• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Favorite Live Albums?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What are your favorite live albums? Feel free to list bootleg (unofficial) live albums too. Or just post audio/video of your favorite live performances.

Mine are

The Name of This Band is Talking Heads
Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense
David Bowie Live In Santa Monica '72
Dave Matthews + Tim Reynolds Live At Luther College
Genesis - Live at The Lyceum 1980 (bootleg)
U2 - Under A Blood Red Sky
Radiohead - I Might Be Wrong: Live Recordings
Pink Floyd - Ummagumma (live disc)
Pink Floyd - Live at Pompeii
Thelonious Monk Live at the It Club
David Bowie - Stage
The Velvet Underground Live 1969
John Cale - Fragments of a Rainy Season
John Barry - Live at the Royal Albert Hall, April 1999 (bootleg)
The Velvet Underground Live At End Cole Avenue (bootleg)
Peter Gabriel Plays Live

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Chris Cornell Songbook and John Mayer: Where The Light Is.

Even if you’re on the fence about Mayer, he is a top notch musician and he’s playing with other heavy hitters Dino and Steve Jordan. So good stuff.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The Live at Luther College is worth a listen, even to people who think Dave Matthews is the epitome of lame. Two very good guitarists playing off one another, and there's something nice about hearing the songs laid bare, stripped of all the glossy 90s production values.

5PXSOiE.jpg

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
Hahaha I actually generally can't stand live versions :D
There has been one exception bc of the way the artist changed it up, but I don't remember who it was.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hahaha I actually generally can't stand live versions :D
There has been one exception bc of the way the artist changed it up, but I don't remember who it was.

Same here, the list I posted is the bulk of live stuff I will listen to. In most of them, they are improvements on the studio versions. For instance, compare these two:

I think the live version holds an edge on the studio recording. More energy, and the instrumentation is superior, particularly with the dueling drummers.

Luigi

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've only heard a few live songs, and I always told myself "the recorded version is way better"

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was only going to say one. It's in the OP, too.

Stop Making Sense.

That's also one of my top 10 favorite albums of any kind.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For pretty old stuff, Neil Diamond's Hot August Night live album is good

Agree re Live at Luther College, Toward the Within, and Nirvana Unplugged. I'd also add Alice in Chains unplugged.

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
I mean, any number of Grateful Dead recordings could be on this list. I remember what I've listened to of Lou Reed's Rock N Roll Animal being really good, as well.