• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Narrow down my type?

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
Currently, I've narrowed down to the following possible types: ISTP/ESTP, ESTJ, INTP/ENTP?

1. What motivates you in life? What do you most want to do? What do you feel would give your life purpose?

I am currently motivated to create a new theory for my graduate research and publish the results. I've always been drawn to pure mathematics because there exists many solutions to a problem. So far, I've published one paper and developed a Mathematical equation to predict the thermal demands for a geothermal bridge de-icing system. So, I obtain satisfaction by progressing a particular field or working on innovative research projects. I plan to eventually work towards a PHD in Geo-technical Engineering, although my research is confined to technological methods of utilizing geothermal energy to permit de-icing. To attain purpose in life, I want to innovate a new method relating to research to help society in some fashion. I've also considered starting my own business to create supplements that could help others cope with issues such as ADD, exc.... (I have an interest in physiology). I enjoy writing books as well. One book I started but haven't finished is called "Modern Adaptation," which explains how we will adapt to change in the future. Thus, it would be fulfilling to write a book that gives key insights to help others solve some problem.

2. Name something you like. Now tell me WHY you like it. Do you dislike anything that is similar to it? If so, do you know WHY you like the first thing but not the second?

I do enjoy experimentation regarding my current research. I like creating hypothesis and conducting tests to determine if the results match my expectations. I dislike setting up the experiments, so I tend to ask for help in that regard. I am relatively weak in the area of kinesthetics, but I am accepting and content of my weaknesses and limitations. I also really enjoyed learning about the human body because the organ system is connected in so many ways. For instance, the connection between the liver and motivation, which facilitates our evolution. Lastly, I enjoy having deep philosophical discussions, and answering questions to help others solve problems.

3. What bothers you more – a lie, or an inaccuracy?
I am quite bothered by inaccuracy, especially with research. I constantly find errors in my reports, and try to create a prediction to match the results that I attain under the least margin of error. I can generally tell if someone is lying, however, I have limited control over this aspect so I am indifferent to it.

4. Do you believe others must always come first, or that it is justified to be selfish once in awhile?

I believe that one should focus energy towards themselves in regards to growth and improvement throughout life, and utilize that energy to help others unlock their potential or grow/develop on their unique path. This of course, should be done in moderation.

5. Two of your friends get into a fight. What do you do – pick a side and defend it, or stay out of it and let them deal with the problem themselves?

Last time two of my friends got into a fight, I approached one to give him insight on how to approach the scenario, and he ended up confronting the other to settle the issue. I generally dislike conflict and don't like getting involved, so I try to manage it by giving advice.

6. Have you always known what you wanted to be, or do you change your mind on a regular basis as you experience new things?

I've changed my mind a few times in regards to my career path. I started out as a Geology Major, then decided to double major in Mathematics and Geology. I proceeding to pursue a PHD in Mathematics, but decided to transition my path to Geo-technical Engineering since Geology and Math were complimentary, and I considered the new prospect rewarding. I am now considering whether I transition to industry, go full time PHD in Geo-tech, or split between industry and part-time PHD.

7. What are your feelings about routine? If you had to completely abandon your life tomorrow, could you do it, or would you fall back into the same behaviors in your new life that you had in your old one? (Always doing something a certain way, for example.)

I don't mind moving to a new area to start a new path for my life. I consider the possibility of adapting to a new situation to expand my knowledge/growth as a whole. I believe it's beneficial to expand or broaden knowledge such that you can relate to more people. Being alone or confined in one place for too long leads to stagnation, and limits potential in life.
-I do not follow a strict schedule and my eating habits are rather sporadic/random, however, I am a minimalist. So, I have a limited amount of activities I partake in, but this is most likely related to introversion. I think everyone has some recurring behavior patterns. I don't mind jumping into a new field or career choice because there's more opportunity to expand my knowledge base. At work, I dislike repetition and am willing to try a new method or listen to others ideas.

8. What are your feelings about the future? Optimistic or fearful? Be honest, here. Are you pessimistic about the future?

I am not fearful of the future, and am quite optimistic regarding my career path. I enjoy being a part of a research project invested in helping shape humanity in some form (in my case, improving the safety of transportation--bridge de-icing). I only get pessimistic in terms of the effect of social media influence and cosmetic industry on people. I am not drawn to aesthetics, and would rather have a deeper connection than a superficial one. I understand these two components can facilitate insecurity and increase standards over time. Yet, I have no control over its influence, so there's not much point letting it drag me down. Everyone is unique and has the ability to change over time. If the external is valued to the extreme, it becomes increasingly difficult to introspect. Yet, our actions can create a domino effect and in turn, help bring positive energy.

9. What would be more likely to interest you – the promise of a new and exciting sensory experience that you have never had before (like, say, the chance to swim with dolphins), or something that provokes your imagination?

Something that provokes my imagination is more fulfilling. I need to exercise my creativity daily to be satisfied, so discussing ideas or theories with others meets this condition.

10. Are you good at finishing things, or do you get distracted from them by new, exciting impulses?

I'm generally good at finishing my intended goals. If I have an idea relating to my research, I'll ensure it gets completed because I intend to publish a few papers down the road. I use a mix of divergent and convergent thinking, which proved useful in generating new theories/equations in Pure Mathematics. I always consider the consequences of my actions, so my impulses are inhibited. I have friends who drink heavily without thinking of the consequences, yet I understand the effects over time.

11. Are you good at brainstorming in the moment, or do you like to process your ideas before sharing them? Say you are trying to write a story. Do you tell your friends about it, share ideas, and accept some of their ideas along with your own because they sound awesome, or do you prefer not to talk about your story until after it’s finished?

I am relatively quick to share my ideas/theories. In the Math department, I would tell everyone about a new theory I developed to find the infinite set of non-prime numbers, then it turned out someone copied my idea, and just generalized it further.

12. What did you act like during a crazy / super stressed / anxiety-filled period in your life?
I usually become quite emotional and tend to shy away from people til my mood improves. I also become increasingly spaced out, constantly lose things, and have the propensity to become a hypochondriac.

Also, I think it's useful to type based on writing style/content over time, so if someone followed my post, perhaps they can gauge my type via this method. An Ni user would have a good idea regarding this method. Much appreciated....

Last edited:

Venus Rose

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What do you think about head type for your core? (5, 6, 7). Do any of those stand out to you?