• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] ENFJ vs. INFJ?

c-jade

daisies and thunderstorms
MBTI Type
ENFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
From the perspective of cognitive functions, could some ENFJs and INFJs please describe the major differences between the two types?

It's really hard for me to understand how to differentiate between them given that they use all the same functions, just in different orders.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Let's see if I can help since I have been down this road recently.

First, is Fe in the service of Ni or Ni is in the service of Fe? It is hard to tell sometimes, but there is a difference.

Fe as dom is more active, quicker, a doer. Ni as dom is slow reacting, deeper, more detached.

For me, I am an instant response guy. And Ni can be fast, but with Fe in co-pilot mode, decisions come slower, because decisions are made by Fe, not Ni.

Next, Ti vs Se. According to some theorists, the inf function actually rears its head before the tert, because it is connected to the Dom. So Fe with Ti and Ni with Se. There is a struggle in young adulthood between the two. When we get too anxious and stressed, we turn to our inferior function, aka, being in the grip.

Being in the grip is very different between ENFJs and INFJs. ENFJs get trapped in the abyss of inferior Ti, a dark negative place much like severe depression but not quite. INFJs get into Se extremes, including suddenly making frivolous purchases and wanting luxuries.

A much more in depth look into ENFJs in the grip is here.

Here
is the INFJ one.

I really found looking at these very helpful.

I thought I was an introvert.... but it doesn't fit me cognitively.... or socially, really...

c-jade

daisies and thunderstorms
MBTI Type
ENFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=25377]SearchingforPeace[/MENTION], thank you so much for posting this. I read through the two articles you gave me and then did some additional research, and looking at it from the inferior function instead of obsessing over the dominant function helped a lot.

I didn't look very much into loops as much as being in the grip, but I'm guessing if an ENFJ is in a loop where they're only using Ni-Ti, they can appear more introspective than they usually would or be more lost in their own thoughts instead of focusing on the emotions of the outer world? Have you had any experience with being in a loop as an ENFJ?

The more research I do, the more it appears that ENFJ is my type after all. Interestingly, that was what I typed as several years ago when I first started looking into cognitive functions/mbti. It seems I've just been in the grip or in a loop for a long time now, and am particularly stuck in one currently, which has made me seem like a completely different person than who I feel I am or want to be.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=25377]SearchingforPeace[/MENTION], thank you so much for posting this. I read through the two articles you gave me and then did some additional research, and looking at it from the inferior function instead of obsessing over the dominant function helped a lot.

I didn't look very much into loops as much as being in the grip, but I'm guessing if an ENFJ is in a loop where they're only using Ni-Ti, they can appear more introspective than they usually would or be more lost in their own thoughts instead of focusing on the emotions of the outer world? Have you had any experience with being in a loop as an ENFJ?

The more research I do, the more it appears that ENFJ is my type after all. Interestingly, that was what I typed as several years ago when I first started looking into cognitive functions/mbti. It seems I've just been in the grip or in a loop for a long time now, and am particularly stuck in one currently, which has made me seem like a completely different person than who I feel I am or want to be.

I basically lived in a Ni-Ti loop since childhood, shoving Fe into the subconscious. Everybody but me could see me as an extremely friendly, trustworthy, social, outgoing guy, but I felt I was a cold thinker outsider who struggled to get to know people, engage socially, etc.

Here is an article on
the inferior function/
I found useful. Basically, our inferior becomes an issue as it develops and we can get trapped in it, because it is the same function pair as our dominant and we get pulled there until it is integrated.

I never got INFJ descriptions about behavior in the grip....they were not me...

Being a ENFJ isn't bad....like ESFPs, ENTJs, ESTPs, ENTPs, and ESTJs,(all extroverts, hmmm), they get a bad wrap on the internet......

I really enjoy accepting that I almost always have the right word to say without thinking about it...... and feeling comfortable approaching anyone....

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Some bigger differences between the INFJ and ENFJ is that Fe (relationships with others is the #1 goal). So yes Ni would be under service for Fe in this case. ENFJ's have faster intuitive timing for relationships than INFJ's do although not as much as in depth because that's not so much of Fe's concern. ENFJ's like to start projects and work on them, Fe being a judging function too is organizing events and others where as INFJ's focus more on for truth and meaning for things, like human nature for example might be their #1 concern instead of actually being with others.

Either way, they will tend to be much more unconventional in terms of thought compared to the SFJ's, although easily more the INFJ more than their extroverted counterparts.

And NFJ's will definitely focus on more of abstract ways of helping others than concrete ways as much.

What [MENTION=25377]SearchingforPeace[/MENTION] said about inferior functions, (Glad you found the one for INFJ for yourself).

Personally as an INFJ, inferior Se can mean self-abusing yourself through gorging of food too just only for stress. I do that sometimes and it only ends up hurting me and making me feel like crap for the rest of the day unable to focus on the more important task at hand.

If you continue to find yourself to be ENFJ for a while, let me know how your social interactions go in life. ;)

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What [MENTION=25377]SearchingforPeace[/MENTION] said about inferior functions, (Glad you found the one for INFJ for yourself).

Personally as an INFJ, inferior Se can mean self-abusing yourself through gorging of food too just only for stress. I do that sometimes and it only ends up hurting me and making me feel like crap for the rest of the day unable to focus on the more important task at hand.

If you continue to find yourself to be ENFJ for a while, let me know how your social interactions go in life. ;)

Going every easily, actually. Still struggle to self-promote and network for my own benefit. I did recently realize I am at my best, most capable, when I am talking with people without thinking on advance what I am saying, just being me, rather than thinking about being me, if that makes sense.

Since accepting this, I realize I really don't need to use Ti as much. My inner peace factor climbed. I shut down Ti a bunch, just turn off the inner dialogue, an happy, empty headed 9, lol....

Everything is in my brain after all. I don't need to think about anything in order to access the info. I just talk and write and be......