• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Norms in society that make no sense?

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
What are some norms in society that make no logical sense to you? Why?

tumblr_mskahs8rZk1qd9168o2_r1_250.gif

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
Circumcisizing babies even when not religious. That is something that comes from religion...

Last edited:

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
Expecting cats to be super similar to dogs...they're entirely different species, just why?

Last edited:

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
The tendency to make Reasoning VS Emotion a dichotomy...

...as if emotions can't be perfectly reasonable, or things of reason can't also be emotional (eg. passionate), or whatever. It's like there is this underlying assumption that the stronger the presence of one is, the stronger the absence of the other is.

Last edited:

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
Thinking of kindness as a weakness / being a "pushover." It often is much more difficult to respond with kindness than to react reflexively with anger or harshness. It requires self-control. Furthermore, the world is often cold, and it's often much easier to harden and adopt the same coldness then it is to remain a soft, gentle, kind, compassionate, and warm person.

Kindness also possesses certain kinds of power, particularly in the realm of influence. Influence is a leadership skill/quality.

The requirement of strain/effort and the fact that positive outcomes arise from it, automatically deems kindness a form of strength, does it not?

I don't understand why so many people don't realize that it's more about wisdom/judgment/discernment regarding when and how it should be applied, rather than it being about strong VS weak. It's not a black and white dichotomy. In some cases losing your kindness comes from a place of weakness; it's situational.

Last edited:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I got one.... Preserving respect for governmental institutions means not holding officeholders accountable for crimes. Because it's better that everyone pretend that all politicians are morally upright by virtue of the office they hold even though nobody actually believes that.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Fashionably late is another dumb one. I would think this would actually be disrespectful because it implies that you don't think your host is important enough to show up on time for, but society evidently disagrees.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
The dating process. I don't really understand becoming romantically involved with people you barely know at all instead of taking your time and becoming good friends first. It takes time to build close relationships...to me the traditional dating process seems like skipping several steps and jumping ahead for reasons that don't make it reasonable to do so.

Last edited:

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
Seniority based promotions rather than skillset based promotions/hires.

I was once hired for a certain job position that I have trained and specialized in. Some of the other employees were angered by this, claiming that they were more entitled to it based on seniority...despite having 0 prior experience with that kind of work, compared to my experience of more than a decade. It became this big echo chamber in which everyone was for some reason agreeing that someone new shouldn't be given that position.

I ended up fired for disability symptoms anyway though.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Something I never understood is why people think punishment is the only way to discipline a child. They're not dogs, the reason we train animals with action rather than conversation is because they don't speak english and hardly comprehend it. Whereas humans have the ability to communicate with one another, to understand behavior. Why don't we implement it more often in parenting? Why is it seen as being a pushover to explain things to children and have constant open discussion. Never made sense to me.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The dating process. I don't really understand becoming romantically involved with people you barely know at all instead of taking your time and becoming good friends first. It takes time to build close relationships...to me the traditional dating process seems like skipping several steps and jumping ahead for reasons that don't make it reasonable to do so.
This ^^^ Exactly why I never dated around. I'm 23 and I'm with my boyfriend of 2 years, but we were friends for a whole year before he confessed his feelings for me. I think I crushed on him pretty early on, as i tend to do when I find people kind, but I couldn't dream of dating someone I only had a small handful of conversations with. It's incredibly strange to me. I don't see how dating a friend is a downside, you're just deepening the relationship and I think that's amazing. It's familiar yet new.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
This thread feels like it's just waiting on the obvious Libertarian takes.

Paisley

Strolling Through The Shire
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Death. We are far too accepting of death. You'd think we, as a mission, objective, or goal for all humanity would collectively devote all our time to extending our lives, to give ourselves more time, but we're too divisive and distracted to crack the problem.

People sacrificing freedom for security at an alarming rate.

Anthropology. All cultural norms like weddings, ceremonies, and all types of customs, make no sense to me.

Apologizing to someone else because something terrible and life threatening happened to me. Having to do that is bullshit!

People in line ups at the check out a solid 20 feet behind the line, where people behind them are out the door because of this asshole, and no one says a word. You are not in line if you are that far back. Cutting in front of you is a courtesy I give to those behind you. Move up or fuck off next time! What I love about Covid is that they put "stand here" social distancing dots on the floor which are CLOSER than these idiots were standing before Covid! :ROFLMAO: The J part of me loves the order and the courtesy!

Last edited:

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
People sacrificing freedom for security at an alarming rate.
I agree - I also wonder why people aren't in the streets protesting every time the Patriot Act is renewed. Or is that not the kind of sacrificing freedom for security you were actually talking about?

You should probably try grocery pick up/delivery, given your social distancing rant. I always find the histrionics most amusing from the people that can't tell the difference between inconvenience and tyranny - somehow it always come back to shopping.

Last edited:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I agree - I also wonder why people aren't in the streets protesting every time the Patriot Act is renewed. Or is that not the kind of sacrificing freedom for security you were actually talking about?
That one is a necessary sacrifice because terrorists and illegals don't care about freedom. (That's what my cousin said when I talked about RealId... he believes vaccine and mask mandates are tyranny, though. Interesting that he's so much more scared of and worried about terrorists and illegals than the virus which has killed way more people, though.)

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
That one is a necessary sacrifice because terrorists and illegals don't care about freedom. (That's what my cousin said when I talked about RealId... he believes vaccine and mask mandates are tyranny, though. Interesting that he's so much more scared of and worried about terrorists and illegals than the virus which has killed way more people, though.)
Masks, as in a piece of cloth on your face = Tyranny
Vaccine mandates = Tyranny
Investigations based on lawful First Amendment activity, government surveillance through warrantless wiretaps, computer surveillance, access to medical, financial, business and educational records and secret searches of homes and offices, undermining fair due process procedures guaranteed by the Fifth, Sixth and Fourteenth Amendments and permitting the government to detain non-citizens indefinitely even if they have never been convicted of a crime....all good man.