• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I'm not saying it was aliens, but it was aliens

Lark

You've probably seen the meme.

Is the "it was aliens" the scientific equivalent of the religious "it was God"?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
While I don’t think it’s impossible we’ve been visited, I find the whole “aliens built the pyramids” line of thinking to be kind of insulting, as if to say ancient humans lacked the determination and fortitude to accomplish anything without assistance. It’s also simultaneously anthropocentric, this idea that we would be an object of such importance to highly advanced aliens. Assuming we have been visited, it’s more likely to be studied and observed at a distance. If aliens were able to make it here, it’s likely they’d be at a level of development where they’d easily be able to conceal themselves from our detection. More likely is that any other species at a level similar to or more advanced than ours is too distant to bother with visiting and surveying our solar system. Iirc, most of the sunlike stars capable of supporting earth like planets in our galaxy are located closer to galactic center. Our sun is essentially a backwater or distant island. Think of it like some remote pacific island in relation to Eurasia. I think it’s likely there is other sentient life in our galaxy and beyond, but unlikely we’ve been visited or are even known about by those other civilizations

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I blame the History Channel. Ain't nuthin' scientific in there.

Lark

Well, I think it is a hypothesis, maybe not a great one, and one which probably cant be falsified by further research findings.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I didn't see the meme but ....

This simply isn't scientific equivalent of God since for scientific reasoning you need some kinds of facts and scientific method of studying the problem. While Aliens in this context are more on the level of conspiracy theory.

GoggleGirl17

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I dressed up as that meme for Halloween once.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Is it true that the Giorgio guy in the memes doesn’t even have any background in any fields relevant to that tv show?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Yeah, wassup with the "History" channel???

Damn, i'm stuck watching Syfy for my reality fix....

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
While I don’t think it’s impossible we’ve been visited, I find the whole “aliens built the pyramids” line of thinking to be kind of insulting, as if to say ancient humans lacked the determination and fortitude to accomplish anything without assistance. It’s also simultaneously anthropocentric, this idea that we would be an object of such importance to highly advanced aliens. Assuming we have been visited, it’s more likely to be studied and observed at a distance. If aliens were able to make it here, it’s likely they’d be at a level of development where they’d easily be able to conceal themselves from our detection. More likely is that any other species at a level similar to or more advanced than ours is too distant to bother with visiting and surveying our solar system. Iirc, most of the sunlike stars capable of supporting earth like planets in our galaxy are located closer to galactic center. Our sun is essentially a backwater or distant island. Think of it like some remote pacific island in relation to Eurasia. I think it’s likely there is other sentient life in our galaxy and beyond, but unlikely we’ve been visited or are even known about by those other civilizations

But how do you explain the Pumamen? You don't believe in the gods who came from other worlds?

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, wassup with the "History" channel???

It used to be okay... I remember watching [alien-free] documentaries about ancient Egypt as a kid on there. Then sometime around 2010, the network jumped the shark with a huge influx of alt history-realityTV-conspiracy-craziness. It was funny... at first.

Damn, i'm stuck watching Syfy for my reality fix....

Oh god, don’t get me started on Syfy, now! The spelling change still makes me mad.
It looks like some kind of STD. :dont:

Mole

Permabanned
Religion has given us a Heaven populated by a panoply of Angels, and as our faith has faded they have been replaced by aliens.

Aliens are more plausible than Angels as there are four trillion galaxies, so the chance of some being inhabited by aliens is good. It is just that the universe is so big and the speed of light is so relatively slow, that we are unlikely to meet them.

We want to believe, we have the will to believe, only we don't have the evidence or the reason to believe, but this doesn't matter, because we are entranced by the thought of Angels or aliens, where our critical mind goes to sleep, and our imaginative mind wakes up. Quite like mbti.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
I'm not going to go full Grusch. Never go full Grusch.
If you're telling yourself you're not going to go full Grusch, you've already passed that are entering into Sandel territory. Check out Chiluminati Podcast. Thank me later.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Given the size of the universe and the persistence of life on earth in every possible environment, it would be quite a leap to assume life never happened anywhere else.

I think the error in thinking comes when we assume that lots of aliens find earth so fascinating and they just "have to have it". Or that we are so delicious to them, or whatever. Humans are kinda egotistical at first thinking the universe revolved around them, also thinking they are better than all other lifeforms on earth and therefore can do whatever they want with them, and now that lots of aliens find us so interesting, useful, and delicious.

Yes, it needs to be considered speculation when there isn't concrete evidence for specific aliens, but it is a reasoned speculation that there is life that evolved elsewhere. Giorgio A. Tsoukalos and his meme "I'm not saying it was aliens, but it was aliens" seem equally humorous as it is promoting the actual notion.