• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

IT temperament: Profesional gamer

Chimerical

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w5
Logical based introversion creates a lot of advantages in gaming.
Introversion creates advantages in anything that would deal with a great deal of thought opposed to a great deal of external action. Like writing, playing videogames, artwork, music, other introverted activities. In the world of computers Logic is definitely more of an asset than emotion.

So, lets break the IT's down more, while keeping the focus on gaming for cash moneys.

S. In my many travels to tournaments and tournament workshops [practice practice practice!!!] those who're Sensing types seem to excel at inputing commands more so than the iNtuitive types. Preferring a senses over ideas, in theory would make it easier to just input the commands and get a feel for it. Also utilizing complex control schemes seems to come with ease to the sensing types [which I almost envy... almost.]

N. This almost envy... So iNtuitive types lack the input and command skill of the sensing types. However they seem to understand the system and engine of the game in a greater detail than the sensing types which makes finding glitches easier. Or understanding the properties of the inputs and knowing better how and when to use the commands.

So... the sensing types don't need as much practice actually doing the moves in a game, but struggle a little more understanding the system, even after they're taught the system. They still must put more effort into learning it [My friend Steve is like this... He often ignores the more complex properties of a game because his input is great enough for him to not need it as much].

The intuitives have to work much much hardest to actually input the moves. What takes a sensing type a few hours to learn, input wise, may take the intuitive a week or longer. However they learn the properties and system of the game a whole lot faster.

P. Perceptive types, I think, are the ones with the clear cut advantage. So, ISTP and INTP would, in my opinion be the best of the best. In fast paced action games anyway [like Marvel vs. Capcom series, streetfighter, soul calibur, etc..]. They react to situations a lot quicker and can change their actions on the fly. Their strategies just aren't always the best. Which isn't a big deal in those games since a lot of times the strategies can be taught and don't need to be thought up on the fly.

J. Judging types are amazing at coming up with on the fly strategies, and preset strategies and contingencies. e.g. while playing fighting games I have about 3 back up plans ready to go. However these strategies are often trumped in fighters by the ability to react on the fly. But, strategy based games [like LoL, WoW, Star Craft, etc..] are a different story. Those games have the tables turning in favor of judging types.

So, P is great on the fly improve [good for fighters and fast paced games]. J is good for strategies [great for anything that requires a lot of planning].

The types

ISTP: Make it stop!!!!
They're very terrifying to play against even if it's a game they've never played before when it comes to fighting games. Almost never makes input errors, will react to your movements constantly, and erratically and often unpredictably shifts gears during the fight, keeping you guessing all the way through. It's a pretty good combination.

INTP: What the fuck just happened, I've been had my mind blown!!
At first seems a lot like the ISTP during a match. Then, they might make a minor input error and you're thinking it's not as bad. Till you realize it's not an error, it's some weird glitch in the game. Then weird things start to happen and you're mind has been blown. Very entertaining to watch.

ISTJ: It's a trap!!!
The oddest of them all. They have many preset combos for many situations that occur often, and very good input. If you get caught in their world you're usually not getting out. Every ISTJ I've played's weakness is their strength at the same time. The constructed world they run will entrap you in an endless beat down, however, anything outside this set strategy seems to completely through off their rhythm. The lesser skill ISTJ's sometimes panic in this state, the others cut their losses and try eventually see a situation they have a set plan to place you back into the world of pain.

INTJ: Evil mastermind
Close to the ISTJ. Only their world of terror often involves the engine of the game rather than perfect input. Often creating situations that limit your options while playing against them. If they're good, the options they limit you to aren't options you want to be left with. The best I've seen will limit you to options like A. Death/brutal beat down B. moving into a position that enables them to limit your options to A. B. and C.[ taking light damage, losing time on the clock, and being put at yet another disadvantage].

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Maybe you could try explaining in terms of:

- Ti + Se
- Ti + Ne
- Ni + Te
- Si + Te

Those are more specific than dichotomies which tend to slide and does not explain the nature of cognitive functions, of which are different.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's interesting that someone would take notice of the I/E + T/F groups. I call them the "social image" temperaments, just like the somewhat more referenced I/E + J/P groups are the "sociability" temperaments.

So IT carries a "melancholic" social image (introverted, and deep thinker), and three of them are actually the Melancholic "Chart the Course" Interaction Style (IST/INJ). The INTP is the odd man out, there (Behind the Scenes), but the I + T preference does often make them identify with Melancholic.

The MBTI Manual actually gives brief descriptions of all the possible two-letter combinations. For the IT, "Reflective Reasoners":
"They have concern for basic principles that explain the causes and consequences of events or the workings of things. IT's are the most removed from daily social intercourse and are the slowest to develop social skills. They tend to be indifferent to or dislike small talk and may find many social interactions unwelcome and stressful. They can be seen as socially awkward or may come across as overly formal and even unfriendly. They may be seen, often erroneously, as overly critical, disdainful, or at best, uninterested in what's going on."

As far as games, I'm more into the Mario series and classic arcade, and yes, am better at the system and concepts than actual gameplay.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
As far as games, I'm more into the Mario series and classic arcade, and yes, am better at the system and concepts than actual gameplay.

Same here. I'm also a fan of the Mario series and some of the classic arcade games.

I'm not that skilled at the actual gameplay of videogames. What appeals to me most about it is the system aspect and the puzzles/problem solving. So often I know what needs to be done but to actually make it work is harder because I don't always have the most steady hands or best sense of timing.

Chimerical

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w5
I like mario series and play levels over and over working on the fastest way to get to the end.
I'll play for hours before I stop with mario, so I try to avoid playing it.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Since we're talking about Mario, I'd sure pick an eSTP with no life to do this:
(this video is so sick...I'm not 100% sure it is real)

This one is a bit less insane:

I'd guess:
INTJ - best adapted for strategy games (management and planning)
ISTP - best adapted for platform (action,action,action)
INTP - best adapted for role playing games (creativity and planning)
ESTP - best adapted for first person shooters (they shoot before they even think, they're perfect)