• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you story yourself?

Olm the Water King

across the universe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
https://aeon.co/essays/let-s-ditch-the-dangerous-idea-that-life-is-a-story

I am not a story

Some find it comforting to think of life as a story. Others find that absurd. So are you a Narrative or a non-Narrative?

by Galen Strawson

‘Each of us constructs and lives a “narrative”,’ wrote the British neurologist Oliver Sacks, ‘this narrative is us’. Likewise the American cognitive psychologist Jerome Bruner: ‘Self is a perpetually rewritten story.’ And: ‘In the end, we become the autobiographical narratives by which we “tell about” our lives.’ Or a fellow American psychologist, Dan P McAdams: ‘We are all storytellers, and we are the stories we tell.’ And here’s the American moral philosopher J David Velleman: ‘We invent ourselves… but we really are the characters we invent.’ And, for good measure, another American philosopher, Daniel Dennett: ‘we are all virtuoso novelists, who find ourselves engaged in all sorts of behaviour… and we always put the best “faces” on it we can. We try to make all of our material cohere into a single good story. And that story is our autobiography. The chief fictional character at the centre of that autobiography is one’s self.’

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
Yes, but I don't have just one story. The story changes depending on how I feel.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Storying ourselves encourages reflectiveness and helps us learn about ourselves, our mistakes and our place in this world so that we can pass on that knowledge and those lessons to the next generation and contribute to the evolution of the unfolding creation.

My past is full of stories I enjoy reliving. Sometimes, it seems like that was another person that did those things and that those things happened to.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I've said before that everyone is the protagonist of their own narratives.

Although at some point that perception has to come up against the impersonal systems that don't care for their narrative. Particularly by mentally placing yourself, with as much honesty as is possible for that person, and speculating on whether they really would deal with a situation as they imagine themselves to be able to.

Meeting an example of reality like that is a good test of the story's integrity and if they don't act as they thought they would or should, then it's time to switch up the narrative and be more objective.

Kheledon

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I would think this is an N/S issue. Ns, I would think, who are strong in making connections between past events (so as to better predict the future), would be more inclined to see their lives as a kind of narrative (as a result of a well-developed sense of the past and the likely unfolding of the future). For many S types, it's as if their entire history is present with them at all times. There is no past, in a sense, for someone who's highly S dominant. N dominant people are attuned to connections between the past, present, and future. They may be more inclined, therefore, to see their lives as linear narratives.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Same set of experiences, different ways of weaving the thread. Depends wholly on the vantage point; where you are at any given moment in life. Shift your perspective, get a different picture.

Constellations: It All Depends On Your Point Of View - Windows to the Universe

It All Depends On Your Point Of View

In most cases, however, the stars that we see that seem to be "close" to each other actually are quite far apart, some stars are much closer or farther than others as is shown in the example below of Ursa Major, the big dipper.

In the figure we imagine that we have travelled through space till we are about the same distance away as earth but from a different position in space. The stars in Ursa Major would change as is shown in the lower part of the picture.

big_dipper.jpg

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
I would think this is an N/S issue. Ns, I would think, who are strong in making connections between past events (so as to better predict the future), would be more inclined to see their lives as a kind of narrative (as a result of a well-developed sense of the past and the likely unfolding of the future). For many S types, it's as if their entire history is present with them at all times. There is no past, in a sense, for someone who's highly S dominant. N dominant people are attuned to connections between the past, present, and future. They may be more inclined, therefore, to see their lives as linear narratives.

You are describing Ni/Se users vs Ne/Si users here, not simply iNtution vs Sensing.

The first half of the iNtuitive club do have a very directional and sequential approach, where one thing "just leads to another", but this is most certainly not the case for those who are strong in Ne. Compare posts on the same topic by a Ni dom on here to a Ne dom; the differences are vast.

Lark

A lot, lot more when I was a lot, lot younger, I used to keep journals which I've for the most part destroyed, most of the time they were stream of consciousness nonsense but they did reflect the fact that I had a narrative in mind.

I can identify the behaviour in others a lot, like when they are overwhelmingly playing a storied part themselves and getting agitated when others dont play the parts they expect of them or what them to play, though I've equally seen its lack, I dont mean the unconsciously storied but the completely chaotic, individuals who it appears not even God knows what they are doing.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have always reflected certain views, sympathies, and desires/visions in my stories. My stories are expressions of certain insights of which I desire to share. Even if the story isn't about me it has elements that very much come from within I feel I must share..

I use to imagine myself being a cartoonist. Having a documentary of myself. I use to roleplaying my stories with friends allowing them to create their own characters within it and build around it. I use to desire to be a mangaka, experimented with lego stop motion animation moving onto actual cartoon animation.

Anything without that makes no sense. My characters find their place in the world often with some sort of purpose and position, as I tend to seek and see value in.

As for S/N, I don't focus on the past hardly at all. I don't think Ne really view the past as a present thing. That's an S thing. Both Ne and Ni I believe have a sense of futurism, just to different degrees and, perhaps, different ways.

Hitoshi-San

MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
???
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This seems like something I would totally do, but I've never actually caught myself doing it. I feel I don't really remember things in a specific/exponential way, or I just ramble on and on about one thing too much for the story to get anywhere. But, if I were to cut all the rambling from the story, I would feel like something was super out of place.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I see my life as a series of short stories, not a continuous narrative. Even as a kid I would think of my eyes as a video camera and act like I was filming my experience for a TV show. I'd be narrating it in my mind.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No. As much as I want to add theatrics. It doesn't add up too well. My life is too sporadic and otherworldly.

Just go to an oxygen bar. Then you'll understand how my life is. :cool:

evilrubberduckie

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes, Im amazing. What the fuck? People are in awe of me eating breakfast,.

Given I eat some nasty ass shit. But still

Kheledon

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You are describing Ni/Se users vs Ne/Si users here, not simply iNtution vs Sensing.

The first half of the iNtuitive club do have a very directional and sequential approach, where one thing "just leads to another", but this is most certainly not the case for those who are strong in Ne. Compare posts on the same topic by a Ni dom on here to a Ne dom; the differences are vast.

That's an interesting distinction that I had not considered. Thanks.

So, please help me to understand. Which M/B types are Ni/Se users, and which are the Ne/Si users? I am not sure that I know of any, but if you could give me some type names (either M/B or Socionics), I think I could figure this out and grasp the distinction you are making.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
That's an interesting distinction that I had not considered. Thanks.

So, please help me to understand. Which M/B types are Ni/Se users, and which are the Ne/Si users? I am not sure that I know of any, but if you could give me some type names (either M/B or Socionics), I think I could figure this out and grasp the distinction you are making.

Functional Analysis of Psychological Types

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
no, but I narrate my life in the style of David Attenborough on many occasions! :laugh:

"and the whatever has spotted her prey and sneaks up on them, camouflaging herself with the shelving despite the showy colors of her plumage... as she draws nearer she prepares to pounce, ending the inflated ego of her prey for at least the next hour"

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes, but I don't have just one story. The story changes depending on how I feel.

All stories change. It's called plot and twists and side stories to the main story. Maybe I don't read enough made up stories in a book to know the "norm", but all the changes and such are part of the same story and just progression and such. All of our stories interact with each other and the build the full picture as a whole of the person.

Kheledon

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Nice chart. Thanks.

I note that there are no types that have both Ne and Si in their first two positions (ego), nor are there any that have Ni and Se in their first two positions. There are some types that have this combo in their second and third M/B positions, to wit:

ESFJ and ESTJ have Si (auxilliary) and Ne (tertiary)
ENFJ and ESTJ have Ni (auxilliary) and Se (tertiary)
INFP and INTP have Ne (auxilliary) and Si (tertiary)
ISFP and ISTP have Se (auxilliary) and Ni (tertiary)

From what I can see, no Ni dom has any Se in their top three functions, nor does any Ne dom have Si in their top three functions. Conversely, no Se dom has Ni in their top three functions, nor does any Si dom have Ne in their top three functions. Theoretically, of course, we all have all eight functions in our psyches and can learn (with greater or lesser difficulty) to use them all, but this train of thought, when carried to its logical conclusion, obliterates the distinction [MENTION=21639]Kullervo[/MENTION] was trying to make.

:shrug:

I still don't think I am understanding this well.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't think I do this. It has a bit of detachment from self to it. I think that differs from introspection even though they are related.