Bones and Spock. Data inspires more protective feelings because of getting dehumanized to threat of death and dismantling in a way that never applied to Spock.
I wouldn't mind her if they hadn't tried so hard to make her Bones 2.0. I liked her interactions with Picard. There wasn't friendship, but there was a strong mutual respect--I like that she wasn;t intimidated by him and spoke her mind. That was a great contrast to the other characters who seemed afraid of Picard.

I think if she's continued on past a single season, she'd probably be more highly regarded now. Hopefully had she continued, the writers would've toned down the Boneseyness and given her more interesting stories and arcs.

But overall, not a great fit, and I think a character like hers would've fit in more seamless on something like DS9. It's a shame Diana Muldaur had a bad experience and swore off trek afterwards, because I'd have at least like to have seen a future cameo by her as head of starfleet medical or Julian Bashir's mentor or something.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Yeah, I didn't care for her for precisely that reason. Bones even gets on my nerves sometimes.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If you recognize Star Trek V for the fact that it was all an excuse for director Shatner to live out his power fantasies on screen, then it kinda makes sense. The whole movie seems written and filmed in a way to make Kirk look completely infallible and badass and the other cast members like dopes. It's all about him looking good, even at the expense of other characters' development or believability.

No, I got that. There's shit in there though that's just bizarre even given that. Like the Bugs Bunny fan dance Uhura gives and the cat wrestling. Seriously, this cat alien gets a *lot* of screen time. It's like some weird precursor to the 2020 Cats movie.

I think the idea for Star Trek V is actually really good, but the problem. alas, is in the execution, much like the Star Wars prequels, although at least those give us more to look at.