• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Popular Sovereignty

Fixing democratic leadership will require...

• More Participation

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Less Participation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Its about right already (participation is not the issue/important)

• None of the above (please elaborate in post)

• Total voters

Lark

How to solve the problem of democratic leadership degenerating into a form of reality TV trivialization and travesty?

Is it more or less or about the same as at present level of participation required from the citizenry?

Do you believe in limited democracy or participatory democracy? Why do you have a preference for one rather than the other?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I am from the backwards country where this doesn't really pass as ideology. There were some attempts but that didn't really work except on a very limited groups of people. Especially since we still generally believe in competency as important political factor. Plus social networks aren't that big part of official medial space, especially outside of election campaigns and "Merry Christmas" style messages.

On the other hand if you don't like reality TV style politics the most logical course is going politically after producers of reality TV that are generating the mindset. After all the effects of consuming it don't seem to be that different that doing drugs.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
I am from the backwards country where this doesn't really pass as ideology. There were some attempts but that didn't really work except on a very limited groups of people. Especially since we still generally believe in competency as important political factor. Plus social networks aren't that big part of official medial space, especially outside of election campaigns and "Merry Christmas" style messages.

On the other hand if you don't like reality TV style politics the most logical course is going politically after producers of reality TV that are generating the mindset. After all the effects of consuming it don't seem to be that different that doing drugs.

Sometimes I rather suspect over here that life imitates "art" :shrug:

The Cat

Staff member
Is this clumsy English or I am missing the conclusion of the thought ?

I don't know did you have your glove up? Or did you not take the right run at Albuquerque? Where did you get lost at?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I don't know did you have your glove up? Or did you not take the right run at Albuquerque? Where did you get lost at?

Well, it is kinda strange order of words.

Plus calling reality TV "art" even in not too literal is still kinda wrong in my book. Or you are thinking about something that wasn't mentioned ? (like "law of the land" or something like that)

The Cat

Staff member
Well, it is kinda strange order of words.

Plus calling reality TV "art" even in not too literal is still kinda wrong in my book. Or you are thinking about something that wasn't mentioned ? (like "law of the land" or something like that)

I agree that's why "art" was in quotation marks. ;) I'm including all forms of entertainment marketing I think. I suspect marketing of even main stream films, popular music, and entertainment mediums of all kind have begun influencing the quality of people more than people influence the quality of the entertainment.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
It's a flip on the more well known phrase "art imitates life", and teasing the notion that there is a loss in the populations understanding of what art is. So also a loss of quality and meaning, and we now more imitate shitty charictures.

Life imitating art - Wikipedia

I understand the words but I never heard for this thesis/term as something that got defined as a saying. For me this issue is more on the level of "Monkey does what monkey sees".