• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Dark TV shows

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I was listening to a radio program where the host was commenting on the popular tv shows of the last several years and noting that most/all of the "hits" are very dark/cynical and/or have anti-heroes as their protagonists.

Examples: Dexter, The Sopranos, The Wire, True Blood, etc

Because I could not find the original discussion, here is a related article:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/...-all-the-good-television-have-to-be-so-bloody

However, it is not just the violence, but the sense of foreboding perhaps? Or dark gloomy bleakness? That no one in the world is an upright person in a idyllic star trek type world where there are clear cut good guys and bad guys. What do you think causes it?

I feel like with the internet and the massive proliferation of data we have lost a sense of the sacred. A sense that there are idealistic heroes out there who just work for the common good. That doing so means you're a fool. To be honest, I have feelings of nostalgia for the innocence of star trek the next generation or hell even for the Simpsons compared to South Park haha

_eric_

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I say bring it on, there is plenty of the clear cut good/bad style already. A change of pace is certainly welcome. Game of Thrones in particular is a great example and it really keeps things interesting; you can't just call out the entire story from the beginning. I have all five books as well. It makes the characters feel far more real and not like some paragon of virtue that you can't really relate to. Even the apparently 'good' characters still get their hands in some pretty dirty stuff, and are far from invincible.

There is room enough for both styles of story telling, and I'm glad that the balance between the two is finally beginning to even out.

(I'm sooo looking forward to getting the Game of Thrones season 2 blu-ray set in the mail this Friday!!!)