• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Obi-Wan Kenobi Disney Series

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What's truly sad is that it isn't as bad as Boba Fett, etc.
That show was pretty bad. Not good when your best episodes are from another show. I also disliked how Boba Fett is a boy scout now. I don't mind making him a good guy, but he still should have something of an edge. I wasn't watching a Boba Fett show, this was somebody else.

I lost interest in the Obi-Wan show; at some point I'll finish it. The stuff with young Leia, I think, wasn't working for me.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That show was pretty bad. Not good when your best episodes are from another show. I also disliked how Boba Fett is a boy scout now. I don't mind making him a good guy, but he still should have something of an edge. I wasn't watching a Boba Fett show, this was somebody else.

I lost interest in the Obi-Wan show; at some point I'll finish it. The stuff with young Leia, I think, wasn't working for me.
Yeah, it goes either way depending on the viewer. I liked some of the ideas but... not really a show I'd rewatch. the first confrontation between Obi-Wan and Vader is ridiculous. the final one has its moments but there's no reason for him to have just left without making sure the deed was done, except to set up the original trilogy.

I'm still dreading figuring out how to handle Mando S3 because apparently you need to watch Boba Fett to understand where Season 3 starts. Maybe I'll just take 2 minutes to read a detailed synopsis and otherwise not waste my time.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I just watched again Mando season 2, in preparation for season 3. My sons pointed out that Mando season 2 Boba is strong and fierce and willing to kill the Child to get what he wants. He is never a good guy. He just keeps his word.

BoBF Boba is a weak nice guy who doesn't want to engage in crime or violence, while trying to take over as a crime lord. Kathleen Kennedy made it into a kids' show while Mando season 1 and 2 are clearly adult shows.

Kenobi is worse than BoBF, but that isn't giving anything much to BoBF. Supposedly, Filoni and Favreau threatened to walk from Mando season 3 after that garbage.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I just watched again Mando season 2, in preparation for season 3. My sons pointed out that Mando season 2 Boba is strong and fierce and willing to kill the Child to get what he wants. He is never a good guy. He just keeps his word.

BoBF Boba is a weak nice guy who doesn't want to engage in crime or violence, while trying to take over as a crime lord. Kathleen Kennedy made it into a kids' show while Mando season 1 and 2 are clearly adult shows.

Kenobi is worse than BoBF, but that isn't giving anything much to BoBF. Supposedly, Filoni and Favreau threatened to walk from Mando season 3 after that garbage.
I'm glad to hear that about Filoni and Faverau.

I didn't like that as a crime lord Boba Fett was unwilling to do anything illegal or even underhanded. I thought at some point he was going to unleash ruthlessness when all other options were exhausted but that never happened. If it had, I think the show could have worked for me.

It's a shame because I think Temura Morrison deserved a better show.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, it has been awhile since I've seen Mando S2 but I don't remember Boba being weak there -- he was kinda cool. Obviously I didn't give a rat's ass about him in his own series, it felt so toothless. How can you have a series about a bounty hunter outside the law + crime lords and have it be so adolescent? It's kinda my big problem with Disney+, everything is geared towards 12 years olds as the sweet spot. The MCU movies that aired in theaters generally could go darker (Infinity War is definitely for adults, it's pretty intense and lots of death), but all of their MCU TV shows felt about as lame as all the regular network superhero TV shows out there -- they're all aimed at older kids.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What's truly sad is that it isn't as bad as Boba Fett, etc.
I think Boba Frett was a little bit better than Obi Wan because it has a unique angle. One man fighting the Hutts - an mafia syndicate even the empire didn't want to conquer - had a potential good storyline to it. However Disney managed to screw that up big time. Obi Wan didn't even have that. It was a typical retired veteran saving a family member of an old friend plot that has been repeated too many times.

The side characters of Boba were forgetful, the main character is boring, the backstory wasn't relatable and the Hutts weren't the promised enemies of the series.

Lets hope they wouldn't screw the second season of the Gem - Andor and I hope Ahsoka would be good. I liked her in the Mandalorian. Disney isn't handling the Jedi stuff too well though. They are making the Sith Lords lame.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
still dreading figuring out how to handle Mando S3 because apparently you need to watch Boba Fett to understand where Season 3 starts
Don't worry. You just have to watch the last 2 episodes (Or the penultimate episode) of Boba. You don't have to watch the entire series. That particular episode was quite good. It was all about the Mandalorian and it didn't have soft boy Boba in it. Hands down the best episode of the Boba series.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Yeah, it has been awhile since I've seen Mando S2 but I don't remember Boba being weak there -- he was kinda cool. Obviously I didn't give a rat's ass about him in his own series, it felt so toothless. How can you have a series about a bounty hunter outside the law + crime lords and have it be so adolescent? It's kinda my big problem with Disney+, everything is geared towards 12 years olds as the sweet spot. The MCU movies that aired in theaters generally could go darker (Infinity War is definitely for adults, it's pretty intense and lots of death), but all of their MCU TV shows felt about as lame as all the regular network superhero TV shows out there -- they're all aimed at older kids.

Imo it shouldnt be too terribly surprising that they defanged the fett to make him more Disney. Here's the guy Who Darth Vader used to have to reign in on disintegrating bounties. Truth is they've been defanging fett since Georgie Porgie changed him from ex Imperial Journeyman Protector Jaster Mareel who became Boba Fett because he killed his supervisor; to be the clone son of Jango Fett... But yeah Disney has always watered down anti heroes into heroes with five o clock shadows. The mild unshaveness is how you know these clean cut kids are street tough with their candy colored iphones-i mean speeder bikes. God I miss when you could get drugs anywhere in the galaxy far far away. Pretty sure Spice is just actual rock candy now.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Right. Mando season 1 was a throwaway just to get some content on Disney plus. They had some limited props and assets from the canceled Boba movie and let Filoni and Favreau do a show on the ultra cheap. Volume was brand new and untried. It is not a show for 12 year olds, but designed for adults. It was an unexpected huge hit and Disney didn't even have any merch for Baby Yoda. Season 2 remains an adult slow and ended up being the greatest thing for Disney Plus, driving subscriptions through the roof.

Loki and Wandavision both started as clever ideas, though both shows kind of collapse at the end.

And then everything else on Disney plus sucked until Andor. Andor is House of Cards meets Star Wars plus some stuff and NOT a show designed for 12 year olds, though they can watch it.

Disney needs to decide. HBO knows it makes adult shows. If Disney wants to only make things for 12 year olds, that is fine. Just don't ruin things to do it.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
well, yeah of course it is house of cards with beau willimon writing some of it.

pretty much Disney has taken properties that could go either way and kind of mucked them down in age. Just because something is accessible to kids though doesn't mean it needs to be terrible; look at how great Pixar was on multiple levels... until Disney got a hold of it. They had a few more great films that were done by the established Pixar staff and already in the pipeline (Up, Wall-e, Toy Story 3), and then when Brave came out -- that was a noticeable drop in quality. Oh, the hair was pretty amazing, but the jokes and story telling was kinda... eh?

look at all the other stuff since, pretty much anything with Pete Docter is at the top of the pack, the rest is now average... although Turning Red ended up being decent.

Last edited:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It bothered me because Boba Fett's introductory scene establishes that he likes to disintegrate people. He's not Ned Flanders. It is possible to shift alignments without becoming Ned Flanders.

I thought the idea of being a good crime lord was interesting but they didn't do anything even a little bit underhanded. It was lawful stupid nonsense.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
It bothered me because Boba Fett's introductory scene establishes that he likes to disintegrate people. He's not Ned Flanders. It is possible to shift alignments without becoming Ned Flanders.

I thought the idea of being a good crime lord was interesting but they didn't do anything even a little bit underhanded. It was lawful stupid nonsense.
Ned Flanders likes disintegrating people too.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ned Flanders likes disintegrating people too.
Hi-diddley-ZAP!!-neighbor

1677550744842.png