• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Does this even look like hell?

Lark

Well, there was a lot of hype about this game recently, I havent watched all the youtubes exhaustively and I've tried to avoid any with major spoilers, such as endings or complete walk throughs (I love those though as it saves me the trouble of buying any of that modern crap), anyway, do you think they got hell down to a tee or are they way wide of the mark?

I think the hellscape resembles that featured in books like house infernal, city infernal and infernal angel, which I think were influenced by material such as Clive Barker's hellraiser or hell bound heart before it.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I thought hell was a metaphor.

That said, I'd picture it looking more like the artwork of HR Giger or something.

Lark

I thought hell was a metaphor.

That said, I'd picture it looking more like the artwork of HR Giger or something.

Its not exactly Giger as I know him, definitely looks more Barker to my mind but its a matter of opinion probably.

I know some people think its metaphor, I am not sure that any of the novelists get it right, although Barker did make it scary again, the infernal angels books are good but they are more punk fantasy or goth punk fantasy than Barker so horrific if you think about it but otherwise not that scary, people all eventually get turned into shit eating maggots in hell if they dont become sadistic satanists or arent baby killing satanists to begin with.

Nomendei

Elegance of chaos
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I don’t think hell would be like this. Hell is supposed to torture sinful humans. But this kind of hell is more likely to scare normal people than actual sinners. Gore, blood, violence and rape are things that frightens us, but not those who are supposed to go to hell. This may even be their heaven. Plus, if you are there for eternity, you are likely to get used to all this mess of blood and flesh. And this is a medieval point of view of hell. If earth evolved, why not hell? In agony, they say that their memories are erased, so they don’t remember why they are there. This is not logical and logical at the same time. There’s no purpose to give them memories, since they is no purpose to become a better human, because they are in hell and won’t leave. I think the concept of hell itself in the point of view of god is illogical. Admitting he put humans on earth to judge our souls, why would he send them to hell for eternity? This is extremely cruel. There is no second chance, no pardon, no possibility to leave, even if you regret what you’ve done. Take a prison for example. If the prisoner has a good behavior, his sentence decreases. There are a lot of criminals who became caring people after prison. If good is omnibenevolent, why does he not give damned souls this possibility? Why does he have to torture them for eternity? If he is omnipotent, why does he not simply destroy their souls, or even simpler turn them good? There is no benefit to keep them conscious. And where does he draw the line between heaven and hell, good and evil? Is there a better Heaven and less good heaven, a less cruel hell and a crueler hell?

As an anecdote, I don’t believe in god, religion or supernatural. In my opinion, hell was created by humans to instore peace. If criminals would find a way to escape authority, they wouldn’t be able to escape an omnipotent judger. They created a fear that was necessary to protect humans from themselves. They prevented potential murderer and rapists from committing.

Lark

I don’t think hell would be like this. Hell is supposed to torture sinful humans. But this kind of hell is more likely to scare normal people than actual sinners. Gore, blood, violence and rape are things that frightens us, but not those who are supposed to go to hell. This may even be their heaven. Plus, if you are there for eternity, you are likely to get used to all this mess of blood and flesh. And this is a medieval point of view of hell. If earth evolved, why not hell? In agony, they say that their memories are erased, so they don’t remember why they are there. This is not logical and logical at the same time. There’s no purpose to give them memories, since they is no purpose to become a better human, because they are in hell and won’t leave. I think the concept of hell itself in the point of view of god is illogical. Admitting he put humans on earth to judge our souls, why would he send them to hell for eternity? This is extremely cruel. There is no second chance, no pardon, no possibility to leave, even if you regret what you’ve done. Take a prison for example. If the prisoner has a good behavior, his sentence decreases. There are a lot of criminals who became caring people after prison. If good is omnibenevolent, why does he not give damned souls this possibility? Why does he have to torture them for eternity? If he is omnipotent, why does he not simply destroy their souls, or even simpler turn them good? There is no benefit to keep them conscious. And where does he draw the line between heaven and hell, good and evil? Is there a better Heaven and less good heaven, a less cruel hell and a crueler hell?

As an anecdote, I don’t believe in god, religion or supernatural. In my opinion, hell was created by humans to instore peace. If criminals would find a way to escape authority, they wouldn’t be able to escape an omnipotent judger. They created a fear that was necessary to protect humans from themselves. They prevented potential murderer and rapists from committing.

I've heard of that before, described as the "utility of God" or "part of the superego". The later idea being support of the "super ego", a strict conscience being the only thing equal to the task of creating a lawful person and lawful society. The former is in loads of sources, Adam Smith goes on about people ordering their conduct as though an impartial observer to it or an impartial observer is watching it. Plato talks about invisibility being a guarantee of evil because it allows escape of other actual or imagined observers.

I am a believer but I do think there's lots of evidence in the bible for the thesis that US preacher outlined in Love Wins, now Beorn said that he lost his church and everything for preaching it, which is a shame, its close to the RCC positions as I understand them.

Hell is separation from God, in this life or the afterlife, a cleansing fire is either a metaphor or an actuality but its described as a reality rather than a place and most of the gulf between the damned and the saved is a consequence of the damned wanting to be so. It could be like this depiction but it could be different too. If there's personal heavens there's personal hells too.

Meister Eckhart talked about angels stripping people of everything when they died, or it could be considered the process of aging and dying involving a loss of all things of this life, but the important thing was that if able to leave this life behind they'd see the angels as angels in fact but if they didnt they'd see them as tormenting devils. Erich Fromm goes on about it in his book about different modes of life, having versus being.

I know the evangelists who believe in the sort of capricious God that is the horror of atheists profess to believe that God simply is that way, questioning it or crying injustice or refusing to believe in God's existence on this basis is like saying that you find gravity an injustice and then walking off a cliff. There's method in that madness, I think its consistent in some ways, I just think its mistaken.

I dont think that God created the world and put humans on it to judge their souls, that would imply that God was capable of creating flawed, broken, sinful souls detestable to him, which was sort of Satan's logic in paradise lost, nope, I think God loves, love doesnt compel, its why when people turn away from him or refuse his free gift of his own presence that he accepts it.

The idea that sadists would find the Agony version of hell a paradise is a point well made. In one of the hellraiser films Barker has one of the characters go down into hell and encounter another character who is a sadist and they are trapped in a room full of sleeping, vulnerable women but when he makes any move towards them they disappear and he is perpetually tormented that way. I thought it was kind of ingenious but it was executed in a manner in the film that made it a bit hilarious (the people were on these tables or beds that disappeared like a draw being closed into a wall when he stepped in their direction. In the other fictional source, house infernal, city infernal, infernal angel, the author actually says, yeah, that hell is kind of heaven for sadists but they cant relax for a second because they'll wind up the prey of some other sadistic monster.

Traditionally, Heaven and Hell are the states of your nous. They are not places you go. You can tell who is in heaven or hell just by looking at them. Some people wander around in a sort of middle ground of limbo, or "fence sitting."

Christian views on Hell - Wikipedia

"One expression of the Eastern teaching is that hell and heaven are dimensions of God's intensifying presence, as this presence is experienced either as torment or as paradise depending on the spiritual state of a person dwelling with God. For one who hates God and by extension hates himself as God's image-bearer, to be encompassed by the divine presence could only result in unspeakable anguish. "Those theological symbols, heaven and hell, are not crudely understood as spatial destinations but rather refer to the experience of God's presence according to two different modes."

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
It reminds me of the depictions of Hell I've seen in other video games, like Diablo. As such, it's not necessarily very original, but such vignettes have a certain artistry to them. Perhaps Satan fancies himself as a sort of sculptor?

To be fair, Hell has been shown so many times, it's getting hard to come up with any thing new.