• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Gadgets

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In my blog, I recently posted about a compact camping grill developed by a former Israeli soldier. Later, a friend brought to my attention this survival shovel multitool. I don't really have a need for such a sophisticated product, but there is something really appealing about practical, well-made tools, especially ones that are multifuctional or have some other clever design element like the roll-up grill.

1636254379736.png

So, this thread is for posting your favorite gadgets and tools, whether for household use, camping, sports, crafts; large and complicated or small and simple. Bonus if you have one and can give a review or recommendation. Or post something you are considering getting, and see if someone else has experience with it.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No responses to this??

I am a sucker for gadgets...

Have collected all 3 of the Solo Stove camping/backpacking wood stoves over the past 6 years (also the Bonfire fire pit but not as enthusiastic about that one)

Lite-
SSLITE_Shadow-2__41846.1641838523.jpg

Definitely enough firepower for 1 person backpacking IMO. This is the only one I've actually taken out on a (day) trip so far. (Working towards doing a real backpacking trip this spring). IMO the best thing you could pair this with, besides the solo stove Pot900 that it nests inside, is a pair of pruning shears for cutting its suitably-sized firewood.
20220212_130245.jpg

Titan-
SSTITAN_Shadow-1__78435.1603999168.jpg

I intend to bring this on my backpacking trip as it'll be 2 people - my son and I. We've played with it in the yard a lot, it can take bigger pieces of wood than the Lite and stuffs more/less need to feed the stove constantly. I have a lightweight set of loppers, for pruning, that might work well for cutting bigger pieces of wood otherwise pruning shears would certainly make adequate wood for this stove. (Loppers are awkward to carry in a pack, but might be secured to the outside of the pack "hanging" off it)

Campfire-
CAMPFIRE_1_1000__44489.1638826046.jpg

It's a beast, honestly too much firepower for a 10" cast iron skillet, maybe better suited for a 12" skillet or larger pot/dutch oven. Obviously not a backpacking stove unless you are going with a big group & have comparably large cookware or pots distributed among the group. Not entirely sure this fits into a typical camping scenario, because usually you have a larger firepit or fire ring for a "real" campfire. I'd bring a proper hatchet at least for the wood processing on this one. Maybe a small folding saw too.

I definitely acknowledge there are cheaper & easier ways to go about this, a simple isobutane/propane canister stove is a far more convenient solution and probably cheaper. However there is something charming to me about using wood, especially scraps & branches/twigs found about the campsite or trail, and the craft of building fire has its own reward to me. It's a hobby to be sure.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Renogy's 72000mah power bank I got on sale last year, and it's by far the beefiest portable battery I've owned.

619MsL3ZN5L._AC_SX679_.jpg

It's not listed on Renogy's site anymore so I suspect it's discontinued. The device sports a 12V cigarette lighter socket that connects directly to the battery, so the electronics in the head of the unit don't need to be "on" for that. However it does have two USB-C ports (one can charge it), one of those USB-C's supports Power Delivery up to 60W for modern laptops, a USB-A port, and a DC power jack that can be used to charge it (via ~15VDC; the unit does include an AC adapter with 5.5/2.1mm DC plug for charging it) or supply power to external devices using a Boost Converter. The booster can have its voltage selected for 12V, 16.5V, 20V and 24V. My CPAP machine works fine off the boost converter set to 24V using a basic cable: https://www.amazon.com/iGuerburn-Airsense-Rockpals-TalentCell-Flashfish/dp/B09Q336VNM

The unit is a bit heavy at ~3lb, but it's slender enough to fit in my bookbag along with laptop et al. Major downside is that its size, 266 watt-hours, is too large to take on an airline flight. That's a real conundrum. I wouldn't be shocked if that's the reason it's discontinued.

edit:

"Size limits: Lithium metal (non-rechargeable) batteries are limited to 2 grams of lithium per battery. Lithium ion (rechargeable) batteries are limited to a rating of 100 watt hours (Wh) per battery. These limits allow for nearly all types of lithium batteries used by the average person in their electronic devices. With airline approval, passengers may also carry up to two spare larger lithium ion batteries (101–160 Wh) or Lithium metal batteries (2-8 grams). This size covers the larger after-market extended-life laptop computer batteries and some larger batteries used in professional audio/visual equipment."

Last edited:

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I have propane griddle and grill but I wanted something small I could put a pan or a tea pot to heat water or something. I found one of these little stoves at an Asian market. It uses a tiny amount of charcoal and does exactly what I needed it to do.

51tEi34T4UL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Hawk

MBTI Type
INTJ
I like low tech stuff. In terms of gadgets it brings up the unassuming items such as......

Cast iron. In this case, a Dutch Oven.

L10CO3.jpg

I have made bread from scratch in these. I did a how to video once where I started a fire in the snow using a magnifying glass and rotted log, then made bread dough with only yeast and salt and water and flour. I put it on the dutch oven and had a loaf of bread.

Yeast can be found wild. Flour can be made from any edible leaf or grain. Salt and water are the slightly harder items to get but you can see where this goes. A little enginuity and a Dutch oven, and you can probably make anything you need.

I got one of the standard types but later got one that was 2 pans. One is used as a lid for the other. That way there are 2 cooking pans and a Dutch Oven if used together.

71n0PzVWHDL._AC_SX466_.jpg

That's an awesome gadget.