• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Open Mind: How can one achieve a open mind, heart and soul?

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
"Open-Mind: How can one achieve a open mind, heart and soul? Can we begin to develop newer, open mind-sets and what is the way to go about achieving this? How does the role of learning new cultures help in this regard? What role if any has education in the role of having an open mind? How do life’s experiences shape and mold us to possess an open mind? How does the media as well other aspects in society open or restrict an open mind? Can good parenting help nurture an open mind?"

"We must be true to ourselves. However we all have blind spots of human awareness.If we act in a non-conducive way with negative energy then it behooves us to learn, listen and heed the feedback from our peers. Indeed it is a great way to learn to first have an internal moral compass and then also with open mind listen and reflect on the feedback we derive from others. If we have maintained our moral compass and walk within balance of reason and compassion then dissenters may say what they may.

It is a reflection of their own blind spots and we remain true to our self and the path we walk upon. Open mindedness encompasses the ability to keep an open mind and change or alter belief depending on new further evidence. There is a danger inherent where some people will hold unto beliefs irregardless of new information. This type of thinking leads to stagnation of the spirit and no new growth may occur. What is worse these individuals hamper social justice and change.

A problem arises with dogma which can come from religion, politics and any organization. I've found people generally repeat themselves to their own constituency and have defense mechanisms that hamper new information that doesn't fall in line with their preconceived notions. If one has a closed set of rules defining reality and the way to act, behave, think and feel in any given situation, it does not take into account human freedom and individuality. Also in the various circumstances there may be grey areas.

Coming from a psychology background I identify and notice cognitive distortions such as all or nothing should statements, denial, rationalization, emotional reasoning and other cognitive fallacies. All of these do not use critical reasoning to examine and weigh the evidence. I look for objective fact preferably backed by statistics. This in lieu of emotional and subjective laden statements which amount to little more than opinions and unvoiced stereotypes and prejudices projected outward into the world or to other people.

I usually engage in conversation and try to find some middle ground. When faced with another hopefully reasonable person I say I disagree agreeably. There are many rich wise sayings and proverbs that I don't give credence too because they have not passed the test of science validity but are rather merely beliefs people believe in. I respect their belief but state my own position and keep a healthy boundary in the discussion. Sometimes the beliefs are diametrically opposed and I say I disagree agreeably hoping to find other avenues of mutual respect and dialogue. In this way problem solving can occur versus focusing on our disagreements.

There are some things that are just anti-ethical to me and will gain a visceral response. As stated before, I state my own position and maintain boundaries but never delve into useless arguing with another person. Beliefs come from within and no one can change another. In order to achieve this requires using empathy, communication skills with active listening. It is getting into the other person's phenomenological inner universe and try to see things from their perspective. It takes discipline and having a firm grounding of knowing self. I have an analogy that all of us are part of a giant crystal or diamond, each of us seeing angles of the truth but none of us seeing reality in it's whole entirety."

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
(All quotes are a friends followed by my own reply) (1) "How can one achieve an open mind, heart, as well be in type soul?===Meditation, their is only one soul type, just different purposes."

There are a number of factors. First one must be secure in themselves. One must not hold on to dogmatic beliefs that cause a divide with other people, cultures and variant belief systems. One must practice the art of active listening. We have two ears and one mouth, hence we should listen twice as much as speak our own position. Also rational discourse is only possible with another human being who makes the attempt of mutual respect and using critical thinking in their reasoning.

If one is dogmatic holding unto a set of rigid beliefs they will not be open or receptive to another's viewpoint. They will in essence keep repeating their message over and over to the other party. All the while more heated in the exchange. This isn't true communication. It is the formula of talking at a person and not truly with another soul. They just are not receptive to open true listening. Hence no real progress can be had. The other is stuck in their dogmatic belief without room for reflection or analysis. They remain stagnant and bar their opportunity for new learning and growth through other diverse and unique beliefs.

(2) "Can we begin to develop newer, open mind-sets and what is the way to go about achieving this goal orientation?=== Meditation."

I've advocated making education a priority. This would entail teaching critical thinking skills, empathy skills, communication and active listening skills, meditation and music among other staples of a well rounded education.

(3) "How does having to learn a needed critical thinking mind, help with having an open mind?===This complicates openness, what we are is felt, not thought. What is the way learning new cultures help in this regard?===This breaks down cultural mind sets and opens us to new perspectives."

It is with openness to new experiences and the wealth of diverse cultures that one can expand their understanding of other people and the world itself. It can also enhance the opportunity for self reflection and personal growth.

(4) "What role if any has education in the role of having an open mind as well heart as well open to newness soul?===Their has been very little education in this direction."

Unfortunately this is quite true. I have always been a proponent of learning critical thinking, identifying underlying cognitive fallacies, weeding out these distortions and becoming more conscious and self aware of our choices. This instead of reacting blindly from an emotional frame of reference without the use of critical thinking. I have also advocated education in empathy skills in the school systems with the art of both communication and active listening.

(5) "How do life’s experiences shape and mold our possessing some open mind view?===Without having the experience we would not know the other side."

I have a hope that throughout the course of my life I will be open to new ideas and grow in depth and breadth through the use of insights gained from life's lessons.

(6) "How does the media as well other aspects in society open or restrict an open mind? ===Depends, if it is the usual media that works on fears, opinions, oppression, the opposite of what we are. So, very detrimental as it is about swaying society, to stay in the mind."

Unfortunately the human species seems to respond more to negative news by the use of subjective opinions, labeling and castigating those one does not agree with and using emotional reasoning. This instead of using hard objective facts and reason.

(7) "Can good parenting help nurture an open mind?===Yes. How would it go about doing this remarkable endeavor? ===When parenting allows the child in becoming a partner in sharing information, as apposed to being an owner/dictator of the child.

Example:
Parents thinking that if they don’t know something, they will be judged, by the child. This in itself is insanity, where now the child owns the parent due to the parents fear. This is felt by the child, and is confusing to the child."

I concur in a wholehearted fashion. Parents should really consider themselves custodians of their child's welfare. To do this a child needs to be raised with love, fair guidelines and safety. Parents should also be teachers by providing lessons and asking questions of their children so that the child learns to think for themselves and develops confidence. The opposing sick dysfunctional model is where love comes with conditions that are to be met. This is not real love but parental expectations projected unto the child. The child will invariably grow into an adult and spend a lifetime separating their inner inclinations and true self at war with both parents and societal expectations. Thank you for your well articulated and thorough response. Much appreciated.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Rewrite and Redrafted Edition

"I have a personal hope that throughout the course of my life I will be open to new ideas and grow in depth and breadth through the use of insights gained from life's lessons. Some pivotal keys toward developing and being open minded. First one must be secure in themselves. One must not hold on to dogmatic beliefs that cause a divide with other people, cultures and variant belief systems. One must practice the art of active listening. We have two ears and one mouth, hence we should listen twice as much as speak our own position. Also rational discourse is only possible with another human being who makes the attempt of mutual respect and using critical thinking in their reasoning.

We must be true to ourselves. However we all have blind spots of human awareness.If we act in a non-conducive way with negative energy then it behooves us to learn, listen and heed the feedback from our peers. Indeed it is a great way to learn to first have an internal moral compass and then also with open mind listen and reflect on the feedback we derive from others. If we have maintained our moral compass and walk within balance of reason and compassion then dissenters may say what they may.

It is a reflection of their own blind spots and we remain true to our self and the path we walk upon. Open mindedness encompasses the ability to keep an open mind and change or alter belief depending on new further evidence. There is a danger inherent where some people will hold unto beliefs irregardless of new information. This type of thinking leads to stagnation of the spirit and no new growth may occur. What is worse these individuals hamper social justice and change.

A problem arises with dogma which can come from religion, politics and any organization. I've found people generally repeat themselves to their own constituency and have defense mechanisms that hamper new information that doesn't fall in line with their preconceived notions. If one has a closed set of rules defining reality and the way to act, behave, think and feel in any given situation, it does not take into account human freedom and individuality. Also in the various circumstances there may be grey areas.

If one is dogmatic holding unto a set of rigid beliefs they will not be open or receptive to another's viewpoint. They will in essence keep repeating their message over and over to the other party. All the while more heated in the exchange. This isn't true communication. It is the formula of talking at a person and not truly with another soul. They just are not receptive to open true listening. Hence no real progress can be had. The other is stuck in their dogmatic belief without room for reflection or analysis. They remain stagnant and bar their own opportunity for learning and growth through exploration of other diverse and unique beliefs.

Coming from a psychology background I identify and notice cognitive distortions such as all or nothing should statements, denial, rationalization, emotional reasoning and other cognitive fallacies. All of these do not use critical reasoning to examine and weigh the evidence. I look for objective fact preferably backed by statistics. This in lieu of emotional and subjective laden statements which amount to little more than opinions and unvoiced stereotypes and prejudices projected outward into the world or to other people. I usually engage in conversation and try to find some middle ground. When faced with another hopefully reasonable person I say I disagree agreeably.

There are many rich wise sayings and proverbs that I don't give credence too because they have not passed the test of science validity but are rather merely beliefs people believe in.
I respect their belief but state my own position and keep a healthy boundary in the discussion. Sometimes the beliefs are diametrically opposed and I say I disagree agreeably hoping to find other avenues of mutual respect and dialogue. In this way problem solving can occur versus focusing on our disagreements. There are some things that are just anti-ethical to me and will gain a visceral response.

As stated before, I state my own position and maintain boundaries but never delve into useless arguing with another person. Beliefs come from within and no one can change another. I've advocated making education a priority. This would entail teaching critical thinking skills, empathy skills, communication with active listening skills, meditation and music among other staples of a well rounded education. I have always been a proponent of learning critical thinking, identifying underlying cognitive fallacies, weeding out these distortions and becoming more conscious and self aware of our choices. This instead of reacting blindly from an emotional frame of reference without the use of critical thinking.

It is with openness to new experiences and the wealth of diverse cultures that one can expand their understanding of other people and the world itself. It can also enhance the opportunity for self reflection and personal growth. It is getting into the other person's phenomenological inner universe and trying to see things from their perspective. It takes discipline and having a firm grounding of knowing self.
Unfortunately the human species seems to respond more to negative news by the use of subjective opinions, labeling and castigating those one does not agree with and using emotional reasoning. This instead of using hard objective facts and reason.

Parents should really consider themselves custodians of their child's welfare. To do this a child needs to be raised with love, fair guidelines and safety. Parents should also be teachers by providing lessons and asking questions of their children so that the child learns to think for themselves and develops confidence. The opposing sick dysfunctional model is where love comes with set conditions that are to be met. This is not real love but parental expectations projected unto the child. The child will invariably grow into an adult and spend a lifetime separating their inner inclinations and true self at war with both parents and societal expectations.

I have an analogy that all of us are part of a giant crystal or diamond, each of us seeing angles of the truth but none of us seeing reality in it's whole entirety."We are all part of a giant crystal or diamond. Call it the eye of Odin. Perhaps one could call it Odin's eye, or the eye of God. We need to pool our resources and capabilities into a cohesive whole and on the way getting rid of distortions, which we all have.
None of us can see the Truth. We can catch only glimmers of it out of the corner of our eye. We need to cut away at illogical untruths.

Each of us is different with different capabilities as well different attributes and a different life mission. It is all part of a whole. People live in different perceptual realities and live by different truths. Obviously not everyone can be right. In fact no one is totally right. This is why we fight instead of listening to each other and both honoring and respecting other people's truths."